What is a suitable cam for a Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Photosnapper

Hi everyone,

I'm really really new to photography and i currently have a casio exilim, but it doesn't allow me manual control. Anyone has a suitable camera to recommend to me? One that is good for a beginner. I've come across a decently priced one from Minolta, the DiMAGE Z1. comments anyone? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Photosnapper

Photosnapper said:
Hi everyone,

I'm really really new to photography and i currently have a casio exilim, but it doesn't allow me manual control. Anyone has a suitable camera to recommend to me? One that is good for a beginner. I've come across a decently priced one from Minolta, the DiMAGE Z1. comments anyone? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Photosnapper

Try saving up for a DSLR e.g. Canon 300D instead
Better value and investment

I've read reviews on the Canon EOS 300D. Apparently, all reviews claimed it is missing some metering thing and also switches automatically between the "seven points" and "center metering". Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on these terms??

Thanks!

Depends on your budget:

Canon A80 is good for starting out and making your way to the Canon SLR/DSLR world as the controls are very similar.

One up will be the Canon G series (got quite a good number of 2nd hand deals here)

Alternatively if you have the cash go for 2nd hand D30 or D60 but you will have to be prepared to invest in a lens as well.

http://www.dpreview.com has got good balanced reviews you can go there to find out more about 300D.

Photosnapper said:
I've read reviews on the Canon EOS 300D. Apparently, all reviews claimed it is missing some metering thing and also switches automatically between the "seven points" and "center metering". Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on these terms??

Thanks!

Metering - u r not allowed to change the kind of meter e.g. spot/center metering

As for the 7 point u mean the focusing point? I am not sure, but should be able to change

Hi everyone, thanks for all the invaluable inputs. I don't think i have the spare cash to be upgrading cameras from a G series to a DSLR even after i have picked up the knowledge to fully utilise the features of the DSLR. Plus, its an expansive hobby to be upgrading cameras, i think i'll take the plunge once and for all, plan slightly ahead for the future, get the canon 300D straight and work towards being able to utilise it fully.

Does anyone know of anyplace where i can get a good deal for the canon 300D?

If you have enough dough to for a DSLR, GO for IT. The is simply no substitution for its feel and controls. But then again.... after you get a 300D, I think you'll be tempted by the 10D. Argh, is a cycle that no one can run away from

Consider the EOS3000v, it comes with a 75-300 kit lens I believe. Good enough for manual + learning.

espn said:
Consider the EOS3000v, it comes with a 75-300 kit lens I believe. Good enough for manual + learning.

Nah, it comes with a 28-90mm kit lens.

Say, whats the main difference between 3000v and 300v? I haven had the time to read through the functions...

Thanks for pointing it out :) I was just trying to get the lens from memory from the stickers on the buses.

Say, where is the best place to cut a good deal on Canon DSLR??

Photosnapper said:
Say, where is the best place to cut a good deal on Canon DSLR??

you can try either Cathay Photo, Alan Photo OR MS Colour

do email CP or MS for equotes. As for Alan Photo - I am not sure if they do equotes.

just bought a Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 together with a 50mm f1.9 lens for S$79. Fully manual camera, uses two LR44's to power meter. No AF, no auto modes, no power film advance, just centre weighted metering. Having tons of fun.... :bsmilie:

it's not cheap to venture into a DSLR. I think for a start, just use the kit lens until you really know what you want before buying another lens. as for accessories, you'll probably want to get a high capacity CF card to start off with and at least 1 spare battery for backup (look for Eastgear for the battery).

Actually, it depends on what you need and how much dough you have. :D

Advising him to jump onto the dSLR bandwagon might not be a good thing. Well for starters, you might get tempted by all the beautiful lenses that the companies have to offer. Secondly, if you use if for PnS, it's like a under-utilized equipment right? :dunno:

But then again, if you're dead sure you wanna do the creative part of photography and be the master of the camera, and the pictures, get a dSLR. What i'm trying to say is that digicams have limitations. dSLRs have lesser limitations. Well, the models that is. :D

So may the force be with you..

Oh ya, last point, stick with your kit lens for awhile. Does it's job, nontheless. :D

Bro, what your budget like, its best to work with what ever budget you have on hand. No point jumping into something, only to regret that its not what you want.

Market value for these cameras
-300D is $1800 (with Lens), $1650 (W/o lens)
-Nikon CoolPics 5700 $1600
-Canon G5 $1500

For your level, you might want to try out the Canon G5 or Nikon 5700 series, since you have been using the compact Digital Camera. Not really worth while for you to jump into a DSLR, as even with the 300D package. its still not cheap. As the body came with a wide angle lens, what can you do much with wide angle lens. you cant zoom. Bro. not worth it.

Photosnapper said:

Thanks!

The Ability to focus on certian spot. It pick up lights where it is the brightest and take that as a reference. In a 10D, you can choose the focus point manually.

Photosnapper said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Photosnapper

If you are new to photography, to ask this before buying new gear:
1) how often I shoot? (every weekend, only during travel, for family gathering)
2) what's the budget to venture into it?
3) size and weight of gear (big and heavy vs some like compact and light)

Suggest buying 2nd hand digital camera to try out.... there is really no substitute for actually using the digicam over a few days/weeks, in spite of what you read in the reviews and what you hear as sales talk in the camera shops. If you don't like the cam, sell it and get another model, with 2nd hand digicam there is less price depreciation and in some cases you might even break even. Minolta Z1 is a new digicam, why not try a slightly older digicam like Canon A70 which u can get 2nd hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.