What is a Portrait photograph at CS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Someone has commented that the images at the "Portraits and Poses" are all mostly young girls (or they call themselves as "models"), sitting, standing, and smiling at the photographers.
What exactly constitute a portrait photograph at CS? :think:

Il padrino by patch17 is classified as a Portrait image by the mod here ...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357656

but

my shot of a young girl is classified as a Street and Candids
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358244

:dunno:

would really appreciate some guidelines from the mods and comments from the members here.

Maybe cos the first shot has the subject looking at the photographer while in the 2nd picture, the subject is not knowingly posing for the shot, so is more like candid? :think:

hmmm...i think it calls for some verification..

both looks good as portrait to me..can be candids too..:think:

probably something to do with posing and not posing

a candid's definition has the sense of "grabbed shot", i.e. candid in every sense of the word, unposed for, done in spur of the moment, most likely without subject's knowledge

perhaps since il padrino was the photographer's uncle, as claimed in link provided, mod assumed that was posed. :dunno:

IMHO, canonised's shot is a candid portrait, so it should be ok in either the "portraits" or "street and candids" gallery. Given the choice, i would classify it more as portraiture, due to the artistic merit of the photo.

In fact, one of the photos in Nat Geo's "photography field guide", the candid shot of georgia o'keefe seated next to one of her paintings, is described as a "portrait".

perhaps since il padrino was the photographer's uncle, as claimed in link provided, mod assumed that was posed. :dunno:
is there a difference if that girl is my niece?:think:

i am sure a lot of those images with "models" posted in the Portrait section were taken in such a way that they appeared as not being "posed" ..... :think: so based on your impression, they are also not Portrait?

Maybe cos the first shot has the subject looking at the photographer while in the 2nd picture, the subject is not knowingly posing for the shot, so is more like candid? :think:
now you tell me, is this a Portrait photo?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355929

and what critieria justified this image as a Portrait?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357661

even without heads, these are also Portraits?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355975

IMHO, canonised's shot is a candid portrait, so it should be ok in either the "portraits" or "street and candids" gallery. Given the choice, i would classify it more as portraiture, due to the artistic merit of the photo.

In fact, one of the photos in Nat Geo's "photography field guide", the candid shot of georgia o'keefe seated next to one of her paintings, is described as a "portrait".

agree :thumbsup:

classifications aren't always so clear cut.

I think some pictures can be classified as both portrait as well as candid. It is just like if you take a pic of a sportsman, you can classify the shot as both portrait or sports photography. If you shoot a flower, you may classify it as macro, still life, nature.... I think it is subjective how people choose to see the picture...

Someone has commented that the images at the "Portraits and Poses" are all mostly young girls (or they call themselves as "models"), sitting, standing, and smiling at the photographers.

I think you've answered it in the first sentence. :bsmilie:

Il padrino by patch17 is classified as a Portrait image by the mod here ...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357656

but

my shot of a young girl is classified as a Street and Candids
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358244

:dunno:

would really appreciate some guidelines from the mods and comments from the members here.

reading this again, actually i would tend to disagree with the comparison you made here.

in patch17's shot, it's clearly the photographer's portrayal of someone he knows. he chose to photograph him that way most probably also due to his personal knowledge of his subject, even though it may be a candid situation.

in your own example, it's more of a shot of a stranger, at some kind of a performance. you did mention it yourself later on when you wrote ''another one, but with more natural grains .... another girl'' which tells viewers that you do not have a direct relationship with nor a clear knowledge of your subjects, making it more a candid than a portrait. so it's not wrong that your picture got moved.

in any case, classifications aren't always so clear cut as mentioned several times, so there's no need to get worried or upset about it. i'm sure you didn't receive any warning nor infractions from the mod who moved your thread.

in your own example, it's more of a shot of a stranger, at some kind of a performance. you did mention it yourself later on when you wrote ''another one, but with more natural grains .... another girl'' which tells viewers that you do not have a direct relationship with nor a clear knowledge of your subjects, making it more a candid than a portrait. so it's not wrong that your picture got moved.

Please don't get it wrong that i am concerned with where my image will go to in this forum, as I always remember that I am only a guest in this house and I must always observe the rules and behave myself. But there is a right and wrong way to do a thing, and if one feels that you have done a wrong move, one should at least know the reason why, so that everyone can at least understand the reason.

However, I do find your comment to be very naive and ingenuous - what has shooting a relative and someone whom I do not have any direct relationship with or a total stranger got to do with the classification of an image? :think:

So what if I did not mention anything about the image about the relationship between the subjects and me, or anything about the event, will the image be classified based on one's judgement, .... whose judgement then? the photographer, the mods, the members?
Plse give me a better shot ....:think:

However, I do find your comment to be very naive and ingenuous - what has shooting a relative and someone whom I do not have any direct relationship with or a total stranger got to do with the classification of an image? :think:

So what if I did not mention anything about the image about the relationship between the subjects and me, or anything about the event, will the image be classified based on one's judgement, .... whose judgement then? the photographer, the mods, the members?

Because portraiture is more than sitting and posing for the camera. The portrait artist and the model share a trust, a sort of link and bond. Portraiture is about communication, more than just the surface value. How the model/subject relates to the photographer, and likewise to the camera, will ultimately define how the shot turns out.

Because portraiture is more than sitting and posing for the camera. The portrait artist and the model share a trust, a sort of link and bond. Portraiture is about communication, more than just the surface value. How the model/subject relates to the photographer, and likewise to the camera, will ultimately define how the shot turns out.

is it possible to shoot potraits candidly?..u noe, planned potrait, but candid feel..:bsmilie:

I feel that, it is up to the photographer to choose whether it is portrait or candid, it is up to the viewer to determine if he/she has the same view about the photo.

based on your view, a lot of images in the PP thread should also be moved to SC ....:dunno:

is there a difference if that girl is my niece?:think:

i am sure a lot of those images with "models" posted in the Portrait section were taken in such a way that they appeared as not being "posed" ..... :think: so based on your impression, they are also not Portrait?

now you tell me, is this a Portrait photo?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355929

Mine is a headache ;p

However, I do find your comment to be very naive and ingenuous - what has shooting a relative and someone whom I do not have any direct relationship with or a total stranger got to do with the classification of an image?

ur foto, though lovely, lacks communication between subject n fotographer.

although it is a good capture, it does not gif off the same 'feel' as a portraiture, even though subject matter is a human.

it is a snapshot, a long lens with good bokeh. the added bonus is that it looks good.

i'm able to relate to il padrino as a portraiture simply becos i can see/feel an interaction between the subject n the fotographer even though it might be jus as a snapshot as ur foto might be.

u can call ur foto an abstract, a nightshot or even a nature shot as long as u deemed fit.

but the viewers might not agree with it.

i would say it is 50-50.

but if u want it to be called a portraiture, i will respect ur decision.

but if u want it to be called a portraiture, i will respect ur decision.

Thank you.

I was just puzzle and curious about the decision to move my images (at least it is a 50-50 case) and those "portraits" with people without heads, etc are classified as portrait images ....:dunno: I just need to know the reason/s for my own understanding and knowledge.

As now i understand your reasoning, let's close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.