What is a good walkabout lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongzn

Sep 8, 2009
Hi, as i am testing out and reading up on bodies i should get to fuel my fresh photography enthusiasm, i also need to know about the first lens i will be getting. Hope you big bros can help me out here. Another lens i'll be getting would be 85/1.8 if im getting full frame or 50/1.4 for cropped. I still cannot decide whether to go ff or not.

If I were to get a full frame such as 5d, what would be a good walkabout lens? As well for cropped canon, what would be one? I need to narrow down my search and trials. Thanks in advance!

With 5D, 25-105 f/4.0 is perfect if you use that range. If you need a bigger aperture, consider 24-70 f/2.8?

For crop- either 17-55mm f2.8 or 15-85 f3.5-5.6

both have really good IQ. Depends if you want constant aperture or longer focal range.

haha both are way beyond my budget for now. are there any non-L lower end alternatives that are good glass as well?

haha both are way beyond my budget for now. are there any non-L lower end alternatives that are good glass as well?

What is your budget? The 15-85 I suggested is just about 1k first hand.

There are so many lenses that Canon and 3rd party manufacturers offer that can fit your bill:

Zoom:
Canon 15-85mm
Canon 17-85mm IS
Canon 17-55mm IS
Canon 17-40mm f/4 L
Canon 18-200mm IS

Just to name some of them... There are many equivalent or rival offerings from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma.

kit lens 18-55, tamron 17-50 non-VC? (note, not too ex)

Hi, as i am testing out and reading up on bodies i should get to fuel my fresh photography enthusiasm, i also need to know about the first lens i will be getting. Hope you big bros can help me out here. Another lens i'll be getting would be 85/1.8 if im getting full frame or 50/1.4 for cropped. I still cannot decide whether to go ff or not.

If I were to get a full frame such as 5d, what would be a good walkabout lens? As well for cropped canon, what would be one? I need to narrow down my search and trials. Thanks in advance!
A bit difficult to answer your question without knowing more about your budget on lenses.

You said you are considering FF body such as 5D and then you said 17-55 is out of your budget. I am a bit confused since a FF body (assuming 5D II) will be around $3,500. So, what did you budgeted for a walk around lens? Certainly, you are not able to us the cheaper EF-S lenses if you go for FF, right?

One thing to note for going FF is that you will really need quality glasses. Otherwise, I would suggest you stick to crop bodies. They are very capable as well. For lenses wise, I would suggest using the kit lenses like 18-55/18-200/15-85

A bit difficult to answer your question without knowing more about your budget on lenses.

You said you are considering FF body such as 5D and then you said 17-55 is out of your budget. I am a bit confused since a FF body (assuming 5D II) will be around $3,500. So, what did you budgeted for a walk around lens? Certainly, you are not able to us the cheaper EF-S lenses if you go for FF, right?

oh haha sorry i didnt make myself clear enough. i aim to buy a 2nd hand 5d mkI. So far i ve seen sales that are around 1.8-2k. So, my budget for this lens would be around 800- 1k max.

definately 18-200.

oh haha sorry i didnt make myself clear enough. i aim to buy a 2nd hand 5d mkI. So far i ve seen sales that are around 1.8-2k. So, my budget for this lens would be around 800- 1k max.

FF with lens budget at 1k max? :think: thats a tough one...

2nd hand 17-40 ? prob around $900+, 3rd party Tamron 28-75 f/2.8?

The stock lens for the 5D MII might be the one you should consider.. Got some ppl who sell the lens 2nd hand after buying it with the kit cos they go for 24-70F2.8. You might consider getting the stock lens 2nd hand too since u're getting ur slr 2nd hand.. just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.