What is Four Thirds system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khowen

Jan 19, 2006
I have always wanted to know why the sensor in DSLR is smaller than those 35mm and why DSLR lenses have to X 1.5 (eg. 18mm is 27mm)? Is it becos if DSLRs were to use the sensor of the size that are same as 35mm, they will lose their compactness?
Thus, is this Four Thirds system invented to compensate the image quality since the sensor has become smaller?

What are Four Thirds lenses?

Can anyone enlighten me please?:(

I have read that before starting this thread leh, but I think it only says how it came about:(
So what are 4/3 lenses? :think:
the 4/3 standard is a standard for camera manufacturers to follow for their products to be used interchangeably with others who follow the standard...with standardised lens mount, standardised imaging chip size, amongst other standardised stuff...and actually for 4/3 lenses, its not x1.5 but x2

for example, a 4/3 camera from any manufacturer can use any 4/3 lens from any manufacturer and 4/3 flash from any manufacturer ...

the attraction of the 4/3 standard is that it can potentially lead to compact DSLRs on the one hand, or not so compact DSLRs with very bright and distortion free lenses...

there are a few reasons why DSLRs use chips smaller than 35mm film frame...its cheaper to produce, it would give less light fall off around the edge of the image, smaller cameras can be produced (although the last one hasn't seem to have really come about, maybe because of lens mount size)...

and with increasing quality of the imaging chips, smaller chips can have better noise quality and resolution...its not impossible for 4/3 chips to surpass 35mm film resolution...and for people who insists that "full-frame" chips would also benefit from such tech advances, well, so will medium format chips, so will they buy medium format backs?...

I have always wanted to know why the sensor in DSLR is smaller than those 35mm and why DSLR lenses have to X 1.5 (eg. 18mm is 27mm)? Is it becos if DSLRs were to use the sensor of the size that are same as 35mm, they will lose their compactness?
Thus, is this Four Thirds system invented to compensate the image quality since the sensor has become smaller?

What are Four Thirds lenses?

Can anyone enlighten me please?:(
1) Because if the dslr use 35mm film size sensor, it will be damn expensive.
2) Because if the dslr use 35mm film size sensor, the four corner of the sensor is not as good as the center of the sensor because of micro lenses used in the sensor. On the corner (or the farther distance from centre), the micro lens does received light in angle.
3) Because if the dslr use 35mm film size, the output will be very huge. When the DX sensor size produce 10MP some people complain because the huge size output. For 35mm film size sensor, at least it will produce 16MP.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.