What is a Reliable Portable Storage Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokiemon

Mar 5, 2005
Hi,

is anyone using a portable storage drive?

What this device does is to help transfer your pictures from your CF card into the storage drive via its built-in card reader. This means you do not need a PC to transfer files or worry about running out of memory in your CF card.

1) what are the different brands out there besides iPod Photo?
2) Where can you get them and how much?
3) also are you able to view the pictures on the LCD?

thanks...

pokiemon said:
Hi,

What this device does is to help transfer your pictures from your CF card into the storage drive via its built-in card reader. This means you do not need a PC to transfer files or worry about running out of memory in your CF card.

thanks...

eastgear compact drive PD70X
get from eastgear peninsula plaza
not able to view photos

interesting fact: PD70X was designed by a singaporean and manufactured in china. just found out today when i purchased a piece. also saw them testing out the claimed 50gig transfer on 1 set of batteries. they had transfered 33 gigs worth already and the battery was still going strong.

hey smurf, thanks for the info.

may i know how much u paid for it? also is it a fixed hard drive or removable 2.5" notebook drive?

pokiemon said:
hey smurf, thanks for the info.

may i know how much u paid for it? also is it a fixed hard drive or removable 2.5" notebook drive?

i paid 249 for just the case no hdd. just found out that storage studio sells it for 220 at simlim.

it acts as an external harddisk as well

pokiemon said:
Hi,

thanks...

I just brought a Samsung 20GB portable storage device from Havey Norman.
It cost S$599 include GST.

Features:
1) 1.8" Color TFT LCD
2) MP3 & WMA Support
3) USB2.0 Host Function Support with Max data transfer speed of 120Mbps
4) SRS Wow Surround Sound
5) FM Reception
6) Image File Viewer with Multimedia Studio
7) Upgradable Built-in programs when available
8) Bulit-in Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
(Provides up to 10 hours of play-time depend on usage pattern)
9) weight about 150g

So far I find it portable & reliable..... Hope it helps you...:cool:
Have fun hunting for more portable device.

hey mike.

thanks for post. i was thinking of the epson P2000

1) Fixed hard drive 40GB
2) Picture viewer on 3.8"
3) Supports Movie (Mpeg) and Music (MP3 and ACC) playback. TV output. Speaker. 4) RAW data but Jpeg up to 9mb only
5) 345g
6) Li ion battery 3hrs
7) USB 2.0

not sure if this is selling in singapore though. read the review saying that battery life is short. will definitely check out samsung.

unitedsmurfs said:
i paid 249 for just the case no hdd. just found out that storage studio sells it for 220 at simlim.

it acts as an external harddisk as well

whoa! Where is storage studio? Which floor? Still got stock?

pokiemon said:
hey mike.

1) Fixed hard drive 40GB
3) Supports Movie (Mpeg) and Music (MP3 and ACC) playback. TV output. Speaker. 4) RAW data but Jpeg up to 9mb only
5) 345g
6) Li ion battery 3hrs
7) USB 2.0

not sure if this is selling in singapore though. read the review saying that battery life is short. will definitely check out samsung.

I saw this at several places. RRP S$900++. Most places selling S$888

The list price of the Epson P2000 is like S$899, so its one of the "higher range" ones, but the screen is fantastic....

pokiemon said:
hey mike.

1) Fixed hard drive 40GB
5) 345g
6) Li ion battery 3hrs
7) USB 2.0

now i am torn between a PD70x and Epson P2000. wondering if i need the picture viewer. not sure if from PD70X u can do file management e.g. delete?

Touched the PD70X at a recent show but no chance to try it out..BUT i had just one complete fiddling exp with the Epson P-2000 at an adjunct event then (transferred files, view, delete and fiddled with almost everything in the menus, say the whole ordeal just under 30 min)...straight off i simply love the screen.

the high resolution output is incredible..see to believe. the screen itself is rather scratch-resistant (well least to whatever my nails) and the whole unit feels firm and solidly constructed.

Only 2 qualms caught me there then.. perhaps of the high qual output, image reviews to and fro feels a tat sluggish after ard 2-3 min. the first ringing in my head is imagine if i am a life-long owner...second all even if i can spare the sub-1K price tag, no immed stocks (well again, thats back then).

but if say it is to befall into my laps this instance by whatever reason, i will welcome with open arm, cos i think it represents one of THE best pioneering efforts for a very decent, pro-standard storage/viewing medium in the market for quite a while.

note, imho

update: i now realised a possible suspect for the percieved sluggishness..it was reading off the card direct!..meaning images not copied into the int hdd. forgot to add also, thru-out the half hour of continuous fiddling, notice no dip in battery despite it being a display unit (likely for a while before i came along).

MikeElliot said:
I just brought a Samsung 20GB portable storage device from Havey Norman.
It cost S$599 include GST.

Features:
1) 1.8" Color TFT LCD
2) MP3 & WMA Support
3) USB2.0 Host Function Support with Max data transfer speed of 120Mbps
4) SRS Wow Surround Sound
5) FM Reception
6) Image File Viewer with Multimedia Studio
7) Upgradable Built-in programs when available
8) Bulit-in Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
(Provides up to 10 hours of play-time depend on usage pattern)
9) weight about 150g

So far I find it portable & reliable..... Hope it helps you...:cool:
Have fun hunting for more portable device.

This is more an MP3 player...

One wif slots for CF card & SD card would be more suitable isn't it?

QCool retails for $90 and PD70x retails for $225 (price excludes external harddisk).

Both do not come with picture viewer.

Anyone knows why u r paying so much more for a PD70x?

Hey friend Pokiemon, kind share with everyone here where you can get QCool for $90? is that with or without gst?...all along i only found 99 w/gst direct from its local agent at sim lim square and the price is fixed no matter what (fact think it WAS indeed $138 just 1-2mths back). i've been hard hunting for the best deal for fellows in a current MO, did you happen upon another dealer whose willing for a discount. if you post this up, must be pretty confident, share la! :thumbsup:

hi itisnottheendorg,

think $90 is without gst and pay cash.

is your mo is offering $79?

is it a good worth buying??

thanks bro so much for the insights, your pricing i guess as much, cos i did my rounds...

$79 is fantastic becos it is exactly the same as what you get here, but do read my update this morning. freak weather is now my numero uno enemy..think everyone else too those comtemplating a north asia trip.

Was wondering if anyone has any answers to this... what is the difference between the 2 that you are paying so much more. I am interested in getting a portable storage drive.

pokiemon said:
QCool retails for $90 and PD70x retails for $225 (price excludes external harddisk).

Both do not come with picture viewer.

Anyone knows why u r paying so much more for a PD70x?

Status
Not open for further replies.