What is considered "cheating" in photography?

AYC Nee

Sep 26, 2006
Jurong
What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

(1) Cropping
(2) Double or multiple exposure
(3) Use of various filters - color, polarizer, ND, rainbow, etc
(4) Photo editing using Photoshop, etc.
(5) Stitching of photos to form pano, 360 degree views, etc
(6) HDR photography using Photomatix, etc.

Your views much appreciated.

What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

(1) Cropping

By using a camera? :dunno:

i do digital blending/DRI (which most i believe do) sometimes, this also consider cheating? :dunno:

I must be quite the cheat since i always pp my shots.

(1) Cropping

claiming other people's photo as your own would definitely be cheating ;p

those you listed i would consider as enhancing, or at least attempting to enhance a photo.

dead horse alert

What is it? ...

Cheating => When there is only 3 birds on the branch of a tree, you PS in another 1~2 birds???? Consider? There is a changed in the photo originality.

There is no caterpillar on the leaf but u PS in 1 caterpillar biting the leaf with a hole?

anyway .. sometimes i am 'enhancing' the photo, then i compare before and after, i feel i am cheating too .. .lol :dunno:

Dead horse alert ......

'Flogging a dead horse'
If someone is trying to convince people to do or feel something without any hope of succeeding, they're flogging a dead horse. This is used when someone is trying to raise interest in an issue that no-one supports anymore; beating a dead horse will not make it do any more work.

:)

Dead horse alert ......

'Flogging a dead horse'
If someone is trying to convince people to do or feel something without any hope of succeeding, they're flogging a dead horse. This is used when someone is trying to raise interest in an issue that no-one supports anymore; beating a dead horse will not make it do any more work.

:)

Implying this is a meaningless thread? ... *no offense ya*
just confused.

nah this is not meaningless, its a perennial debate that always come up in all photography forums, magazines, books, etc. Whatever it takes to get the image in your head into reality, thats what it takes for me. Cheating would be stealing other ppl's images and passing off as your own (as mentioned above)

don't know anything but pretend know a lot of things,
claim other people works as his/her

are the most commonly known as cheating in photography

nah this is not meaningless, its a perennial debate that always come up in all photography forums, magazines, books, etc. Whatever it takes to get the image in your head into reality, thats what it takes for me. Cheating would be stealing other ppl's images and passing off as your own (as mentioned above)

i see ... thats great ..
at least i am convince i am not cheating .. thats all for me. :>

Close the thread lah.. DEAD horse..