What is cross processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
Hi, I've seen some posts here that are cross processed, and I like the colours.

But what exactly is cross processing? Can digital pics be cross processed using PS? Do I need special filters or equipments?

Thanks.

Yup you can do it in PS.

I did an entire series earlier last year in PS here.

For Nikon Capture users, there's the NikMultimedia filters that comes with an action set that can convert into cross process images easily. Sadly, I've lost my PS action for the above URL :(

Thanks espn,
that's some scary pics.

Just to confirm, this NikMultimedia filters you mention is a PS filter action, and not a filter that you put on your lens, right? Maybe I can search the internet to find some that can download.

espn said:
Yup you can do it in PS.

I did an entire series earlier last year in PS here.

For Nikon Capture users, there's the NikMultimedia filters that comes with an action set that can convert into cross process images easily. Sadly, I've lost my PS action for the above URL :(

There are two version of the nikmultimedia filters, one for PS one for NC. I'm using the ones for NC.

espn said:
There are two version of the nikmultimedia filters, one for PS one for NC. I'm using the ones for NC.

clicknick said:
Hi, I've seen some posts here that are cross processed, and I like the colours.

But what exactly is cross processing? Can digital pics be cross processed using PS? Do I need special filters or equipments?

Thanks.

before you do cross processing digitally, understand how it works in film. the simplest way to explain this is when you develop slides (positives) with chemicals used for developing negatives. this will give you unusual (higher) saturation of colours usually not seen in pictures printed from negatives. i'm not a film expert, ask around to see if the more experienced photogs who have dealt extensively with film can explain better.

eikin said:
before you do cross processing digitally, understand how it works in film. the simplest way to explain this is when you develop slides (positives) with chemicals used for developing negatives. this will give you unusual (higher) saturation of colours usually not seen in pictures printed from negatives. i'm not a film expert, ask around to see if the more experienced photogs who have dealt extensively with film can explain better.

Thanks Eikin for the detail explaination. I assume that cross processing film give random and sometimes unexpected results? So I was hoping that using PS to cross process digital pics might give me more control over the way I want the pic to turn out.

clicknick said:
Thanks Eikin for the detail explaination. I assume that cross processing film give random and sometimes unexpected results? So I was hoping that using PS to cross process digital pics might give me more control over the way I want the pic to turn out.

I myself have nver cross processed any film, but in Bambi Cantrell's Wedding book she says that she has the developer expose for the skin tones and "let the colors go wild" her results semm to be consistently good. dun't know anything about digital tho--i'm just starting in that realm :confused:
HTH
Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.