What is a Senior Member in CS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emlee

Mar 10, 2008
Ang Mo Kio
(Hope I don't get slammed for this thread. CS members posting discussion here should exercise caution and maturity.)

My question: what does it take to be a senior member in CS; or what is a senior member? I used to think senior member means members with certain level of photography skills or maturity in discerning good and bad photographs. But of late, I have seen senior members complimenting seemingly bad pictures. e.g. pictures with bad keystone distortion that does not add to the composition, and without any other merits; pictures with horrible white balance, CA and no other compositional merits; pictures with over saturation, bad/ blown highlights, over the edge contrasts and haloing. the list goes on.

Then I realised that perhaps members are senior because they contribute a lot to the forums. By contribute I mean number of posts. Then again, whether these posts contributed to the forum is another matter altogether.

The reason I post this question: I have learned a lot from CS. Back in 2008, CS members seems to be of a different breed, senior or not. I benefited from their truthful (though sometimes harsh and insensitive) comments. It helped me learned what is right/ better (some may argue there is no right or wrong in photography. Granted. But some mistakes, be it technical or compositional, are so obvious, it has to be wrong). Some are subjective, but I took them in nonetheless.

Today in CS, I see many budding photographers (probably due to proliferation of DSLR). I have seen posts that in the past would get slammed (some members more harsh than others), but today, they get a pat on their backs and even the thumbs up. How are they going to learn if they are always encouraged to produce bad pictures? What makes it worse, these comments come from senior members. The TS would think: senior member, must be correct, I should be happy that I am a genuis, just started already got compliments. (pun intended).

So I ask the question: what is a senior member? Someone who made 4,000 posts; or someone with discerning taste. (Note I said discerning taste, not necessarily a good photographer. A good critique need not be a good photographer. A good photographer may not be a good critique.)

It is just the culture here; that is a fact of life. Anyways, everyone has their own personal tastes and standards - after a while you get numb to these things. Some of the more prominent positive feedback members have moved on (e.g. eikin); more still have faded into the background. If people cannot take harsh comments, they will be unhappy, they will group together and kb about the person in question. That's still fine, sometimes they will make personal attacks and because said member is seen as a firebrand and a source of discontentment here, this often goes unchallenged. So that's how it is - the culture brews even darker, people take this as a sign of affirmation that they are allowed (or even encouraged) to do so, and the cycle continues. 10 years down the road, I suppose all that will be left are gasps of admiration at every photo, and the P&P section will be roaring with thumbsups and nosebleeds. Why not - if that is what is pushed? People have better things to do than to put in effort to share their thoughts and end up getting crucified for being more forthcoming with those thoughts.

This is life, like I said.

Personally, I take every comment with a pinch of salt. As you say, the criteria to become a senior member is simply sitting around for a few years and making many posts. You do realise that if the number of posts requirement is met by welcoming newbies and thumbs-up, or positive feedback, good critique and insightful discussion on aspects of photography; both get the Senior Member title.

Last edited:
the status of Senior Member here, is only being a member of more than three years, and acclimated for more than 3000 post counts, noting related to photography skills.

New member tiering and differentiation between usergroups.

Well, though, if you think about it - if someone hangs around for a certain amount of time, and makes a certain number of posts in a photography-related forums, you should be quite vindicated in having certain expectations of him when it comes to photography... ;p

(Hope I don't get slammed for this thread. CS members posting discussion here should exercise caution and maturity.)

My question: what does it take to be a senior member in CS; or what is a senior member? I used to think senior member means members with certain level of photography skills or maturity in discerning good and bad photographs. But of late, I have seen senior members complimenting seemingly bad pictures. e.g. pictures with bad keystone distortion that does not add to the composition, and without any other merits; pictures with horrible white balance, CA and no other compositional merits; pictures with over saturation, bad/ blown highlights, over the edge contrasts and haloing. the list goes on.

Then I realised that perhaps members are senior because they contribute a lot to the forums. By contribute I mean number of posts. Then again, whether these posts contributed to the forum is another matter altogether.

The reason I post this question: I have learned a lot from CS. Back in 2008, CS members seems to be of a different breed, senior or not. I benefited from their truthful (though sometimes harsh and insensitive) comments. It helped me learned what is right/ better (some may argue there is no right or wrong in photography. Granted. But some mistakes, be it technical or compositional, are so obvious, it has to be wrong). Some are subjective, but I took them in nonetheless.

Today in CS, I see many budding photographers (probably due to proliferation of DSLR). I have seen posts that in the past would get slammed (some members more harsh than others), but today, they get a pat on their backs and even the thumbs up. How are they going to learn if they are always encouraged to produce bad pictures? What makes it worse, these comments come from senior members. The TS would think: senior member, must be correct, I should be happy that I am a genuis, just started already got compliments. (pun intended).

So I ask the question: what is a senior member? Someone who made 4,000 posts; or someone with discerning taste. (Note I said discerning taste, not necessarily a good photographer. A good critique need not be a good photographer. A good photographer may not be a good critique.)

We all joined CS on a volunteer basis. If you don't have any expectations on fellow members, then there will be no disappointment. So don't expect.....

Come on, it's just a status on a forum. Why take it so seriously?

Given a choice, I'd rather be senior manager in real life than senior member on a photography forum.

What does it give you as being senior member? Do you gain any form of achievements in life? I believe not.

It's simple: you post people comment on your posts. You don't post, you are forgotten. It's not something like you won nobel prize and be remembered in history. So take it easy.

Well, though, if you think about it - if someone hangs around for a certain amount of time, and makes a certain number of posts in a photography-related forums, you should be quite vindicated in having certain expectations of him when it comes to photography... ;p
like what edutilos- already said, if a person only interested in XMM photos and always give nosebleed comments plus two thumbsup, what kind of expectation you can get from him even he already reach senior citizen status?

Hi edutilos (pka N86M :)). Thanks for your comments. What is kb?

the status of Senior Member here, is only being a member of more than three years, and acclimated for more than 3000 post counts, noting related to photography skills.

New member tiering and differentiation between usergroups.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not realise it was so transparent.

We all joined CS on a volunteer basis. If you don't have any expectations on fellow members, then there will be no disappointment. So don't expect.....

Indeed. Though it begs the question: why did we volunteer? Is it not because we are passionate about photography? Hence the desire to see it blossom? For me, I had enjoyed the interaction I've had with forum members. You are certainly 1 of them I have the joy of interacting. Thank you.

Come on, it's just a status on a forum. Why take it so seriously?

Given a choice, I'd rather be senior manager in real life than senior member on a photography forum.

What does it give you as being senior member? Do you gain any form of achievements in life? I believe not.

It's simple: you post people comment on your posts. You don't post, you are forgotten. It's not something like you won nobel prize and be remembered in history. So take it easy.

Hi SnagIt, on the contrary, it is meaningless to be a senior manager/ director/ VP of a company where you spend time in it only to support your livelihood. It is more satisfying pursuing one's interest, if one can afford, even without monetary rewards.
My question has little to do with the members' status, if you had understood it. And I certainly do not vie for a senior status.

Hi edutilos . Thanks for your comments. What is kb?

Kao Beh.

Indeed. Though it begs the question: why did we volunteer? Is it not because we are passionate about photography? Hence the desire to see it blossom? For me, I had enjoyed the interaction I've had with forum members. You are certainly 1 of them I have the joy of interacting. Thank you.

Suggest you look into these threads for some revelations. :bsmilie:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832577
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841112

TS, dont read too much on titles here .... you can have mine if Mod can transfer it to you. :bsmilie:

Some volunteer themselves because they want to brand themselves as teacher or prolific photographer.

Yes, it do sound funny, but it is happening here and this culture is blooming fast. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
TS, Life is like that.

And don't read into it. Most of us don't care about any titles. Many, myself included, will be happy to give/transfer it away. Many of us are really here to share and help. You may hear some delusional conspiracy theories around here about some claim that some are looking for power, fame and fortune by holding group newbie sessions... Huh? What power, fame and fortune can you get in CS? And most people share on a volunteer basis.

Just want to leave a couple of thoughts:

Stop looking at the sawdust in others' eyes, when there is a plank in your own eye.
And, you reap what you sow.

Last edited:
edutilos- said:

All thanks to people like you who made cowardly personal attack on people who are genuine in helping others. Some of these people "left" CS because of your action. People made mistakes. We have moved on and prefer not to escalate it. Why do you keep visiting this issue unprovoked?

Some volunteer themselves because they want to brand themselves as teacher or prolific photographer.

Yes, it do sound funny, but it is happening here and this culture is blooming fast. :bsmilie:

You can also gained Senior Status by telling enough jokes so that some people die laughing. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

All thanks to people like you who made cowardly personal attack on people who are genuine in helping others. Some of these people "left" CS because of your action. People made mistakes. We have moved on and prefer not to escalate it. Why do you keep visiting this issue unprovoked?

What issue? got links anot? Think many ppls here are curious souls. bsmilie::bsmilie:

I do have links of ppls not happy and can't get what they want, then start insulting ppls father. :)
(Yes, that is the current culture in CS.)

Last edited:
like what edutilos- already said, if a person only interested in XMM photos and always give nosebleed comments plus two thumbsup, what kind of expectation you can get from him even he already reach senior citizen status?

We can truthfully expect him to die of excessive loss of blood before reaching the honourable Senior Membership. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

We can truthfully expect him to die of excessive loss of blood before reaching the honourable Senior Membership. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

And spending fortune on tissue paper. :bsmilie:

You can also gained Senior Status by telling enough jokes so that some people die laughing. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Hahaha if that's the way it works then you will gain the title of grand senior member soon:bsmilie: Anyway, senior member or not doesn't matter right? Its just something that comes along after some time. If wanna gain fame or anything might as well try to win more competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.