What is the actual meaning of "Wahlau"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper

Oct 16, 2004
You hear this interjection "wahlau" in everyday Singaporean conversation. "Wahlau! this is so ex...", "Wahlau, so big!..." But what is the meaning of "Wahlau"? :think: I think it is quite funny :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
wah lau...
wah = expression of yelling
lau = in this instance = father or somebody elder

so something like oh my father...
Wah Lan .. like that also can huh?

eric69 said:
Wah Lan .. like that also can huh?

my hokkien not so good... besides.. this way not so vulgar rite...

maybe i interpret yours...

wah = expression of yelling...
lan = blue...

so wah lan is like yelling about the big blue sky... ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
my hokkien not so good... besides.. this way not so vulgar rite...

maybe i interpret yours...

wah = expression of yelling...
lan = blue...

so wah lan is like yelling about the big blue sky... ;p
wat lan, you're good, man!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Piper said:
You hear this interjection "wahlau" in everyday Singaporean conversation. "Wahlau! this is so ex...", "Wahlau, so big!..." But what is the meaning of "Wahlau"? :think: I think it is quite funny :bsmilie:

Wah lau, you really dunno ah?

Oliginally, it was Wah Lan, a Hokkien (a dialect) Phrase

Wah -> Me
Lan -> Male Genital

Yah, its exactly like What-The-****!

As The Fine City of Singapore progresses, the folks get more refined. So Lan is an obsolete word and replaced by Lau (Means Old, short for Ah Lau, which means your father).

Fact is, when you were a kid you get slapped by your Ah Lau when you exclaimed "wah lan" as it was unacceptable for a kid to swear. So you get away by using Lan and Lau interchangeably. So when you were dued to be punished for swearing, you tried to explain your way out to your Ah Lau, that you weren't swearing and you were telling your friend "Wah Lau holds high post in the company and respected by many."

So "Lan" evolves into "Lau" which is a socially more acceptable word.

Piper said:

Wahlau ! Like that also want to post?

wah laoz eh~ can compile CS hokkien book liao la! haha

may be CS can help tourisium by compiling a singlish handbook. profit can goes to upgrading servers and stuff. may even get stb grant lay.

litefoot said:
Wah lau, you really dunno ah?

Oliginally, it was Wah Lan, a Hokkien (a dialect) Phrase

Wah -> Me
Lan -> Male Genital

Yah, its exactly like What-The-****!

As The Fine City of Singapore progresses, the folks get more refined. So Lan is an obsolete word and replaced by Lau (Means Old, short for Ah Lau, which means your father).

Fact is, when you were a kid you get slapped by your Ah Lau when you exclaimed "wah lan" as it was unacceptable for a kid to swear. So you get away by using Lan and Lau interchangeably. So when you were dued to be punished for swearing, you tried to explain your way out to your Ah Lau, that you weren't swearing and you were telling your friend "Wah Lau holds high post in the company and respected by many."

So "Lan" evolves into "Lau" which is a socially more acceptable word.

Wau lau, are you doing your master on "The Evolution of Lau" in NUS?

Sion said:
Wau lau, are you doing your master on "The Evolution of Lau" in NUS?

Solly hor, completed liow.... ;p ;p

Sion said:
In my limited Hokkein I think the lau in Wahlau is:

Lau Kay Bu (Old mother hen).

Lau Kuay Bu is Lau Kuay Bu, very nutrition tonic for man, now very rare, Lau Goh (old goose) can or not? Or you prefer spring chicken? :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
Lau Kay Bu is Lau Kay Bu, very nutrition tonic for man, now very rare, Lau Goh (old goose) can or not? Or you prefer spring chicken?

Not lao kay bu, that's old fake mother, should be kuay... :think:

Old Fake Mother != Old Mother Hen :nono:

kenele said:
'Wah Lau' is the same as 'Wah Peh' not 'pear' but Peh as in father.

seldom hear ppl yell Wah Peh... in conversation maybe Wah eh lau peh or something...

btw now my turn to ask... anybody know What is the actual meaning of "Wah Piang"?

Why dun we list down......keke!

There are many Wah's for example

1) Wah Piang
2) Wah Lan
3) Wah Saiz
4) Wah Lau
5) Wah Kao/Gao
6) Wah
7) Lau Tak Wah (Is this counted? Hehe..... :bsmilie:)
8)
9)
10)
11)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
wah lau...
wah = expression of yelling
lau = in this instance = father or somebody elder

so something like oh my father...

this one I am familair because in my younger days, my grandma did explain to me about this expression and I was told not to say it because of the significant.

In Hokkien term, "wah Lau" is oh my father, or to the married woman is, oh my hubby. In the old days, this cry was heard only in funeral and especially when the coffin was lowered to be burried, and the children will all scream, wah lau, wah lau, wah lau ...... as loud as possible so that the dead father/husband can hear who scream the loudest (he is supposed to be the most filial) .

So this cry was carried forward to those tattoo guys, and when they are in disagreement, the chief always scream, >>>> wah lau, lim peh (your father) yao beh si (not dead yet) li ko kau peh kau boh.........

So the younger generation actually does not understand this true meaning of this word, and in every instance they kau peh kau boh >>> wah lau eh...

Status
Not open for further replies.