What is max length (fully retracted) and weight of a tripod allowable to hand carry

e69087

Aug 17, 2005
Northern Singapore
Hi all, i would like to know what is max length (fully retracted) and weight of a tripod allowable to hand carry onto a flight?

Which airports are you flying into and out of?

Some airports do not allow any sort of tripod to be handcarried. best you check it in.

Read this thread for a partial list of airports.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294592

As for airports ok with tripods, your tripod need to adhere to handcarry dimension restrictions

Last edited:
Tripod mostly can't be brought onto plane but mini tripod, I tried, ok as it's inside my bag. My friend even encounter that allen key also cannot be brought on plane, so, play safe some time. :D

Ok, thanks for the info. I refer to most general airports around the world. I guess i have to put inside my luggage and check in. My wife probably won't be happy about it.

Ok, thanks for the info. I refer to most general airports around the world. I guess i have to put inside my luggage and check in. My wife probably won't be happy about it.

Tripod allowance is more of an airport restriction. And different airports have different restrictions. There is no model answer.

I tried handcarry my manfrotto befree tripod to Taiwan in December 2014 and it was OK.

"Welcome to Taiwan!"

Had no problem shuttling between US and Europe hand carrying my tripod