What is a photo and what is a photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Photographer. The rest aren't.

2046-naughty-photographer.jpg

This is pro at work!:bsmilie:

More comments please, more flames :p. Anyway I have mutton for dinner last night. Thought I bite on something like a tooth bracer :D

A photo is what a phtotographer have in mind & a photographer is what a photo have in mind ;p :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

troll bait, *bite*

This is just a normal thread to ask this question in this pool of shooter here as recently, one of my friend told me that there are alot of non-photographer carrying DSLR walking around shooting. My POV is a photographer who takes photo? It is only how good or bad the photographer is from the shooter and other POV.

So how do you define a photographer?
I am expecting to hear something from goat...:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

don't mean to be rude but....

your friends need to get a life then to be so disturbed by the DSLRs in the market. like it or not it will continue and Canon or Nikon etc likes it. else no more R&D and no more improvement of technology....New DSLR holders cannot shoot until later become pro? Can i ask your friends then who can buy DSLRs?

they shoot theirs...others shoot theirs...if is because they see someone holding bigger gears than them...get over it. this is life..some ppl has more $$$ than others...If they are true pro photographers..then their work shld define them already...not whole day whinning abt so many GWC etcs....can't photography be enjoyed by all at all levels? must it be so egoistic all the time?

don't mean to be rude but....

your friends need to get a life then to be so disturbed by the DSLRs in the market. like it or not it will continue and Canon or Nikon etc likes it. else no more R&D and no more improvement of technology....New DSLR holders cannot shoot until later become pro? Can i ask your friends then who can buy DSLRs?

they shoot theirs...others shoot theirs...if is because they see someone holding bigger gears than them...get over it. this is life..some ppl has more $$$ than others...If they are true pro photographers..then their work shld define them already...not whole day whinning abt so many GWC etcs....can't photography be enjoyed by all at all levels? must it be so egoistic all the time?

Your post reminded me about the post asking if people feel inferior is someone with a bigger gun is shooting beside. Anyway why the Canon and Nikon mention while the rest like PENTAX aren't listed as etc?. They are newbie friendly with build in IS on sensor.
Lets see if goat can still bleat :bsmilie:

I din put not becos i think they are inferior.... Do i need to type all the brands down? I hope goat wont get me wrong. I dont have inferior complexity and i dont mind ppl carrying dslr. I just want to do my own things, play with my own toys. Why do we need to justify "am i fit to buy a dslr"? I really dont understand. Most guys are are quite happy playing with their own gears- pro or hobbyist. But a few always like to bring down or complaint abt others buying expensive gears. What for? Is their money. If we cant afford so be it. If we can then go and buy lor. Is just a camera and a piece of optics. Why need to say things like non- photographer holding dslr? I mean i really cant understand. Yeah wow this guy next to me got big lens and i got kit lens.. So what? If he doesnt bug me then is ok right? If he bugs me then i just walk off la. Just shoot and be happy and improve.
I like what catchlights says just do his own stuffs and improve his own trade. If really need to justify then every non award winner cant hold a dslr and we can forget abt cheaper ff or dslr coming into the market.and why need so many camera shops since dslr only for real photographer. There are ppl out there earning so much that a leica m9 or a 1dsmk3 is like loose change to them. If your friends need to worry abt this, i rather think abt how to increase my earning then to eat sour grapes.

And for the record by your friend's definition i shld be a poser because i cant win award,i cant make a living out of it and i got no paid jobs. So what? I am happy to know i can afford my gears with my loose change and no need to eat sour grapes when i see a bigger gear outthere.i am a lousy shooter but i am happy to be able to get the chance tp try and shoot on my free days.life already very stress , dont make it worse here to have to be so egoistic to be a photographer. The pro guys will earn their respect as they respect others and. themselves. Tell your friend i feel so unworthy to own any of the L lenes. Can they buy over fr me? Only if they can afford my price. If they cant then go low ball other ppl's gear or continue to whine why their gears are not as great as they want it to be.

Yo bro chill, this thread is just about collecting different people view about this subject.

i think there is nothing wrong with anyone having a dslr , really.

like i told my brother the other day, even if you can't shoot, as long as you use it, the iq tends to be better than pns, so that's essentially what you are paying for.

of course, i still get my chuckles whenever i walk by food court, got this xmm trying to take photo of her friends with auto mode, and then the pop up flash pops up, then she looks flustered and tries to push it down while taking the photo..... i am only human, not a saint. to pretend that i don't find it funny that people who don't know how to use the dslr buy it would be hypocriscy. but am i going to think any less of the person if i know them? not really.

what should not be condoned? the attitude that one's photographs are the bomb and that they are immune to critique when no photograph is perfect - nor any photographer. the attitude that having a camera gives one the right to take photos anywhere, everywhere, without caring about people's feelings, just because the law says that it is ok. the attitude that shooting xmm and calling it a proper hobby when you have no pride in whatever you are doing... because that is using photography as a pretext to pay money to ask little girls to smile at you because no one else really has... :D

as for being a poser...... who wasn't a poser once before?

i remember feeling very pro and swaggering unconsciously when i shot nonsense like this:

378141368_fa21b9a775.jpg

sooner or later, either they wake up, or they don't. if they don't, then they're not really worth your time, right? :)

Last edited:
Ya agree with goat. Anyway the shoot nonsense stuff is just about the urge to shoot something and waste some shutter, I have that problem too. BTW please read the question again, we are straying further and further away from the main question.

Hi wootsk, hope this helps... unfortunately this one is not from the goat... :)

I cant believe theres actually other people with the same question hahha...

I have same exact question a while back in the beginnning of my photo life, back in photo school (FYI, this question was really bothers me, since Im taking a photo school/class, if being a photographer is only someone who take pics, or just being someone with nice equipment, etc, why should I waste my time and money taking the school/class, right ?).

I asked my professor(s), my classmates (some young people and some older people who was a wedding photographer), classmates from graphic design major (they have eto take some basic photo class as requirement), etc, etc, "what is a photographer ?", and I got a lot of answers, from:
-anyone who take pictures
-anyone with a camera
-anyone with pro equipment
-anyone making money with photography
-etc
-etc

Just to make it short, at the end of the school, I got the answer (not from someone/something, but from everyone and everything, friends, teacher, my observations, my experience while taking the school, my assignments, the practices, the experiments, etc, etc).
I dont know how valid it is for you Guys, but at least I got the answer for myself and satisfied with it.
Here it is:
Photographer is someone who has a vision about the image he wants to make and has the ability (skill/knowledge) to make it happen.

Hopefully that helps you, otherwise, the answer from wikipedia I'm sure valid enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.