What is my rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sha0ye

Jul 14, 2005
Alright, recently I found a photo I took, in which it is has picture of buildings, being used in the City Gallery at URA for its interactive presentation. I wasn't inform of it at all. I am not quite happy to see it being used without me being at least informed. So what is my rights regarding pictures I took with buildings as it's main subject?

well...do you have the money to suit them for damages?

simply put .. if you took the photo and you werent under contract then you own the complete copyright to the photo and if you havent authorised anyone to re-produce etc that photo then the other party are up for civil stat damanges as they are violating you copyright. Given its being used in a commersial context i would say you have a good right to go to a laywer and have a letter of demand sent to them, informing them of the breach.

HOWEVER this being singapore and URA being a stat board .. well you will have to check that the government doesnt have to honour copyright .

PS: its doesnt matter what the SUBJECT of the photo is, only the AUTHOR (ie YOU).

First step before doing anything else or tkaing any steps, is to document the infringement. Bring a video cam to video the presentation, and then make sure the video is date/time stamped.

Alright, recently I found a photo I took, in which it is has picture of buildings, being used in the City Gallery at URA for its interactive presentation. I wasn't inform of it at all. I am not quite happy to see it being used without me being at least informed. So what is my rights regarding pictures I took with buildings as it's main subject?

as long as you can be 100% sure that what you saw was your work, and there's no sign of acknowledgement, and you have the original work/file with you, just write to the newspapers to ask URA for acknowledgement

My view is, even if there's acknowledgment, it may not be a defence against infringement.

It is a well held misconception that giving acknowledgment or credits entitles one to use the works in any way they deem fit without having to consult the rights holder.

My view is, even if there's acknowledgment, it may not be a defence against infringement.

It is a well held misconception that giving acknowledgment or credits entitles one to use the works in any way they deem fit without having to consult the rights holder.

then how? what you want to do? take video inside URA then post on youtube?

vince is correct, acknowledgement of the source is not the same as having permission to use.

but eikins point of writing to the paper/URA to get them to pay to use your work would be the right thing to do..

and in this case if the URA acknowledged the work it would be worse as it is implying to the public that they have permission to use when i fact they dont.

vince is correct, acknowledgement of the source is not the same as having permission to use.

but eikins point of writing to the paper/URA to get them to pay to use your work would be the right thing to do..

and in this case if the URA acknowledged the work it would be worse as it is implying to the public that they have permission to use when i fact they dont.

simply put, URA as a government agency does not need to seek your approval to use a picture you've conveniently published somewhere, what you can contribute is getting the media to ''spread'' the message that an acknowledgement should be made mandatory.

to make things clearer for you, the presentation is made for public education, and it'll be comparable to publishing a thesis and the author of the thesis makes some quotes off some other publications. you don't expect the author to call up every single person he quotes in order to have his thesis published.

Read Post #7 again to discern what my reason for taking the video was.

Did I talk about posting on Youtube?

You jumped the gun on this one again :)

I was making a general comment that giving acknowledgment may not be an adequate defence against infringement. I expressed no view on the present case as there are a lot of facts still unclear.

For example, its surprising that from the statement "being used in the City Gallery at URA for its interactive presentation" you can infer that the purpose of the presentation is being used for public education. To me its unclear what the purpose of the presentation is.

simply put, URA as a government agency does not need to seek your approval to use a picture you've conveniently published somewhere, what you can contribute is getting the media to ''spread'' the message that an acknowledgement should be made mandatory.

to make things clearer for you, the presentation is made for public education, and it'll be comparable to publishing a thesis and the author of the thesis makes some quotes off some other publications. you don't expect the author to call up every single person he quotes in order to have his thesis published.

Post #7 was merely intended to say that before you start beating the grass and alerting the snake, to properly document the infringing act. I do not have any expectations for the TS in Post #7.

I'm not sure how many different ways you want me to say this.

excellent, so what do you expect TS to do with the video recording after that?

You jumped the gun on this one again :)

I was making a general comment that giving acknowledgment may not be an adequate defence against infringement. I expressed no view on the present case as there are a lot of facts still unclear.

For example, its surprising that from the statement "being used in the City Gallery at URA for its interactive presentation" you can infer that the purpose of the presentation is being used for public education. To me its unclear what the purpose of the presentation is.

well, i didn't even make this post for you. i was explaining to TS how to look at the situation. oh well, don't waste my time.

As for the bit on being a government agency, I'm sure since you brought up this defence, you are aware that relying on this defence (even if valid) would mean the government must first inform the owner of the copyright of what they are doing.

Alright, acknowledged that I didn't read clearly. In light of this clarification, I withdraw the first and second paragraphs of of Post #15. The third paragraph is still applicable.

well, i didn't even make this post for you. i was explaining to TS how to look at the situation. oh well, don't waste my time.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

i'm not entertaining anymore of your questions vince123123, like i said, don't waste my time. if you want you go find out more yourself, i've said what i wanted to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.