What is eyepoint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by reno77
I think it means your eye can be further away from the viewfinder and still see the whole view.

huh? this one I dun understand... :)

Eyepoint is another name for 'eye relief' that is the distance from the viewfinder that you can see the entire viewfinder.

It's normally defined as a given distance for a given lens, thus you may have a distance of 20mm with a 50mm lens and 16mm with a 17mm lens and so on.

The term "High Eyepoint" was coined by Nikon to describe their original longer than standard eye relief.

A little exercise :)

Focus on infinity with a standard lens of around 50mm and then move back from the eyepiece about 400mm and note what you see. Then move in progressively until you can see everything in the viewfinder. This should help those who have difficulty with the concept of eyepoint.

so is it like if I change to a bigger eyepiece I get a better eye relief?

Originally posted by Ian
Eyepoint is another name for 'eye relief' that is the distance from the viewfinder that you can see the entire viewfinder.

It's normally defined as a given distance for a given lens, thus you may have a distance of 20mm with a 50mm lens and 16mm with a 17mm lens and so on.

The term "High Eyepoint" was coined by Nikon to describe their original longer than standard eye relief.

A little exercise :)

Focus on infinity with a standard lens of around 50mm and then move back from the eyepiece about 400mm and note what you see. Then move in progressively until you can see everything in the viewfinder. This should help those who have difficulty with the concept of eyepoint.

Originally posted by denizenx
so is it like if I change to a bigger eyepiece I get a better eye relief?

Go back and read what I said, do the exercise and then think about the impossiblity of changing the viewfinder size on a given camera once it's made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.