What is Street Photography to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg

Jul 24, 2002
... entirely in your own opinion and context. No right or wrong answers here.

People in their natural habitat. Doing their own things. Expressions.

..do you know a photographer(s) whose street works suits your taste and why?, or perhaps why not?

presenting an opinion. humour. social statements.

street photographers i like, matt stuart, hin chua, rui pulha, nick turpin.

presenting an opinion. humour. social statements.

street photographers i like, matt stuart, hin chua, rui pulha, nick turpin.

I will check their work out. Thanks

I like scattered works from many photographers, but I consistently like Marc Riboud's, especially his collection of work for his time spent in China.

People in their natural habitat. Doing their own things. Expressions.

would you say it's a street photographer's expression and ability when he successfully captured the expressions of their subject in their most natural way?

do you prefer you interpret his work or read his interpretations of his work? why?

I will check their work out. Thanks

I like scattered works from many photographers, but I consistently like Marc Riboud's, especially his collection of work for his time spent in China.

most of what i like is just general humour.. some might find it frivolous.

this is hin chua's site, he is flickr, name is hinius.

you have already found matt stuart..

rui palha's site.. he is on flickr too.

nick turpin's flickr.

i will update later with other street photographers i like. :) mainly flickr sites. you can check out HARDCORE STREET PHOTOGRAPHY and EXTREME STREET PHOTOGRAPHY, they are excellent groups in flickr with loads of nice stuff.

Wow nice thread this is.
I love street photography too.

streets. candids. make up my answer. :)

Please do not start a discussion thread in the gallery subforums. Instead, please do so in the General, Reviews, Tech Talk subforum. Thread moved.

Last edited:
matt's work definitely sing to me. I like his eyes, very sharp and based on his stuffs on display, I can say he really has 'fast hands'.

mmm out of all that i have mentioned, i like hin for particular series, i.e. they called me a corporate whore and after the avalanche.

nick turpin is also very funny with subtle humour.

you can take a look at all the inpublic crowd, they are generally very good. :)

Finally....a thread that'd make me post in CS. Haha.

Matt Stuart's great.

Do you fellas feel that street photography is either
a. misinterpreted in Sg
b. undervalued in Sg?

Just something I sometimes think about.

Finally....a thread that'd make me post in CS. Haha.

Matt Stuart's great.

Do you fellas feel that street photography is either
a. misinterpreted in Sg
b. undervalued in Sg?

Just something I sometimes think about.

answer to a) definitely, it's loosely defined, covers a wide domain and often times disputed against documentary pj type of work, or mistakenly defining any shot taken in the 'street' as typical street photography. There're many appropriate definitions for it, most of them valid in my opinion so long the shots captured natural human emotions. Then again, must shots contain human subjects? Well I don't think so, so the story goes...

answer to b) how? in commercial sense? well, against product/fashion or even wedding projects, I guess alot of people wouldn't treat street seriously commercially.

street photography section in clubsnap is mixed with candids.

that said, i'll be fair and blunt, i find the streets of singapore (and asia, in general), much less interesting than in places like london. london is just a lot more quirky, i don't know how to describe it.

street photography section in clubsnap is mixed with candids.

that said, i'll be fair and blunt, i find the streets of singapore (and asia, in general), much less interesting than in places like london. london is just a lot more quirky, i don't know how to describe it.

I attended Marc's exhibition in Singapore way back in early 2000 and actually got close to see his prints. Seeing the actual prints made a hugh difference and impression on me of all his work China. He didn't just spend some time photographing there, he spent 'like almost his entire life' there. I like many magnum photogs, but I prefer Marc's work of China subjects.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive...mage01_VForm&IID=2S5RYD1AYI7H&PN=21&CT=Search

Street shots were often captured with most of photog's intention, but on inspection after it's printed, even the photog himself are amazed more 'gems' were captured in the same shot, and this i guarrantee you this happens very frequently, often a boon than bane. Surprises surprises.

Wow nice thread this is.
I love street photography too.

streets. candids. make up my answer. :)
a good friend of mine shoots with his lomo. He's got a keen eye and his colorful lomo shots of Maldives street were simply amazing. Though many street are done in b&w (my preference too), seeing his lomo works in full vivid colors is just speechless for me. Hats off to him..

Status
Not open for further replies.