What is faith, its purpose and goals?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Many a time the question on faith is pondering me. What is it and how can photographers acquire the necessary faith to achieve the impossible image that they are dreaming of making?

They say faith cures and people with good faith usually excercise with perfect sincerity. What about photographers who has no faith even in learning from others?

How can one get self help with faith?

I got low self-esteem, no faith in life one. That's why my pictures all sux0rs.

Btw, my mentor's little girl is named Faith. :lovegrin: Adorable kid.

forward said:
Many a time the question on faith is pondering me. What is it and how can photographers acquire the necessary faith to achieve the impossible image that they are dreaming of making?

They say faith cures and people with good faith usually excercise with perfect sincerity. What about photographers who has no faith even in learning from others?

How can one get self help with faith?

I do not see the role of faith in "achieving that impossible image". By "impossible images" I mean images that show humanity or a new way of seeing humanity.

But images such as Ansel Adams "Moonrise", Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother", Eugene Smith's "Tomoko", etc, are the culmination of years of hard work, developing the "inner eye", making tons of mistakes, and good luck.

If one hopes for that impossible image, then

make many exposures
improve oneself besides photography
and pray for luck.

Faith has no role in such matters. Work hard and hope opportuities present themselves. And hopefully you are ready to receive such opportunities.

Being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see.

make it happen.

when i think of faith, dh lawrence comes to mind

This is what I believe:
That I am I.
That my soul is a dark forest.
That my known self will never be more than a little clearing in the forest.
That gods, strange gods, come forth from the forest into the clearing of my known self, and then go back.
That I must have the courage to let them come and go.
That I will never let mankind put anything over me, but that I will try always to recognize and submit to the gods in me and the gods in other men and women.
There is my creed.

apply the lines to photography. i hope you get what i mean.
for the 8 people who voted for faith is a belief, i would like to add that is belief is not without evidence but is active and passive.

Benign said:
To me, faith is never stop buying toto every week. :thumbsup:

HUAT LAAAA :bsmilie:

hahaha, you are so faithful to your ToTo. Even have Toto in Melbourne? not "TaTt"ersalls? haha

Faith, is going to buy a lottery ticket and knowing that you were a good boy this week.

Definition of good boy :-

Helped an old lady across the street and didn't ask about her grand daughter.
Didn't cross-dress all week
Bought the first round of drinks
Parking in a dissabled car space for only 20 minutes
Eating your wifes/partners eggs and yoghurt on toast and syaing," gee this IS healthy"

A definition of Faith :-

Backing Liverpool to take out the cup.

Cheers :)

hahaha, you are so faithful to your ToTo. Even have Toto in Melbourne? not "TaTt"ersalls? haha

Don't forget ...this Saturday got $19millions jackpot ley :thumbsup:

I have bigger faith every time they have big prized draws lor. Greed is good. :devil:

faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. hebrews 11:1

faith is when I walk to my boss office, tell him to give me a promotion and raise my salary by 50%., and he says ok.

How faith is related to photography?

It disciplines your mind to appreciate all things created including your subjects.

It brings about the hollow human urge to unveil and discover the mystery of all things created.

It drives you towards perfection in an imperfect world where it will eventually leads you to conclude that there is one, and can only be one Perfect.

Want a good example?

Nude Photography.

Faith is knowing that WE WILL have a poll about designer underware.

This may be followed by, but I am guessing, a poll about thickness of toilet roll sheets..

I can't wait for that one as I have strong views on the subject !!

What I am really looking forward to "because I have faith", is a poll about kitty litter containers.
To me it is a grey area.
I have tried plastic 12x18's, tried cardboard VCR reciever boxes... hey... I have even tried (you guessed it), re-cycled Toyta hub caps from the 80's.

But I am at a loss.

Yet my faith is strong and I know that; not only will I find out what is best for my kitty litter; but....
I most likely will have the oppertunity to enter into a poll about preferred ways to make a mongoose your best friend ... "one that doesn't read your mail"

Cheers :rolleyes:

drakko said:
faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. hebrews 11:1

What has that got to do with photography?

That because you have faith therefore you will one day produce that "impossible image"?

Dream on!

eyes said:

It disciplines your mind to appreciate all things created including your subjects.

It brings about the hollow human urge to unveil and discover the mystery of all things created.

It drives you towards perfection in an imperfect world where it will eventually leads you to conclude that there is one, and can only be one Perfect.

Want a good example?

Nude Photography.

?????

Wow, such "logic" sure requires a tremendous leap of faith!

Faith is as what Hebrews 11.1 says.

A conviction of hope and an unwavering belief.

It has nothing to do with discipline to appreciate creation, nothing to do with unveiling mystery, nothing to do with striving for perfection.

Nothing to do with photography.

eyes said:
Want a good example?

Nude Photography.

Have "Faith" in the fact that there is an enormous amount of people I would not want to photograph nude :bsmilie:

Faith is something I don't have. And I'm absolutely proud of that.

The_Cheat said:
Faith is something I don't have. And I'm absolutely proud of that.

Probably some may come across the item that one can learn to develop faith but that faith is also trust and a respone. So they say the three levels of faith is

1) belief
2) trust
3) response

What do you folks think?

Status
Not open for further replies.