What is Color Filter Array ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwongsm

May 26, 2003
East, Singapore
www.pbase.com
When choosing a digital camera? What actually are you looking into for the specs?

Could someone kindly list the points please ??

By the way, what is Color Filter array? G-R-G-B or C-Y-G-M ? What's the difference ?

Originally posted by cwongsm
When choosing a digital camera? What actually are you looking into for the specs?

Could someone kindly list the points please ??

By the way, what is Color Filter array? G-R-G-B or C-Y-G-M ? What's the difference ?

1. You look for what you need in a camera.

for eg. what final output your camera is for: print? or screen (to be viewed only on the computer)

But now cameras are a min 2 megapixel and above, which is more than enough for most basic printing needs of a 4R picture, den comes the question of WHAT FUNCTION you need.

Full manual controls? Lens (how wide or how tele you need) etc..

It's quite a wide scope to talk abt the more advance camera so my question to you is "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA BE SHOOTING WITH??" :)

I'm sure many CSer here will reply if your a little more specific abt ur needs.

2. Colour filter array is the wat the pixels recieve colour through the lens, either Green-Red-Green-Blus or Cyan-Yellow-Green-Magenta. Tecnically, a film camera picks up light and colour at every "pixel area", but with digital, it picks up the intensity of a colour at it's pixel within the array and "GUESS" the neighbouring pixel's colour to form a picture. Reason this is done is because CCD cannot see colour. It sees only Black and white. It makes use of the colour filter array and creates a picture through channeling the light into Red Green and Blue channels. Add theses channels up and it forms a full colour picture.

Now where is there an extra Green in a RGB photo with a GRGB pixel array? That's because the human vison are more sensitive to green (or something like that LOL ;p not too exactly sure)

Thanks Viix for your detailed descriptions!! Guess I know what u mean ... :p

However, I actually own a Nikon CP775 but thinking of getting an upgrade. Am still decising on whether to get Nikon CP5400 or 5700. The point is not really the price ... but that 5700 is an old model and that ... I believe new things should come with better features ..... but I am not sure ....

please advise ...

Originally posted by cwongsm
Thanks Viix for your detailed descriptions!! Guess I know what u mean ... :p

However, I actually own a Nikon CP775 but thinking of getting an upgrade. Am still decising on whether to get Nikon CP5400 or 5700. The point is not really the price ... but that 5700 is an old model and that ... I believe new things should come with better features ..... but I am not sure ....

please advise ...

My opinion is to Wait!!

lol.. Im using a 6900er and still it has provided for my many needs.. I feel it's not worth to upgrade to another prosumer level camera (for me, it WAS a dimage 7hi that I'm keen to get)
I am using my 6900er and experimenting with it till death.. and I can't find a fault with it. Yes, it doesn't have Noise reduction, terrible unusable ISO 400 setting and a limited 3sec max shutter but still it has served me well..

Again it boils down to needs. For me, I need a DSLR or a digital back. Mainly it's for work hence I would rather get that than a prosumer cam..

Seriously, I would rather save the money and wait..
wait till technology makes cameras cheaper and better..

meanwhile, I'll wait for digital SLR formats to stabalise..

Status
Not open for further replies.