What is in the pot ??

naruto4836

Mar 28, 2011
Konoha Village
Hello everyone.

1st time posting here , pls. provide your C&C .

I hope to improve on my low light street/candid photography via your C&C

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition , lighting ,feel of the photo
2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Develop an eye for Street/Candid shot under low light condition .
3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot was taken at a small scale year end count down fair . Lighting is min . most of the available lights are from the stores at the fair. This explain the strong lighting falling on the child's face.
4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
This shot gives a low key lighting feel which I find interesting . It seem to capture the child's longing for the content within that pot.

Thank you for you time viewing my post.

6627706903_85497a6ae5_z.jpg
[/url] IMG_7972rawpprsm by naruto4836, on Flickr[/IMG]

i will comment on composition.

its not a bad try if u dun have that person (i guess so) wearing blue standing in front of you (bottom left). and the pot is not visible enough. maybe u can try shoot landscape so that the photo have more space.

Last edited:
I like how the light falls on the girl and the shadow it creates. A little more processing can bring out the details better. However, I feel that you can include a larger portion of the pot, that would have strengthen your shot of the child being curious of the pot's content.

i will comment on composition.

its not a bad try if u dun have that person (i guess so) wearing blue standing in front of you (bottom left). and the pot is not visible enough. maybe u can try shoot landscape so that the photo have more space.

Hi Sinned79,

Thank you for the comments. Yes, the patch of blue is the part of the stall keeper , she was in the way came into frame as i click the shutter(she was moving about serving the crowd). I sort of anticipate the shot as the children made a bee line for this stall.

I was trying to take the expression of the child , and so the rest of the composition was not really compost properly. :p

Point taken on part of the pot. But looking at the picture again .

The slight hint of the pot and it's content in the the picture might just cause the viewer of this picture to wonder "Whats really in the pot that attract the child's attention?"

Thanks

I like how the light falls on the girl and the shadow it creates. A little more processing can bring out the details better. However, I feel that you can include a larger portion of the pot, that would have strengthen your shot of the child being curious of the pot's content.

Hi spree86,

Yes, I like the lighting on the child as well. I am not too good with processing so maybe you can help to suggest on processing part that might bring out more detail? I did consider to convert it to mono.. since the dominant tone in the picture are all dark tones.

Thanks.

The slight hint of the pot and it's content in the the picture might just cause the viewer of this picture to wonder "Whats really in the pot that attract the child's attention?"

the pot is really not visible enough. this shot will works better in the landscape shot.

Hi spree86,

Yes, I like the lighting on the child as well. I am not too good with processing so maybe you can help to suggest on processing part that might bring out more detail? I did consider to convert it to mono.. since the dominant tone in the picture are all dark tones.

Thanks.

You can play with the curves to control how much shadow you want on the girl's face. Also, you might want to try burning on the lady in white in the background, to reduce distraction.

Hi Sinned79,

Thank you for the comments. Yes, the patch of blue is the part of the stall keeper , she was in the way came into frame as i click the shutter(she was moving about serving the crowd). I sort of anticipate the shot as the children made a bee line for this stall.

I was trying to take the expression of the child , and so the rest of the composition was not really compost properly. :p

Thanks

I think if you want to drop a hint or something along that sort, you may want to make it more visible by making it take up more space in the frame than to let it occupy <2% of the frame in the dark corner.

the pot is really not visible enough. this shot will works better in the landscape shot.

Hi, thank you for the advice. I tried to see it in the mind's eye , and I could see what you are suggesting. Will try it when I chance upon the "moment"

Thanks.

You can play with the curves to control how much shadow you want on the girl's face. Also, you might want to try burning on the lady in white in the background, to reduce distraction.

Hi Thank you for the suggestion. Burning is 1 of the procedure in photoshop ... but I have not really use photoshop.. I am currently using Canon's DPP to do some edits.

Will test out your suggestion if DPP could do similar . I think the curves thing DPP should hav... not sure abt the burning part.

Thank you for the advice, and suggestion.

I think if you want to drop a hint or something along that sort, you may want to make it more visible by making it take up more space in the frame than to let it occupy <2% of the frame in the dark corner.

Hi , point noted. As Sinned79 have mentioned pic in land scape mode will be better.

Thank you.

Other than the above mentioned which I appreciate(mostly on the technical aspect, and to some degree controllable by the shooter via PP).

I am looking for comments on the "feel" of this picture. Does the pic matches the tittle ? And if it does , how well ?

Looked forward to anyone's comment . I took the plunge, came in here , and I hope to learn more .

Thank you for viewing.

Other than the above mentioned which I appreciate(mostly on the technical aspect, and to some degree controllable by the shooter via PP).

I am looking for comments on the "feel" of this picture. Does the pic matches the tittle ? And if it does , how well ?

Looked forward to anyone's comment . I took the plunge, came in here , and I hope to learn more .

Thank you for viewing.

the feel is only half way there (to match your title). cos the pot is not that visible, it really kills the story if u haven got a title, i would have thought u have accidentally included the pot into the photo.

the feel is only half way there (to match your title). cos the pot is not that visible, it really kills the story if u haven got a title, i would have thought u have accidentally included the pot into the photo.

On a honest note.... the pot was not quite in the frame (as in viewing from the viewfinder when the shot was taken) I am using an 60D.. and viewfinder only covers abt 95%

After viewing through all the shots and this one sort of stand out from the rest. So decided to find out if it would work for others.

Yes I agree with you that the pot sort of save this pic... without it I might not have consider putting it here :p

Thank you.

Kind of similar points as already mentioned.

Likes: I like how the light falls on the main subject, to draw attention to the curious expression on the child's face.

Not-so-likes :) :
- Left arm of the person in the background is distracting.
- pot is barely visible. Instead of thinking "what's really in the pot.....", I'm wondering "what the heck is the child looking at?" ;)
- that blue shoulder in the foreground is a major distraction. If the stallkeeper was moving about swiftly, perhaps a second or 2 later he/she would be out of the frame.

On the whole I like this shot. Good moment!

Kind of similar points as already mentioned.

Likes: I like how the light falls on the main subject, to draw attention to the curious expression on the child's face.

Not-so-likes :) :
- Left arm of the person in the background is distracting.
- pot is barely visible. Instead of thinking "what's really in the pot.....", I'm wondering "what the heck is the child looking at?" ;)
- that blue shoulder in the foreground is a major distraction. If the stallkeeper was moving about swiftly, perhaps a second or 2 later he/she would be out of the frame.

On the whole I like this shot. Good moment!

Hi ZerocoolAstra,

Thank you for the comments.

Subject of the curiosity element is missing...
Only see the girl is curious...