What is Street Photography to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More important is that active photographers must go out
and make efforts to record these events for future
generations to appreciate...
this I agree, I always like to look through the photographic pages of books documentating Singapore's past and especially those showing the 60s and 70s... they aren't there if none took the effort to shoot them. Every shot you took is a history recorded.

One of the reasons why I don't "shoot" people is the intrusion of privacy....
haha, you must hate photog like Bruce Gilden :) (I can't wait for your response after you have viewed his youtube video :)) me included but I don't mind my picture taken so long I don't feel intruded, it's subjective.

:D so who gonna go out and shoot street photography today ?!! So many interesting things out there !! So many "moments" waiting to be recorded !!! :D

Call IT helpdesk tell them your flash outdated, cannot go to certain websites to do work :bsmilie:

Thats what I did

Ohoh, and, I watched this already.
And actually I watched before, since I started my photography. :D
Idk, I quite like it actually eh, but if somebody do that in my face, I would some kinda "WTF!??!" to my friends hahahahaha.

You mentioned enjoying documents of street scenes.

What do you think? Are street photos mere records?
any picture taken is a record, street or not. I particularly like a photo taken on a group of residents witnessing a community leader sweeping the floor and a bystander boy peeing.

so what's your take?

Thank you for telling us what you like. And thank you for reminding us that every picture is a record.

But, is it possible that some "records" are not mere "records"? That like the picture of Churchill, perhaps the "record" was a little more than a mere likeness and record of Churchill? You know, that some records go a little "beyond"?

And pray, what is yours?

U seems to comment alot but never got any chance to see any of your works.

Why dont show us some stuff since u have so many comments and views abt Rf and street photography ... So that we can learn something

I give thumbs up to Bruce Gilden :thumbsup:

i just saw the video, wow, he got guts man! style is unique! controversial lah shooting in their faces! do that in Singapore sure kerna! haha, maybe ang mo acceptable lah?

I actually have an honor of meeting one of the son's of Singapore's most talented & recognised photographer.

I met Dr Yip, a dentist a couple of months ago by chance. Came to know that his father is the late Yip Cheong Fun. I believe the late Yip Cheong Fun did capture early street shooting of Singapore.

http://www.yipcheongfun.com/photos/Braving-the-rain.jpg
http://www.yipcheongfun.com/photos/ChinatownFruitSeller.A5.jpg

Can check out more of his works at:
http://www.yipcheongfun.com/

Now now, late Mr Yip did not have a modern day DSLR like those available today with jumbo jet settings but still managed to captured excellent shots. Medium format & TLR was the cameras back than.

Last edited:
what's your take?

You mentioned enjoying documents of street scenes.

What do you think? Are street photos mere records?

any picture taken is a record, street or not. I particularly like a photo taken on a group of residents witnessing a community leader sweeping the floor and a bystander boy peeing.

so what's your take?

Thank you for telling us what you like. And thank you for reminding us that every picture is a record.

But, is it possible that some "records" are not mere "records"? That like the picture of Churchill, perhaps the "record" was a little more than a mere likeness and record of Churchill? You know, that some records go a little "beyond"?

And pray, what is yours?

U seems to comment alot but never got any chance to see any of your works.

Why dont show us some stuff since u have so many comments and views abt Rf and street photography ... So that we can learn something

Haha yea man, what's your take what's your take what's the problem of you about what's people's take? :bsmilie:

no problems at all..

generally feels that ppl here talk too much and do nothing. :)

its like my M8, many ppl talk so much abt this camera... abt the uv/ir and its not full frame... and so on..

to me , just another tool thats all. can shoot means can shoot .. don't need to talk so much

Last edited:
I agree, but this is a discussiion thread so I guess you're right many who do will naturally post their stuff in the gallery right? I didn't see any discussion on equipment at all, pure discussion sticking to the topic, isn't that good? I find this thread very good read with many good info and many things I didn't know became clearer. I'll go shoot more and try out them out and perhaps post some in the gallery section once I have more confidence.

hey any more of these?!!! I can't find greg's examples of the boy peeing street shot, any idea where they might be? I saw them in MPH before sometime back I think. Mr Yip's street scenes were superb, whether he did it for money or for passion, it's a memorable records, be it street or salon la. Where to find those tug boats anymore man? Thanks for the links.

I believe he did it out of passion. One of Mr Yip's son is actually selling prints of the work of his old man, at chinatown, near the german sausage dude.

I dont think you can find such tug boats or such scenes in Singapore anymore.

I believe he did it out of passion. One of Mr Yip's son is actually selling prints of the work of his old man, at chinatown, near the german sausage dude.

I dont think you can find such tug boats or such scenes in Singapore anymore.
thanks for the info bro, I'll check it out.

i also see some selling laminated A4 size photos in clarke quay area. They're great man and they should go to some museum, but quality not so good, have that 'replica' feel whahaha.

so all those shots of sam shui women, tug boat coolies are considered street photography or not or just record shots?

no problems at all..

its like my M8, many ppl talk so much abt this camera... abt the uv/ir and its not full frame... and so on..

to me , just another tool thats all. can shoot means can shoot .. don't need to talk so much

Totally agree! :thumbsup:

Personally, I feel a good street photography should have a form of life in it to
call it a street photo.

///

I actually have an honor of meeting one of the son's of Singapore's most talented & recognised photographer.

I met Dr Yip, a dentist a couple of months ago by chance. Came to know that his father is the late Yip Cheong Fun. I believe the late Yip Cheong Fun did capture early street shooting of Singapore.

http://www.yipcheongfun.com/photos/Braving-the-rain.jpg
http://www.yipcheongfun.com/photos/ChinatownFruitSeller.A5.jpg

Can check out more of his works at:
http://www.yipcheongfun.com/

Now now, late Mr Yip did not have a modern day DSLR like those available today with jumbo jet settings but still managed to captured excellent shots. Medium format & TLR was the cameras back than.

wow thanks for sharing!
:thumbsup:

thanks for the info bro, I'll check it out.

i also see some selling laminated A4 size photos in clarke quay area. They're great man and they should go to some museum, but quality not so good, have that 'replica' feel whahaha.

so all those shots of sam shui women, tug boat coolies are considered street photography or not or just record shots?

They are still street to me, just that they were taken way back, they seem like records to you because you dont see all these scenes in Singapore anymore.

They are still street to me, just that they were taken way back, they seem like records to you because you dont see all these scenes in Singapore anymore.

Yes, they maybe history but they are totally different kind of photographic atmosphere which cannot be duplicated elsewhere...... I captured some of those shots and it stills amazed me when I looked at them....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.