What is the best lens for taking potrait or wedding photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairi

Sep 24, 2007
Indoor potrait recommended lens = ..........

Wedding photoshot recommended lens = .........

Indoor potrait recommended lens = ..........

Wedding photoshot recommended lens = .........

there is no magic answer
it all depends on the lighting situation at that point in time
and the location

sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

but generally a good flash
a nice wide to short tele zoom lens
lots of batteries and memory
and good light

there is no magic answer
it all depends on the lighting situation at that point in time
and the location

sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

but generally a good flash
a nice wide to short tele zoom lens
lots of batteries and memory
and good light

So that will be either a 17-55 for DX and 24-70 for FX?

FF or DX?

Assuming FX,

Indoor potrait recommended lens = 50mm
Wedding photoshot recommended lens = 24-70 or 24-105

So.... flash is a must?
currently, I have 18-200mm and 12-24mm.... is it essential?

So.... flash is a must?

Flash is a must for sure. I got it when i helped my friend to shoot his solemnization. As for lens, i use my 50mm f1.8 for static shots ( before and maybe after all the important part of the event) and used my 18-135mm kit lens for the important part of the event. With a flash, the lens work much faster due to more light and you will have less blur (right?). i would say use your 18-200mm. Especially when you need close up shot of the couples during important part like kissing etc. You may not have the space to move about due to the fact that there may be some other relative of the couple moving around to take shots with their own camera as well. However, do consider the working distance of the flash, i don't think you can still get the nice flash effect when you are shooting at 200mm. The zoom lens is just for the flexibility. Must play with the flash before you shoot for others~ Just my own feel after one experience~ Correct me if i am wrong. :D

Yes, you'd need a good flash.

The focal lenght depends on you and how you shoot...

Need a flash for sure. Unless you prepare to up the ISO a lot. 12-24 not too useful in this case.

You could use 18-200 all the way.

So.... flash is a must?

If you are not going to use flash, sometimes iso3200 with f1.2 lens is barely enough to capture certain ballrooms like four seasons. Most places require iso1600 f2.

Need a flash for sure. Unless you prepare to up the ISO a lot. 12-24 not too useful in this case.

You could use 18-200 all the way.

Won't really suggest the 18-200... mebbe a 28-70 if you dun need the wide...

Won't really suggest the 18-200... mebbe a 28-70 if you dun need the wide...

Why not? Better than 12-24 since he only have 2 lens.

24-70 is the way to go in FF. If DX, 17-55.

Why not? Better than 12-24 since he only have 2 lens.

24-70 is the way to go in FF. If DX, 17-55.

As mentioned, if you dun need the WIDE. For a DX crop, 28-70 translates to 42-105.... very good for portraitures and candids... The wider lengths would be good for the table shots or whole family shots...

As mentioned, if you dun need the WIDE. For a DX crop, 28-70 translates to 42-105.... very good for portraitures and candids... The wider lengths would be good for the table shots or whole family shots...

Unless he really unconventional. Else, sure need wide angle for family and dinner table shots. Maybe also required for gate-crashing and tea ceremony.

Did he state that he is using DX or FF?

wat is FF or DX? I'm using D80.....

wat is FF or DX? I'm using D80.....
I see,

10.5mm
12~24mm
17~35mm
17~55mm
18~70mm
50mm
85mm
105mm
70~200mm

all are commonly seen in a wedding, each photographers have different preference, so my best lens may not be your best lens.

Unless he really unconventional. Else, sure need wide angle for family and dinner table shots. Maybe also required for gate-crashing and tea ceremony.

Did he state that he is using DX or FF?

We can safely assume he's on DX... when you have FF digital cams, you should know what you're doing anyway... :bsmilie::sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.