What is that thing called?

gohjialong

Jul 16, 2010
The background thats usually white which studio photographers use for models or objects to take their photos , what is it called , anybody can help me? Those in schools which the OHPs use, is it totally the same?

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Light tent? Backdrop?

The big piece of paper behind the model. does that help? haha. guess it would be backdrop. but anyway whats the definition for the both?

Ok i think its backdrop. did a research on the word and its what i wanted. haha. now i need to know whats the cost roughly to get one up, including tripods to hold it up, the poles... etc. any idea? thanks alot.

Ok i think its backdrop. did a research on the word and its what i wanted. haha. now i need to know whats the cost roughly to get one up, including tripods to hold it up, the poles... etc. any idea? thanks alot.

Hope it helps... as I got the same question asked a month or 2 ago...

Those backdrops that I'm looking at are made of paper... and they run like $90+ for a pretty lengthy roll...

The stand (2 stand to be precise + a pole) would cost around $100+ for a simple one... a stable one could easily cost 2 to 3 times that price... Of course, it all depend on what you're using for... You won't want that thing to collapse on your model while shooting right :bsmilie:

Generally... that's the price you're looking at for a proper one... Otherwise, you can also DIY using "Tek koh" + 2 of the "tek koh holder" to hold up the paper... You can also use alternative materials for backdrop too if you're tight on budget... but then do remember, the papers are there for a purpose (colour wise) ;)

If you're using it just for 1 photoshoot however, do consider renting a studio that comes with it... It's more cost-effective this way :)

Last edited:
The background thats usually white which studio photographers use for models or objects to take their photos , what is it called , anybody can help me? Those in schools which the OHPs use, is it totally the same?
Err...white backdrop?

Actually any white wall can do....non-textured. To make it pure white, you'll have to light it. For me, I'll use 2 lights to light the back and then the rest for the subject.

Last edited:
eulee said:
Err...white backdrop?

Actually any white wall can do....non-textured. To make it pure white, you'll have to light it. For me, I'll use 2 lights to light the back and then the rest for the subject.

I don have white walls so I need to get a bkgnd haha.

PaulKami said:
Hope it helps... as I got the same question asked a month or 2 ago...

Those backdrops that I'm looking at are made of paper... and they run like $90+ for a pretty lengthy roll...

The stand (2 stand to be precise + a pole) would cost around $100+ for a simple one... a stable one could easily cost 2 to 3 times that price... Of course, it all depend on what you're using for... You won't want that thing to collapse on your model while shooting right :bsmilie:

Generally... that's the price you're looking at for a proper one... Otherwise, you can also DIY using "Tek koh" + 2 of the "tek koh holder" to hold up the paper... You can also use alternative materials for backdrop too if you're tight on budget... but then do remember, the papers are there for a purpose (colour wise) ;)

If you're using it just for 1 photoshoot however, do consider renting a studio that comes with it... It's more cost-effective this way :)

I see I see. Yeah of cos I wouldn't want the thing to drop haha but I would use it for more than one time so I need to invest in a proper one. Thanks for the rough guide. And don think the "tek koh" would last long haha. Nice idea though.