What is AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED lens for?

Fudgecakes

Oct 1, 2011
Planet Earth
I all. The lens I'm looking at is the AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED
And I would like to ask all your kor kor and Jie jies out there about it. What is it for? Can it be usedfor general photography?

What makes you consider this lens in the first place?

Fudgecakes said:
I all. The lens I'm looking at is the AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED
And I would like to ask all your kor kor and Jie jies out there about it. What is it for? Can it be usedfor general photography?

Every lens can be used for general photography actually. Like the name says, it's a macro lens, what do you mean by what is it for?

I used it for product photography, and at many times used it like a normal lens when I think 60mm is sufficient for me. Meaning it can be used for anything else you want to use it for.

A bit too short for insect macro to be honest, but not impossible depending on what variety of insects. Eg. Large butterflies that do not scare away easily. For smaller and tiny insects - you're better off with longer focal length macro lenses like 105mm VR, etc.

This lens has unique qualities, it has one of the shortest Minimum Focusing Distance to date - meaning you don't have to pull back further to focus on almost any subject. However, you do need to be aware of its other unusual quality as well and that is the "onion peel" bokeh... This doesn't happen all the time, but mostly when there is a strong highlights behind your subject.

If you just want to use it strictly for general photography there are better and cheaper alternatives out there, like maybe the AF-S 50/1.8G or Sigma 50/1.4. This lens is a way too costly for general usage, unless you have other purposes for it like reproduction or product photography.

Last edited:
Q: What is AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED lens for?

A: It is used to take pictures with when attached to a camera body.

Jokes aside...
What did you think the "micro" in the name means? And any lens can be used for general photography. Since general photography can mean any kind of photography.

For cooking -- by holding up the lens you can focus the sun's rays onto dry leaves, and hence start a fire for cooking. But does not work well on rainy days lah.

@everyone. Thanks.
@daredevil like at crowded cc events lor. Got a part time job for a cc mah so I'm trying to choose a fast lens
@bigpond yeah and im sure u cook Maggie noodles in the body too ryte? :D

Q: What is AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED lens for?

A: It is used to take pictures with when attached to a camera body.

Jokes aside...
What did you think the "micro" in the name means? And any lens can be used for general photography. Since general photography can mean any kind of photography.

It also makes a very expensive magnifying glass.

@everyone. Thanks.
@daredevil like at crowded cc events lor. Got a part time job for a cc mah so I'm trying to choose a fast lens
@bigpond yeah and im sure u cook Maggie noodles in the body too ryte? :D

Probably you would be better off with a wide-to-short tele zoom, like maybe Nikkor 17-55/2.8 or Tamron 17-50/2.8 (if you are on a crop body).
Maybe can also consider something like 35/1.8DX. It's light and small and faster than f/2.8 lens. But perhaps fixed focal length might be awkward for you.

Indeed. Not used to SFL lenses haha. But I still have sone qns? May I pm u?

not for portrait photo coz i'll make your model look weird

Similar Question: What is AF-S Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G DX lens for?

Similar Answer: Please see the similar reply above.

(in case someone will create this similar thread) :sweat:

Last edited:
Fudgecakes said:

Err....de part time job u have at de cc, is it as their photographer? If yes, wish u lots of luck. And for events capturing single 60mm lens not advisable. U will need to be able to shoot wide to capture de crowd at de event. Try to get a 17-50 f2.8. Should be ideal for u.