What is Shutter Count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi I heard of every camera having a shutter count. Wat does this shutter count means and how do I calculate it? If the shutter count is used up, does that means my camera cannot be used anymore and is spoilt? Any1 can advise on this? Ty :)

shutter count is the number of times u taken pictures with yr camera, i.e. d no of times the shutter of d camera opens and closes. Normally u'll calculate it from the file name of yr pic (i dunno how exactly as well cuz i dun reli bother :sweatsm: ) And no, yr camera dun spoil, but u'll have to chg yr shutter once every 50,000 or 100,000 shutter count (depending on model)

In fact all cams have a shutter count limit regardless of what type, film or digital. If you frequently take pics and take a lot at one go, your shutter count limit will reach faster of cos. The shutter can be replaced at the various brand's service centre but what i feel is that if your cameras the normal small P&S type, better off getting a new cam.

I see.. Thanks alot for the information guys! :) I thought my camera will die after the shutter count is up..:bsmilie:

moriahphotos said:
shutter count is the number of times u taken pictures with yr camera, i.e. d no of times the shutter of d camera opens and closes. Normally u'll calculate it from the file name of yr pic (i dunno how exactly as well cuz i dun reli bother :sweatsm: ) And no, yr camera dun spoil, but u'll have to chg yr shutter once every 50,000 or 100,000 shutter count (depending on model)

anyone any idea the cost of changing the shutter?

think for some brands, got software that can tell u the shutter count of your camera. can do a search in the forums. i remember seeing such threads. if not then bring to the service centre, they can check for u too.

jonnie84 said:

think for some brands, got software that can tell u the shutter count of your camera. can do a search in the forums. i remember seeing such threads. if not then bring to the service centre, they can check for u too.

Usually Canon ones are around $100+ to $200+, depending on the model.

jonnie84 said:

The only DSLR I know can show shutter count is the Kodak FF DSLR. Apart from that, no other DSLRs will display their shutter count in the menu option.

espn said:
The only DSLR I know can show shutter count is the Kodak FF DSLR. Apart from that, no other DSLRs will display their shutter count in the menu option.

U mean the Kodak DCS Professional?

moriahphotos said:

Wow, That means that in my 6 years using my Nikon F65, I never even reach 50,000 shots! Now with my D50, I am not even hitting 5,000 shot yet after 6 months....:think:

blive said:
Wow, That means that in my 6 years using my Nikon F65, I never even reach 50,000 shots! Now with my D50, I am not even hitting 5,000 shot yet after 6 months....:think:

Cos for digital, one will keep shooting but in film, one will usually be more careful when he/she depresses that shutter.

Snoweagle said:
Cos for digital, one will keep shooting but in film, one will usually be more careful when he/she depresses that shutter.

yup agreed 101%. film costs too high to go trigger happy. but tat keeps u improving too, cos u wanna get the best out of each shot. now i use DSLR, sometimes i just shoot n shoot, but i'm not really improving much... the attitude of getting the best out of each shot really pushes u to your limits, and breaking them faster.

now i use D70, can easily clock up a few hundred shots for simple events, but it turns out that so many is cannot make it one. :sweat:

i should really reflect upon myself. :think:

jonnie84 said:
yup agreed 101%. film costs too high to go trigger happy. but tat keeps u improving too, cos u wanna get the best out of each shot. now i use DSLR, sometimes i just shoot n shoot, but i'm not really improving much... the attitude of getting the best out of each shot really pushes u to your limits, and breaking them faster.

now i use D70, can easily clock up a few hundred shots for simple events, but it turns out that so many is cannot make it one. :sweat:

I'm still using a film SLR though, so everytime i go out with my friends to take, i always clocked the least shots but i'm also that sort who only take what's necessary. Just like one of my friend who shoots and shoots but never improved.

True that film costs are quite high and worse if using slides. I tried slides once and the quality was 'wow!!!' But cost of buying and developing are a lot higher than negatives. But for me, i'm still a film shooter rather than digital.

jonnie84 said:

couldn't agree more... DSLR has bred a new generation of trigger-happy photog (me inclusive:sweatsm: ) Out of the hundreds that i take, less than 30 can actually make it to the print:sweat:

moriahphotos said:
couldn't agree more... DSLR has bred a new generation of trigger-happy photog (me inclusive:sweatsm: ) Out of the hundreds that i take, less than 30 can actually make it to the print:sweat:

That's y film ones help you to improve and slides will help u improve better. I did think of getting a DSLR when i start to work but also confused of really getting it or not, or maybe spend on getting a newer flash and lens.

Well, what applies for film photography should still apply for digital. You still want to get that "shot". No point just shooting. I have got problems before, where I had so many of the same shots, that I waste time going through to delete them, and retain only a few. Now, even with digital, I am still quite prudent with my shots.

Snoweagle said:
That's y film ones help you to improve and slides will help u improve better. I did think of getting a DSLR when i start to work but also confused of really getting it or not, or maybe spend on getting a newer flash and lens.
Its how you use the camera that counts, not the format. It's that spirit of wanting to keep improving your skill, not whether you take more or few shots.

blive said:
Its how you use the camera that counts, not the format. It's that spirit of wanting to keep improving your skill, not whether you take more or few shots.

But improving as confident of your shots in terms of exposures and compositions. Digital shooters have a tendecy to view every pic after it's taken and imagine if u're taking it for a event, u'll miss out some crucial moments.

I chose film becos of it's quality and colour reproduction, especially with slides. It's challenging when taking with film.

I went to attend this one day workshop on photography a few weeks ago. The instructor actually advised us to be more trigger-happy coz when you take several shots, maybe one will turn up good only. For myself, I try my best to really compose the scene before capturing thats why I am abit slow when taking photos(my gf and friend always complain I take very long to take 1 photo).. haha think mayb I am more suitable for the film generation..:)

aaron80 said:
I went to attend this one day workshop on photography a few weeks ago. The instructor actually advised us to be more trigger-happy coz when you take several shots, maybe one will turn up good only. For myself, I try my best to really compose the scene before capturing thats why I am abit slow when taking photos(my gf and friend always complain I take very long to take 1 photo).. haha think mayb I am more suitable for the film generation..:)

Trigger happy yes, but if you can supplement the developing and cost for the films (if u're a film shooter). For digital of cos.....anything goes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.