What is adware? What is the best defence against them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Because my system has slow so much in the past few days. I did a thorough scan and found more than 30 adwares in my pc.

I had only managed to delete about 20 of them....any way or suggestion in getting rid of them once and for all? :think:

I am using NIS. What is the best available defense against these adwares?

don't install any peer to peer software, avoid usage of programs downloaded from the net, etc.

don't install any peer to peer software, avoid usage of programs downloaded from the net, etc.

:) Thanks Mpenza....I had avoided using all peer to peer softwares like kazaa. I dun even dare to go near errrr.....u know XXX sites :bsmilie: :embrass:

But I still get them......beats the hell out of me this time :dunno:

dun go online is the best prevention ;p think even better you dun link your system to any network.

some adware also passed thru emails etc, unknowingly...

dun go to nonsense websites..
watch what you click..
install free antispyware like spybot S&D, remember to immunize
Install stuff that you need only

Lastly.. keep the kids away from your PC, if not.. all efforts will be gone! ;)

Have a router to filter out unknown probes, don't visit XXX sites, if really need to visit, do it in office. Heehee.

Anyway use AdAware to remove them, I know how pesky these stupid s/w can get, :angry:

When in doubt, click Cancel!!!

Use a mac? ;)

I have a router with a firewall to filterout trash anywae... Netgear had a model with NAT and SPI, anywaes now routers/firewalls are so cheap.

walau espn, what a thing to suggest.. do in the office.. then IT administrator have to spend time trying clear up all these spyware..

Benign.. i tell you go surf espn's PC when you have the "urge"

espn said:
Have a router to filter out unknown probes, don't visit XXX sites, if really need to visit, do it in office. Heehee.

Anyway use AdAware to remove them, I know how pesky these stupid s/w can get, :angry:

I swear on all the cameras and lenses I have got......I did not go near XXX sites since I formatted my pc with the intentions of getting rid of adwares. the only emails I have got are those from Ebay...nothing more. Is it a sin to bid liao?

:dunno:

use firefox + microsoft antispy

adware remover & spybot to remove *SAFE mode*

so far still okie for me ..

Downloading this software called spywareblaster 3.4 from download.com now.

Hope it works on the problem.....I am really pissed with routinely scanning updating...learning new hardwares softwares.

Let alone 24 hours per day in my life already seemed short ;( :angry:

best combination : anti-adware (Lavasoft Ad-ware)+ Anti-virus (AVG) + firewall (zone free). All FOC

adware and spybot from download.com

u cna only clear all or most of them when your com. in SAFE mode ..
so after install .. reboot and press F8. start in safe mode. And execute the 2 programs.

If ur using xp .. then go microsoft.com to dl and install. microsoft antispy.

rgds

You can try spy sweeper too. Used it on a friend's system. It detected about 5 spywares that adaware missed. Remember to update spyware sweeper (under options) before using scanning.

As a last resort use hijackthis and remove the spyware files manually.

Thanks everyone....pc back to near normal. Was using spybot to eradicate all the adwares. ;p Surf faster......

But the feeling is like a house is being burglar, not 100% feeling safe :(

Avoid micro$oft software as far as possible. Don't use IE, use an alternate browser, use spybot S&D, use a firewall. My PC has never been infected with viruses, spyware, adware, and any of that cr@p.

cereal said:
last resort.. backup and format.. best! then dun be noti anymore
If I want to be naughty and still be safe, what should I do????

Hong Sien

Status
Not open for further replies.