What is driving like in SG?

......But we have the most expensive prices for cars in the universe. Google for it and u will understand the system. It's meant to control car population and prevent traffic jams.

The farsighted and enlightened Singapore authority is far ahead of many advanced countries in its thinking and policy of controlling the proliferation of car ownership.

Roads have taken a significant precious land area of our small country. We can't keep building roads and car parks.

The day that we could do everything and go everywhere in Singapore with having to drive our cars is a true liberation. :)

And boats too sir...

I think I have decided that if I ever make it to SG...I want to see it by bicycle. Can you go all over the island via bike? I bet you can huh? :)

I might just have to wear red biker shorts... :bsmilie:

And boats too sir...

I think I have decided that if I ever make it to SG...I want to see it by bicycle. Can you go all over the island via bike? I bet you can huh? :)
FYI, you can go from east end to the west end of the tiny red dot on foot if you want to, it won't take you more than a day to do that.

The Singapore area comprises mainland and other islands. The mainland of Singapore measures 50 kilometres (31 mi) from east to west and 27 kilometres (17 mi) from north to south with 193 kilometres (120 mi) of coastline.

I came across this tonight...they ought to make a movie about this.

Posted by mamadondi

"I had participated in this illegal bike races but not as hardcore.I had a 500 Norton I freind a Tiger 100 and another a Honda 405 (nicknamed the black bomber) We joined them just for fun and also who amongst we 3 hada better bike.
THe hellriders I think started at Shenton Way past GPO(a dangerous turn over the bridge)past city hall and on to Orchard Rd via Penang Rd. how far down Orchard Rd not sure . Route back via Bras Basah RD to Shenton Way. The other route was to Nicoll Hwy.to mounbatten rd. The other landmark was the Coq D Orr french restaurant."

They would meet in wee hours of morning and race. Probably gambling too.

Singapore has some wild history.

Last edited:
And boats too sir...

Oh hell yeah u can see entire SG by bike, provided u can take the humidity and heat.

I came across this tonight...they ought to make a movie about this.

Posted by mamadondi

"I had participated in this illegal bike races but not as hardcore.I had a 500 Norton I freind a Tiger 100 and another a Honda 405 (nicknamed the black bomber) We joined them just for fun and also who amongst we 3 hada better bike.
THe hellriders I think started at Shenton Way past GPO(a dangerous turn over the bridge)past city hall and on to Orchard Rd via Penang Rd. how far down Orchard Rd not sure . Route back via Bras Basah RD to Shenton Way. The other route was to Nicoll Hwy.to mounbatten rd. The other landmark was the Coq D Orr french restaurant."

They would meet in wee hours of morning and race. Probably gambling too.

Singapore has some wild history.

Oh yes. We did have some hell riders in the past, in the late 80s to early 90s. Gangs of bikers riding and end up fighting with each other. But take note we are nowhere compared to US Hell Angels on Harleys.

Our bikers were young teens on small 125cc Yamaha or Honda.

As usual, our police finally put a stop to all nonsense by rounding up the gang members.

Hello hloc.

The 90 kph limit is interesting to me as it reminds me of 70's USA 55mph interstate highway speed limits imposed because of the conditions created by oil embargo. They used to run campaigns that said 55 saves lives. It probably does.

I drive to fast. Sometimes like 140 kph. I rode at that speed for a while today. To fast even though the limit is 120.

I remember in the early 90s the interstates were still 55. only in the late 90s it was lifted to 65 mph.

Seems an innocent enough question.

What is the fastest you can go? Are there stupid people everywhere? What is the condition of your roads and highways and bridges?

In case u r interested, we do have some nice beaches

$ForumRunner_20160229_224606.jpg

$ForumRunner_20160229_224622.jpg

$ForumRunner_20160229_224637.jpg

What is driving like you asked?

We meet idiots with a death wish everyday.

[video=youtube;IjdAVGXqPIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjdAVGXqPIk[/video]

Nikonzen, do you have to deal with motorized bicycles and cyclists traveling on roads?

It's becoming an issue as the rules on handling motorized bikes are not clearly defined here.

Nikonzen, do you have to deal with motorized bicycles and cyclists traveling on roads?

It's becoming an issue as the rules on handling motorized bikes are not clearly defined here.

Yes but not so much in the city. Conventional cyclists are a big problem.

Most of the cars in Singapore are under utilized. Being relatively flat land and full of traffic lights (not to mention congestions), we hardly put our cars to any test. For me, D position is almost permanent.

Many Singaporean will not survive on real highway, just cross the island to NS highway, they will encounter problem from the way they drive here. Road hogging is a very common mistake and many didn't know they are making the mistake because they are hardly ever booked.

Signalling is also rare and I am also one of those culprits. We change lane so often that we think it is norm. There are bus lane, sharing with heavy vehicles and now more bicycles, road works, etc. So speeding is almost impossible.

Interestingly, you will see some speed at short burst that stop at the next traffic light just in front of you. If I am the engine, I would be very angry.

Singapore being a little red dot.

Unless you need a car for work as you do lots of sale or travel around a lot everyday to visit clients..etc, you really have little reason to own a car. It's more a luxury then a practical thing to throw money at and worst if you do it to impress a significant other who wants to be driven about. And for families, it really is not a good counter point that you need a car because you have kids. Many have gotten around fine without a car for decades in our history. Don't even get me stated on reckless driving and road bullies. heh