What is advantages of wide angle lens?

wide angle lenses have different purposes from normal or telephoto lens.

so there is no "advantage" per se.

Just to share, usage of wide angle includes taking of group shots in confined location and the use the barrel distortion to your advantage. Hope it's useful for you. :)

Example

Shot taken with a 17mm (WA Lens):
35867_406582098555_576318555_4243792_5876843_n.jpg

some wide-angle lenses have aberrations and distortions near the edges of their images :l some....

Just to share, usage of wide angle includes taking of group shots in confined location and the use the barrel distortion to your advantage. Hope it's useful for you. :)

Example

Shot taken with a 17mm (WA Lens):
35867_406582098555_576318555_4243792_5876843_n.jpg

thanks for the sample photo...i was thinking of getting some lens which enable me to take the focus bigger and the others smaller....is that fisheye? fisheye photo seems abit weird to me...

thanks for the sample photo...i was thinking of getting some lens which enable me to take the focus bigger and the others smaller....is that fisheye? fisheye photo seems abit weird to me...

It's not a fish eye lens, normally for those lens you would get more barrel distortion which may or may not what you required.

Not sure what you mean by "take the focus bigger and the others smaller", below is a shot from my "Alternative Portraiture" album taken by the same lens in 17mm to create a "tweety bird" effect.

35867_406565183555_576318555_4243106_4576290_n.jpg

I don't think we know. Nobody seems to use it.
hehehehe

I hope TS wasn't expecting a 100page thesis on advantages of wide angle lenses... ie. more info than what a simple search on Google, or even through clubsnap, would have dug up...

Wide Angle Les
Advantage? Wider field of view.
Disadvantage? Can't see girl sun-bathing topless 50m in front of you clearly.

Long Telephoto Zoom Lens
Advantage? Of course might be able to see the pores on the girl bathing topless in the other block's balcony.
Disadvantage? Can't take picture of a wide-bottomed standing in front of you.

Some typical answers given by CS members... I hope TS can bear with it..

Wide Angle Les
Advantage? Wider field of view.
Disadvantage? Can't see girl sun-bathing topless 50m in front of you clearly.

Long Telephoto Zoom Lens
Advantage? Of course might be able to see the pores on the girl bathing topless in the other block's balcony.
Disadvantage? Can't take picture of a wide-bottomed standing in front of you.

Don't forget another long telephoto disadvantage: might not see wife coming at you from the side, wondering what you're taking pictures of...