What is the best book for a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzy

Dec 18, 2008
Hi,

Expert's I am a newbie. Wondering what is the best photography book to read for me to learn.

thanks,

Hi, I am newbie too. I am not sure what is the best book to read, but I am reading "The digital photography book" by Scott Kelby. There are 3 volumes in total. Those are very comprehensive and easy to grasp.

Hello all, I am also a newbie. Just got the Canon 500d. Just wondering about dry cabinet settings. My Digi-Cab DB-036 is now at 41 RH. It's ok right? Cause the instruction manual says 55 to 40 RH for camera equipment? Once it goes lower than 40 RH (say 39 RH) I should alter the setting a little?

Does the national library have photography books on loan? Roughly how much is a photography book and which author is good and easy to understand?

http://www.books-by-isbn.com/1-9063...al-Photography-3rd-Edition-1-906372-76-4.html

51vf5CGsYhL.jpg

I would recommend this magazine, picked it up at a neighbourhood 7-11 and was seriously surprised at the breadth of coverage.

It covers everything from Choosing a camera (not just DSLRs but compacts and superzooms too), basics of photo taking, even post-processing with examples and comparisons from most of the major PP programs like Photoshop, GIMP and Picasa.

Honestly I should've bought it before I got my camera, so don't be put off by the SGD$14.80 price tag (since it's imported from the UK).

if you plan to keep some books, get the Bryan Peterson series.

the rest of beginner books, just borrow from library will do.

I've read several photograpghy books. These 2 main ones are probably what alot will recommend.

I'll go with Scott Kelby's "Digital Photography" book for a start. Vol 1&2 are really useful for people trying play around with the camera without much of the tech talk.

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is also another very good book for slightly more advanced user but there are some things in the book which he did not explain properly. :dunno:

I recommend Bryan Peterson books too! I think the best book I've read so far is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

38138368.JPG

my recommendations,

Kodak book to learn how the camera works and techniques.

Tom Ang books to have an idea what you can do with a camera.

Nat Geo books on travelling with a camera.

By then, more or less you will have picked a specialty.

best thing is that they are in the NLB catalogue. :)

Last edited:
For me, I prefer the Scott kelby Book vol 1-3, Understanding exposure and The moment it clicks. Thinking of buying another one, but note sure. But all these books helped me a lot. Usually after reading, I would practice and try some of the tips. Now, I'm looking for a good back that would cover more on composition, etc.

Scott Kelby is a good author. If you interested, can also find out his book called '7 point system on photoshop'.. the title is something like that, forgot the actual name.. shame...

There are tons of books in the library for people new to photography.

Just search these keywords:
- Basic photography
- Photography tips
- Introduction to photography
etc.

Hope this helps you a little. ;)

There are tons of books in the library for people new to photography.

Just search these keywords:
- Basic photography
- Photography tips
- Introduction to photography
etc.

Hope this helps you a little. ;)

Thanks Bro. However I am sure there are many but are there any which u can single out which is easy to reference and right to the point. there are some that I read which is very chim even though it says basic photography. haa haa

Hi,
You may want to check out this book by Bryan Peterson - 'Understanding Photography Field Guide''. Explains the basic concepts very clearly in an easy to undestand way. Its available in NLB too.

Library is your best friends, I always go there to borrow books on photography.

Bryan Peterson's is a good read. The Digital Photography Book series by Scott Kelby is good learning material as well.

But before u have the chance to physically read the books, u can always check out Cambridge in Colors. Great online resource

ryan

http://www.books-by-isbn.com/1-9063...al-Photography-3rd-Edition-1-906372-76-4.html

51vf5CGsYhL.jpg

I would recommend this magazine, picked it up at a neighbourhood 7-11 and was seriously surprised at the breadth of coverage.

It covers everything from Choosing a camera (not just DSLRs but compacts and superzooms too), basics of photo taking, even post-processing with examples and comparisons from most of the major PP programs like Photoshop, GIMP and Picasa.

Honestly I should've bought it before I got my camera, so don't be put off by the SGD$14.80 price tag (since it's imported from the UK).

In fact this is the magazine that kick start my interest in photography!

Hi,

Expert's I am a newbie. Wondering what is the best photography book to read for me to learn.

thanks,

when i was new to this, i devoured books for hours in the library, then felt more inspiration to shoot.

be it photoshop books, photography books, or just bokos with nice photos in them, i think every single one of them, well-written or not, nicely laid out or not.. they made a difference.

so head down to the photography section in nlb today. it is foc, that is the best part.

Wow... who resurrected this thread?

In any case, there is a wealth of info to be found in libraries.. However those tend to focus more on individual topics and the finer points of art.

For starting out, just pick up a photography magazine or trawl forums. The fundamentals are usually the same, all that remains is to try them, search then post clarifications and learn.

Much of the learning is done by shooting it yourself and then looking at what you get. Joining a group shoot gives you friends to ask (and sometimes lenses to borrow too) and usually you'll find a niche that you'll love be it landscape, portraits or macros etc.

After reading some of the suggestion , went to Kinokuniya and bought the Ulitmate Guide to Digital Photography @ 20% discount.

Also pick up a Hong Kong food guide to prepare for my next year HK trip to fully utilise my S90. Hope by then I know a little more of photography when taking pictures.

IMG_0078.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.