What is slow-sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.
slow sync = flash + original speed (exposure setting) as if without flash.

Kho King said:
slow sync = flash + original speed (exposure setting) as if without flash.

need it be original speed?
a shutter speed that is faster than the original metered shutter speed will still be considered slow sync if it this shutter speed is less than flash sync speed.

correct me if im wrong.

for example.
ambient light gives f2.8 1 second.
shooting at f2.8 1/15 (not the actual shutter speed) is considered slow sync.
assuming you are shooting with a F100 which has a flash sync speed of 1/250

this concept is well described in the article that kira posted

showtime said:
need it be original speed?
a shutter speed that is faster than the original metered shutter speed will still be considered slow sync if it this shutter speed is less than flash sync speed.

correct me if im wrong.

for example.
ambient light gives f2.8 1 second.
shooting at f2.8 1/15 (not the actual shutter speed) is considered slow sync.
assuming you are shooting with a F100 which has a flash sync speed of 1/250

this concept is well described in the article that kira posted

Yes that is slow sync....

Slow sync is when your shuttle speed is slower then the camera's flash sync speed, It doensn't matters what speed you're shooting at... Most SLR camera nowadays have a flash sync speed of between 1/60s to 1/125s so shooting at a speed slower then this range is consider slow sync for that camera....

For your camera's flash sync speed, please refer to your camera's manual....

Hope this helps.

thanks for replying so fast...
yep... my F80 has sync of 1/60 to 1/125...
wish i had something better though... fill flash in day time is a pain for me...

Fill flash in the day with your built in flash? I'll suggest get a better flash unit... The built in flash is good only if you're close to your subjects.. I'm using the F80 with a SB80Dx, don't have any problems with fill flash during the day leh....

If I'm not wrong, the manual for the F80 have the specification of the built in flash... When you compare those the the spec of the SB80DX, you'll realise where your problem is... IMO, the built in flash is only good when you'll either too lazy to bring out your flash unit or for those close up fill flash....

showtime said:
thanks for replying so fast...
yep... my F80 has sync of 1/60 to 1/125...
wish i had something better though... fill flash in day time is a pain for me...

I don't see how by having a flash sync of 1/250 will help in your fill flash during the day leh.....

Anyway, when it comes to flash, you'll seldom use a shuttle speed that's slower then 1/125 unless you've one of those studio flashes....

:D

i think i have got you confused....
i have a sb80... but the problem is that with the 1/125 sync speed, my apperture has to quite small to aviod overexposure... so i cannot get the nice blurry background with the portraits i shoot.

with a sync speed of 1/500, i have 2 stops more on apperture... tada!!! more blur backgrounds!!!!!

i guess this is a very specific need of mine... so not many people will identify with my problem... :D

showtime said:
i have a sb80... but the problem is that with the 1/125 sync speed, my apperture has to quite small to aviod overexposure... so i cannot get the nice blurry background with the portraits i shoot.

with a sync speed of 1/500, i have 2 stops more on apperture... tada!!! more blur backgrounds!!!!!

Hmmmm... You try shooting with Aperature piorty and spot metering and TTL flash?

yep i shoot in A mode...as well as ttl flash... but matric metering...
but i think no diff as the face is very bright too
i try to keep the appertures as wide as i can but the F80 will give a high notification... so i have to stop down...thus no blur effect...

my fill flash is used not so much to light up a dark face, but rather to soften the shadows that have been cast by natural lighting...

showtime said:
yep i shoot in A mode...as well as ttl flash... but matric metering...
but i think no diff as the face is very bright too
i try to keep the appertures as wide as i can but the F80 will give a high notification... so i have to stop down...thus no blur effect...

my fill flash is used not so much to light up a dark face, but rather to soften the shadows that have been cast by natural lighting...

Have you tried shooting in manual mode and by looking at your camera's metering, stop down the flash according? Or maybe just manual mode will fill flash?

hmm i think whatever mode i were to use, if the ambient light is bright, i will have this issue...
i can use manual mode... and overide all the cameras recommendations. but the story still stands that to large an apperture with the slow 1/125 speed will result in overexposure in bright light...

but thats an idea for a high key lighting shoot....
haha everything whilte and only eyebrow hair, lips will be dark. can just imagine it... :)

The good thing about the 80Dx is that it'll tell you if your shoots is over or under expose after taking it....

Here's another ideal since you're using the flash only of softing the shadows... What about using the 80DX as a secondary wireless flash with omni bounce position somewhere and your F80 built in flash to trigger the 80Dx?

showtime said:
hmm i think whatever mode i were to use, if the ambient light is bright, i will have this issue...
i can use manual mode... and overide all the cameras recommendations. but the story still stands that to large an apperture with the slow 1/125 speed will result in overexposure in bright light...

but thats an idea for a high key lighting shoot....
haha everything whilte and only eyebrow hair, lips will be dark. can just imagine it... :)

True true, I've to agree on that....

showtime said:

use a ND +4 filter?

sounds good... then have to set to manual to cancel the monitor preflash of the built in flash... if dont, the 80dx will be decieved....hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.