What is my next camera ?

yongwei

Jan 2, 2013
Singapore
Im now using Nikon D5100, AF-S 18-55
& i have another Sigma lens 18-200,
i wish to sell my D5100 basic set & upgrade to another model(maybe just buy body only ?)
but i dont know beside of D7000 what else i can choose....
anyone can advice ??

i wish to sell my D5100 basic set & upgrade to another model(maybe just buy body only ?)
anyone can advice ??

If you want to upgrade, you choices are only D5200 and D7000, if you want to keep your lenses.

If you are going to sell your lenses, you can consider going full frame.

Seriously speaking, the 18-200 Sigma is not very impressive, and the 18-55 kit lens you can get rid of easily together with your D5100. Lenses matter more when it comes to image quality. You might want to think about upgrading your glass too.

Nikon D5100 is still a great camera. I used it for almost a year, and still loved it. It can produce fantastic images. I have a friend who still uses D5100 and Tamron 17-50mm and produced sharp portraits. If want to upgrade, maybe get D7000 or wait for D7100 or D400, and keep D5100 as a back-up camera? or get some great lens like 50mm f1.8G / 85mm f1.8G / 35mm f1.8g. I have shot some great images with 18-55mm lens too. (I still love my 18-55mm lens)

really thanks for your advice =)
I also think of sell all & get D7000
But I wonder can sell it(set & lens) at how much •••••

50mm f1.8 ? I think can give it a try =)

any reason for upgrading? any budget?

no reason, no budget issue?
than can go D4, so you don't have to upgrade for long long time..... :devil:

agree with catchlights. why do you want to upgrade? and how far up do you want to go?

If you are serious about photography and are determined to learn, it is good to start at higher end camera, you learn more at faster rate. If budget is not a major concern, get a full frame camera and good lenses.

agree with catchlights. why do you want to upgrade? and how far up do you want to go?

Looking at the lenses, I'd rather spend the 'upgrade' money on a good one over spending it on body.

You will love that lens.

anyone can advice ??

erm. Maybe you would like to elaborate more like .. why u want to change?
If not..We..or at least me would think you just feel like upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Hmm if thats the case..then D7000 could be a good choice (or wait abit more if you can because. its successor could be rolling out soon). Or yea like other mention..You can jump into Full frame also. That will be a very big jump in term of upgrade. ;)

Well, if you are on a budget side, go for D7000, it's a good Camera, i had been using it for 1year+, still perfectly well. Save the extra buck for lenses.

If you have more $$$ to spend, go for a FX camera, like D600, D700 or D800 if you have more budget.
Spend on Nikon Trinity lenses if you have budget :)

anyone can advice ??

Why upgrade? It won't make your pictures better.

Why upgrade? It won't make your pictures better.

+1

If your phototaking skills are lousy:

- and you buy a d800, you will just take very very large lousy pictures.
- and you buy a D4, you will just take many many lousy pictures with very high ISO.
- and you buy a D7000, you will just take more lousy pictures with your current lenses.

But if you have the skills but you are hitting a wall with your equipment, you will pretty much also know why you want to upgrade, and to what camera body/lenses.

Good pictures are made by good photographers, not good gear. Gear is just a tool.

Last edited:
Most if not all experienced photographers use higher end gears and good lenses. Of course, it doesn't mean getting high end camera will immediately make you a good photographer, you have to learn to be one. If budget is not a concern, start your journey and learn photography with higher end camera and lenses. Your skills develop faster with good gears. And, learn Photoshop too.

Last edited:
Thats right.. if you have the money. By all means. Just get what you feel like. Get the best also ok.

But 1 thing TS and many people need to know is.. By doing so.. dosent mean your picture will straight away be very good or at least what you see (on the internet from other people. If you think you can achieve the same with the same gear..you might be wrong. Unless u have the skill or is better than him/her.)

Same. Buying a BMW or Lamborghini wont make you a better driver. But no doubt..we know its good car. :bsmilie:

I using nikon D7000 with 28mm & 50mm f1.8G.
Great pictures taken. Prefer the 50mm for the bokeh for certain pictures.

Thanks for so many advice, think i will keep my camera & try to purchase an 50mm f1.8 to use.
=)

Thanks for so many advice, think i will keep my camera & try to purchase an 50mm f1.8 to use.
=)

Remember to get the Nikon 50mm/1.8G. So it can autofocus on your camera. Also consider the 35/1.8G, another excellent lens.