What is a Portfolio???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobman

Deregistered
Oct 30, 2003
Jungle
www.monobeauty.com
How can then your 'photos' be called your very own 'portfolio' or 'works' ?

If I go to an organised shoot. All settings done by organiser, styling, makeup, lighting etc.... then participants just come in and take the photo maybe with some posing of the models, can this be counted as one?

For me, portfolio are of your very own work. You do it from start till end, your own idea and own creativity. Your own idea of concept, your own idea of style. And it is unique, no 2 images of 2 different photographers are similiar.

It puzzled me when one says this is my portfolio (no doubt the images are fantastic) but I still see some other photographers having the same photo. How then can be called own portfolios? Isn't it like what we say: "take people backside as your own cheek" ....

A portfolio can be anything the person wants it to be. Crap or good, it all depends on the client who buying the idea/images/concept. I dont think anyone needs a portfolio unless you want to impress or look for jobs from future clients.

If that is the case, then many pro photographers can't highlight many of the shots they take under commission, because there is often a stylist and/or which dictates exactly how the image should look, so the photog then is just a technical accessory.

cyber_m0nkey said:
If that is the case, then many pro photographers can't highlight many of the shots they take under commission, because there is often a stylist and/or which dictates exactly how the image should look, so the photog then is just a technical accessory.
I agree with you. I think a portfolio is more about leaving an impression to your customers/clients. :)

cyber_m0nkey said:

I think this is a different of a job i did for my clients and this is my own works.... tats why sometimes they have category like commercial works, personal works ....

A portfolio is a representation of you I did, be it a "one man band" operation or with an entire crew. No difference.

Let say u and i attended some pro photographers workshop. Then we are able to take a few shots then happily come back and post in clubsnap proudly says: this is my work...... can do?

Like that with these photos, i can have many model wannabes willing to do TFCD for me. can? If so, I will lookout on pro photographers conducting workshops, its a small price to pay for great photos making it my very own. :bsmilie:

Deadpoet said:
A portfolio is a representation of you I did, be it a "one man band" operation or with an entire crew. No difference.

Ya of cos, like what we discussed on Monday, Our Production. What if anyone of the participants photos I took and say, this is my work although I participated in the production.

But if I could say, hey, this is what we did......its different story.

I think that's really up to the person's discretion and integrity. I believe clients are smart enough to sieve the good and experienced photographers and the newbies. No offence to anyone but why do anyone want to impress your future client with a dubious portfolio?

hazmee said:
I think that's really up to the person's discretion and integrity. I believe clients are smart enough to sieve the good and experienced photographers and the newbies. No offence to anyone but why do anyone want to impress your future client with a dubious portfolio?
Unfortunately a lot of "budding" or "amatuerish" photogs would do that just to get themselves in the door ... and then once they are in ... thats when they are thrown into the deep end to swim or sink ...

hazmee said:
I think that's really up to the person's discretion and integrity. I believe clients are smart enough to sieve the good and experienced photographers and the newbies. No offence to anyone but why do you want to impress your future client with a lousy/dubious/unflattering portfolio?

Of cousre not the clients because its a job. If his head isn't big enough, he won't dare to take the job. What I meant is ordinary photographer, who basically wants to impress people especially girls.. :bsmilie:

I came across a model asked me how come 2 photographers showed me their photos and they are the same one only different poses....

Frankly ... I am not really sure about how to interpret what is "your portfolio" ... but here is a reply I got from a workshop organiser in UK when i questioned about some of the credit line issues ....

A Bit of a long read .... Sorry bout that ...

"Regarding your question about copyright:

I will be showing you quality lighting and set ideas that I have created
before during various shoots for both myself and models' portfolios and
publications and you have seen some of these on my website. All you will
be doing is stepping up and going "click" - so do you agree that the
design and creativity of the photos is mine and not yours?

I do allow photographers to put these images in their portfolios and on
their websites - but I do ask that they show clearly that the photos
were created during my tuition sessions. If you don't indicate the
origin of the photos you are deluding yourself and belying your own
audience. Our price for the day reflects this - if you did want to claim
the images as yours then you would have to pay my commercial rate and
also both the models' commercial rates plus model release fees."

Your views on the above ...... are most welcome ....

And I think this is again very much related to the discussion at hand

I believe a portfolio is more like a resume, it shows what you have done and what you are capable of doing. Its supposed to impress people and potentially clients. Who cares if there is an image out there somewhere that looks the same, if it ends up making a client choosing you for a job then its certainly worth it I believe.

Someone may have designed the shoot but they never took the photo which does take some skill, no matter how beautiful a model is or how classy a product is.

If you feel that your portfolio should be a start to finish creation by you then I can totally see why you would want to do it that way. Like you (Bobman) have already said, just split it up into catorgories (personal, commercial etc)

it is a series of pics which I like and put up in my little webby loh. =)

wildstallion said:
I believe a portfolio is more like a resume, it shows what you have done and what you are capable of doing. Its supposed to impress people and potentially clients. Who cares if there is an image out there somewhere that looks the same, if it ends up making a client choosing you for a job then its certainly worth it I believe.

Someone may have designed the shoot but they never took the photo which does take some skill, no matter how beautiful a model is or how classy a product is.

If you feel that your portfolio should be a start to finish creation by you then I can totally see why you would want to do it that way. Like you (Bobman) have already said, just split it up into catorgories (personal, commercial etc)

I think in this case, you are asked to do what the client wants, so cannot consider your work but a job you must do well. This is a work of your job, you are asked to do and you have co-ordinate with the rest of the crew.

Sometime ago, someone said life must sometimes be compromised. Even given a situation which you don't like you must give and take.

Because you want his money unless you say that you are worth the money he offered. You take his job, you work for him as what he says. If not happy, can don't take the job.

Be someone special, he want me to take your photo and have to follow my style, cannot see face one and I charge at least 5000. If you cannot accept my style, nevermind you can look for other cos I eat full full sell pao one......

if there're more than 1 decision maker to produce the work, give credit where it is needed

eikin said:
if there're more than 1 decision maker to produce the work, give credit where it is needed

do you think HS give credit to who produce 'his' work???? This is done by Sion .... :bsmilie:

wildstallion said:
I believe a portfolio is more like a resume, it shows what you have done and what you are capable of doing.

Actually I like this.

To me, my fortfolio represents me, my works.

To me, my portfolio tells the viewer what I am capable of achieving. Whether I create the images with a team or solo is another matter.

But if I attended a shoot where everything was conceived, planned, designed, and all I did was to press the shutter, then I personally would not put that image on my portfolio, because clearly I could not make similar images again. Whether it is for commercial purposes or not is irrelevant.

However, if I organised the shoot, called in a creative/artistic director, a fashion consultant, a hairstylist, a make up artist, a lighting expert, whatever, and make arrangements to have the shoot in the Singapore Parliament, then although the final image is the result of many hands, I would honestly put that image in my portfolio, because I made it happened. It showed that I have the ability to organise a coherent team to achieve that image.

My work.

Status
Not open for further replies.