What is DPI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
Hi Guys,

I will like to know, if my vendor printer says that they want a picture of resolution 300 dpi...what does he mean?

It equivalent to how many mega pix in a digital photo?

The DPI is a printing resolution. The higher the DPI, the better the resolution of the print. The DSLRs usually have a DPI of 300 or more. :)

For more information, you can see Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

How about a prosumer camera like Canon S5 IS, dose it produce 300DPI images with it's 8 mega pix?

How about a prosumer camera like Canon S5 IS, dose it produce 300DPI images with it's 8 mega pix?

Hmm, can set the dpi in Photoshop when you go to "Image Size". And most of the time, i resize according to some standards here. Learned about it when i help my friend do his ROM shooting and realise the importance of it. Heng ah, i do some printing myself first to check. Hehe. :)

Here is the link for the standard size@300 dpi ;)

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=311080&highlight=resolution+for+printing

Post #9. :)

Hmm, can set the dpi in Photoshop when you go to "Image Size". And most of the time, i resize according to some standards here. Learned about it when i help my friend do his ROM shooting and realise the importance of it. Heng ah, i do some printing myself first to check. Hehe. :)

Here is the link for the standard size@300 dpi ;)

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=311080&highlight=resolution+for+printing

Post #9. :)

Thanks Bro, this link is very helpful. ;)

Another question, is Pixel per inch = dot per inch ?

If I right click on a photo using Windows, and under the summary tab, I am able to see the DPI in the x & y resolution, what does this indicate? What measurement does windows based on to get the DPI?

Thank you.

Another question, is Pixel per inch = dot per inch ?

If I right click on a photo using Windows, and under the summary tab, I am able to see the DPI in the x & y resolution, what does this indicate? What measurement does windows based on to get the DPI?

Thank you.

Wah... this part a bit "chim"... Haha, paiseh, can't help much on the question. :dunno:

Hehe, let's wait for some "sinseh" to help here. :think:

Wah... this part a bit "chim"... Haha, paiseh, can't help much on the question. :dunno:

Hehe, let's wait for some "sinseh" to help here. :think:

Thanks for the link, bro. After some reading...

The x & y resolution (dpi) quoted is not from Windows, but from the software that the image was last saved. ;)

Thanks for the link, bro. After some reading...

The x & y resolution (dpi) quoted is not from Windows, but from the software that the image was last saved. ;)

Welcome~ Thanks for the info as well~:)

Hi Guys,

I will like to know, if my vendor printer says that they want a picture of resolution 300 dpi...what does he mean?

It equivalent to how many mega pix in a digital photo?
DPI is for printing, so it tells you how many dots can the printer squeeze in to 1 sq inch.

info of PPI

so you take 300 multiply the dimension of print you want to make, so you will get the image size for printing with optimum results.

eg. 300ppi for a 4R (4" x 6") lab print is 1200 pixel by 1800 pixel (300x4, 300x6), so a 2.1 MP (1800x1200=2.16M) camera is able to produce a decent 4R print.

Status
Not open for further replies.