what is lens hood for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxkat

Jun 5, 2007
when i'm taking wideangle scenery shots.. is it better to use hood?

or.. what's the real purpose of using hood?

tia

The hood is to help protect your lens from damage and from flare. Damage as in your cam falls lens first into the ground in which your lens have a higher chance of survival. Flare as in shooting almost directly into the sun that can cause bright spots in your pics. Hope that answers you.:)

yes.. thanks.
useful link too.

it says hoods are expensive.. i wonder how much? any recommended hood for 50mm f1.8 and the D80 18-135mm kit lens?

The hood is to help protect your lens from damage and from flare. Damage as in your cam falls lens first into the ground in which your lens have a higher chance of survival. Flare as in shooting almost directly into the sun that can cause bright spots in your pics. Hope that answers you.:)

i totally agree to that it really protected my macro lens i dropped in school lol kinda dumb rite juz took out put on table wanted clean and bb the lens with the body fell onli lens hood crack!thanks to the lord lol ;p

i totally agree to that it really protected my macro lens i dropped in school lol kinda dumb rite juz took out put on table wanted clean and bb the lens with the body fell onli lens hood crack!thanks to the lord lol ;p

Theoretically, les hood are not able to protect lenses from a fall. You just got lucky.

recommended to keep hood on during shooting in the day all the time?

yes. even if it's late night just reverse the hood to protect your lens. you may never know someone would be running and hit your lens.

yes. even if it's late night just reverse the hood to protect your lens. you may never know someone would be running and hit your lens.
what you mean by "reverse the hood"?

i suppose 'should' still use hood even with CPL attached?

thanks,

what you mean by "reverse the hood"?
i.e. reverse on your lens, opposite from 'petals' facing outwards.

i suppose 'should' still use hood even with CPL attached?

Some hoods have a 'hole' as a provision for this purpose, while most don't. I just adjust the CPL, then attach back the hood.

i.e. reverse on your lens, opposite from 'petals' facing outwards.

ok.. dont quite understand. i thot that's how the hood should be mounted, ie opposite from petals facing outwards.

so wat's the diff with "reverse the hood"?

when i'm taking wideangle scenery shots.. is it better to use hood?

or.. what's the real purpose of using hood?

tia

For me, the "real" purpose is to reduce flare, the added bonus is to prevent smudging of the lense with your (or others) fingers accidentally contacted the glass.

ok.. dont quite understand. i thot that's how the hood should be mounted, ie opposite from petals facing outwards.

so wat's the diff with "reverse the hood"?
does that mean you are mounting it that way? in that case why even bother to put on a hood? since its only covering the lens barrel and not stray light. :sweat:

does that mean you are mounting it that way? in that case why even bother to put on a hood? since its only covering the lens barrel and not stray light. :sweat:

?? i dont understand leh.. :bsmilie:

nvm.. i bring to shop let them demo wat is "reverse the hood"

huh... just mount it backwards...

let the front of the hood face backwards and screw it on...

Hi foxxcat,

Go to the link below and have a look at how D80 with its kit lens and hood looks like.

http://big1637dad.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2007/02/d80.html

This is how a hood is mounted for use.

Reverse mounting means to take out the hood, flip 180deg, so that the petal look alike protrusions are facing toward the cam body.

Hope this helps.:)

Just try to remember how the lens hood looked (WRT it's 'kept' position) on the lens when it was first taken out of the box at the shop. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.