What is 'ghosting' in lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

I've read in the SIGMA website that some of the lenses 'reduces flare and ghosting that tends to occur when using digital SLR cameras.'

1. What is 'ghosting.' I have a vague idea but would like to know more. I've searched in dpreview and various other websites, but no one really explains it. Is there a write-up some where that will explain this?
2. Is there a photo depicting this 'ghosting' phenomena?
3. Are digital cameras REALLY more prone to ghosting or is it marketing strategy at play?

TIA. :)

Canew said:
Hello everyone,

I've read in the SIGMA website that some of the lenses 'reduces flare and ghosting that tends to occur when using digital SLR cameras.'

1. What is 'ghosting.' I have a vague idea but would like to know more. I've searched in dpreview and various other websites, but no one really explains it. Is there a write-up some where that will explain this?
2. Is there a photo depicting this 'ghosting' phenomena?
3. Are digital cameras REALLY more prone to ghosting or is it marketing strategy at play?

TIA. :)

the ghosting effect is due to light from a strong light source in the frame reflecting off the DSLR's sensor and the inward-facing surfaces of the glass in the lens. usually appears diametrically opposite the light source, 180 degrees rotated around the midpoint of the image.

varf said:
the ghosting effect is due to light from a strong light source in the frame reflecting off the DSLR's sensor and the inward-facing surfaces of the glass in the lens. usually appears diametrically opposite the light source, 180 degrees rotated around the midpoint of the image.
Thanks varf. So 'ghosting' does not affect the picture by throwing a double image, right? And does it affect the sharpness of the picture?

ghosting means u like see a halo of another image. it does affect the image

Hm, I'm still quite confused. Any of you out there have any pictures that illustrate this? As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words eh? Good for those who usually exceed the word limit.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to post photos of mine that I suspect is due to ghosting. :confused:

IMG_1243.jpg

this pic exhibits the ghosting effect - there is this smudge-like patch at the shoulder area. if you look carefully it looks like a faded, 180 degree rotation of the bright light source on the left.

we suspected that this was caused by internal reflections off the glass protecting the sensor, and consequently off the inside of the cheap UV filter (Canon 50/1.8 + Hoya UV Guard).

similar shot for comparison, using another 50/1.8 lens with a better UV filter attached, no (or less) ghosting:

IMG_1244.jpg

hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.