What is IR/UV Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

haffendy

Mar 20, 2006
Can all the pros advice me on IR/UV photgraphy? Me now currently using d70s with the kits lens and sigma 70-200. What kind of IR/UV lens should I buy and how can I use it? I'm a total newbies here and know nuts about it:embrass:

Congratulations! Your D70S is a very capable camera for IR. For a start, you need the HOYA R72 filter or its equivalent.

I suggest you post your queries in the IR sub-forum for faster and better responses. All the experts are there waiting and more than willing to assist you.

Last but not least, enjoy!

yyD70S said:
Congratulations! Your D70S is a very capable camera for IR. For a start, you need the HOYA R72 filter or its equivalent.

I suggest you post your queries in the IR sub-forum for faster and better responses. All the experts are there waiting and more than willing to assist you.

Last but not least, enjoy!

Thanks bro. anyway how much it costs?

The Hoya R72 67mm (for the Nikkor AFS 18-70mm kit lens) filter will set you back around $70-80.

If you are using your Sigma telezoom, the filter would cost you above S$200; am assuming a filter size of 77mm.

Check out the IR/UV sub-forum. They have outings almost every 2-3 wks.

haffendy said:
Thanks bro. anyway how much it costs?
Hoya R72, 67mm is for 18~70 lens, it costs around $80.00, you need tripod for IR photography, average exposure time is between 2sec~8sec, when using f8~f11 with ISO 200.

Hope this help.

Snoweagle said:
Then what's the diff between the 72 and the 90 one?

R72 passes only infrared rays above 720nm, general use for film and digital infrared photography.

RM90 passes only infrared rays above 900nm, and very expensive.

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

What do you mean difference between the 72 and the 90 one? Are you referring to price or thread size?

Yo bro!! ;)

Cos i heard that there are 2 diff grades or IR filters, one 72 and 90. So i presume if there's a R72, there's a R90? :confused:

catchlights said:
is HOYA RM90, check this out.

Wow thanks for that link! Everytime i see pics of IR posted have a beautiful blue and white colour at the IR pages but if just by looking at a normal IR pic, looks similar to B&W.

I heard that my EOS 30 is not suitable for IR cos it was said that by using high-speed IR film, it will cause fogging.

Snoweagle said:
Yo bro!! ;)

Cos i heard that there are 2 diff grades or IR filters, one 72 and 90. So i presume if there's a R72, there's a R90? :confused:

Hi bro,

I believe that catchlight have already explain it all. The different grade will permit the different wavelength that can enter the camera.

However, the most common IR Filter used is Hoya R72 and Cokin P007. Need to check if anyone got a Hoya RM90 to test out.

Snoweagle said:
Wow thanks for that link! Everytime i see pics of IR posted have a beautiful blue and white colour at the IR pages but if just by looking at a normal IR pic, looks similar to B&W.

I heard that my EOS 30 is not suitable for IR cos it was said that by using high-speed IR film, it will cause fogging.
You won't find any color beside b&w on my digital infrared pictures, and I try to remind that way.

Francis247 said:
Hi bro,

I believe that catchlight have already explain it all. The different grade will permit the different wavelength that can enter the camaera.

However, the most common IR Filter used is Hoya R72 and Cokin P007. Need to check if anyone got a Hoya RM90.

Well of cos :)

I was told the R72 is most often used. Dunno if i should try IR photography cos those pics i saw in the IR section is 'wow' i like the effects! :bsmilie:

Snoweagle said:
Well of cos :)

I was told the R72 is most often used. Dunno if i should try IR photography cos those pics i saw in the IR section is 'wow' i like the effects! :bsmilie:

Hi there,

Feel free to post your question in the IR Subforum. Maybe you can join us for an outing to try out IR Photography before investing on an IR filter.

Snoweagle said:
If you using Kodak HIE, best is use a manual camera, at lest is a metal film door without windows, and a lens with IR focusing red dot. Modern Canon uses IR beam for frame counter, so it causes fog on IR film.
you can get decent IR effect with 25A (Red) filter, else you can use Hoya R72 or 87 filter, the effect will be more pronounce.
FIY, Kodak HIE only produce b&w infrared images, it will not like what you see in most pictures you saw in IR forum.

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

Feel free to post your question in the IR Subforum. Maybe you can join us for an outing to try out IR Photography before investing on an IR filter.

True, but IR filters are not very cheap though.

catchlights said:
If you using Kodak HIE, best is use a manual camera, at lest is a metal film door without windows, and a lens with IR focusing red dot. Modern Canon uses IR beam for frame counter, so it causes fog on IR film.
you can get decent IR effect with 25A (Red) filter, else you can use Hoya R72 or 87 filter, the effect will be more pronounce.
FIY, Kodak HIE only produce b&w infrared images, it will not like what you see in most pictures you saw in IR forum.

Guess i can't enjoy IR for now and the most i can only go is getting an IR filter.

Snoweagle said:
True, but IR filters are not very cheap though.

Hi Bro,

A 67mm Hoya R72 will cost around $80 or so, but the cost increases exponentially as the thread size increases, maybe you can try your luck in the B&S.

Francis247 said:
Hi Bro,

A 67mm Hoya R72 will cost around $80 or so, but the cost increases exponentially as the thread size increases, maybe you can try your luck in the B&S.

Thanks bro!

I'll try it once i'm free cos now working so don't have a lot of time to take pics. By the way my 28-300mm's only 62mm so i presume it's a bit cheaper. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.