What is a good Potrait lens for Nikon DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karkadann

Nov 5, 2005
Dear Brothers and Sisters of Club Snap,

I am just starting out in photography and have recently bought a second hand Nikon D-70 from a friend. Start out shooting friends and colleagues for potrait shots. It was ok untill one of my friends complain he cannot sharpen my photos in photoshop.A shop assistant in Peninsula Plaza informed me that it was because of my kit lens which is a AFS Nikkor 18-70mm 1: 3.5-4.5G that the sharpness is totally out.

Can anyone please advise me on what is a good potrait lens.... budget is around 700- 1000 SGD. Of course, better if it is cheaper so I can buy more lenses.:bsmilie:

This is usually discussed in extensive detail in the Nikon sub-forum. And I'm very very sure the shopkeeper in Peninsula Plaza was trying to sell you a horribly overpriced lens.

Your kit lens should be sharp enough, if you try shooting at F8 and make sure you're shooting RAW.

Other than that, you can look at the priceguide here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292045

and I recommend a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. Both are very sharp lenses.

I am not sure how your friend define "cannot sharpen", is it because of handshake blur?
Take note of the lighting as well if you are shooting indoor. You'll need a flash unless your hand is steady or you boost your ISO.
And yup, all you need now is the 50mm f1.8 which is cheap, sharp and good to start with.

Dear Brothers and Sisters of Club Snap,

I am just starting out in photography and have recently bought a second hand Nikon D-70 from a friend. Start out shooting friends and colleagues for potrait shots. It was ok untill one of my friends complain he cannot sharpen my photos in photoshop.A shop assistant in Peninsula Plaza informed me that it was because of my kit lens which is a AFS Nikkor 18-70mm 1: 3.5-4.5G that the sharpness is totally out.
Can anyone please advise me on what is a good potrait lens.... budget is around 700- 1000 SGD. Of course, better if it is cheaper so I can buy more lenses.:bsmilie:

Is he telling you the sharpness is totally out or the focus is totally out?
If he is talking about sharpness, you can stop visiting this shop anymore. :confused:

The 18-70 kit lens is a good one for the price. Dun let ppl tell you otherwise.

But if you're interested in more lenses, then consider the others like 17-50 Tamron, 17-55 Nikon, etc... consider your budget well first. And test out the different aperture settings. Note that the 18-70 when used wide open is not as sharp as an expensive f2.8 lens wide open.

tokina 12-24's good..

but my favourite (suprise suprise) is the 50mm 1.8. great for both landscape and potraits. and at 100+ 2nd hand, it's a STEAL.

the 18-70mm is one of the best kit lens around. sharp and fast enough. probably the best value to price ratio out there.
unless you're not getting a sharp copy.

how sharp is sharp? blur becos of camera shake? blur cos used a lower shutter speed and no tripod? blur cos never focus properly? blur cos ur friend did the post processing and not u? which one? can't tell if no pics and exif info given. ;p

the 18-70mm is one of the best kit lens around. sharp and fast enough. probably the best value to price ratio out there.
unless you're not getting a sharp copy.

Yup. Both Nikon and Sony have good kit lenses. I'm guessing it's another story of a Peninsula Plaza shopkeeper trying to cheat a customer...

how sharp is sharp? blur becos of camera shake? blur cos used a lower shutter speed and no tripod? blur cos never focus properly? blur cos ur friend did the post processing and not u? which one? can't tell if no pics and exif info given. ;p

or, to quote another forum... NPNT!!! :bsmilie:

Hmmm.... i was shooting with ISO 200 mostly. but when he tried using photoshop...e pics according to him turned out grainy and cannot be sharpen in photoshop. Grainy when he zoomed in actually. my cam is 6 megapixel.... so it is my cam or my lenses?lolx

A shop assistant in Peninsula Plaza informed me that it was because of my kit lens which is a AFS Nikkor 18-70mm 1: 3.5-4.5G that the sharpness is totally out.

This is complete bull ****, sorry for the language.

If it is due to the lens, then you have a faulty lens.

If it is due to other reasons, then you need to go back to basics - understand light, shutter speed, slowest hand holding speed, how to hold camera to get sharp shots even when using slowish speeds, etc.

Mount the lens on a tripod and shot a stationary subject in a not so bright day. Then shot hand held. That will rule out camera shake. Not so bright day - get it at about 1/125s, 1/60s, 1/30s, 1/15s, 1/8s, 1/4s. Understand if the blurness is due to hand shake / camera shake.

BBB is the wrong answer.

You can say that a good range of portrait lenses for Nikon are 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 85/1.4, 85/1.8, 105/2 DC. The 50's and 85/1.8 are well within the budget you've quoted, the rest above.

But do examine your capability and determine the cause of the blur-ness. If it is user blur (not offence meant) then BBB will not get you closer to sharp photos.

The 18-70 is sharp when used correctly.

Is he telling you the sharpness is totally out or the focus is totally out?
If he is talking about sharpness, you can stop visiting this shop anymore. :confused:

he did not say anything.... he just took one of his lens n took a pic n did e same with mine n did a comparison...e sharpness for mine really lose big time..... pple's one can see e pimple n hair on me face.... mine i have perfect complexion cos not so sharp....lolx

he did not say anything.... he just took one of his lens n took a pic n did e same with mine n did a comparison...e sharpness for mine really lose big time..... pple's one can see e pimple n hair on me face.... mine i have perfect complexion cos not so sharp....lolx

Then I suggest you get your lens cleaned/checked. No need to buy a new one.

or, to quote another forum... NPNT!!! :bsmilie:

wedding_1_by_prototype911.jpg

wedding_2_by_prototype911.jpg

Samples as requested. A cousin's wedding that i was helping out in.
My fren's point is that when he zoom in a couple of times...becomes rather grainy n pixelised. n when trying to use e sharpen feature in photoshop...he cannot sharpen at all.

wedding_1_by_prototype911.jpg

wedding_2_by_prototype911.jpg

Samples as requested. A cousin's wedding that i was helping out in.
My fren's point is that when he zoom in a couple of times...becomes rather grainy n pixelised. n when trying to use e sharpen feature in photoshop...he cannot sharpen at all.

I doubt so, I suspect he doesn't know how to use photshop? LOL. Was the layer lock? It will obviously be grainy when zoomed in. Those photos are quite sharp. :thumbsup:

Kit lens are normally just value for money. For a good investment, try the 50mm F1.4 or 85mm F1.8. You will never have to upgrade :)

I doubt so, I suspect he doesn't know how to use photshop? LOL. Was the layer lock? It will obviously be grainy when zoomed in. Those photos are quite sharp. :thumbsup:

Dunno leh. he keep saying e pics look flat...cannot sharpen in photoshop..... complained that he has to tweak e colours to make it more 3d.....

Was shooting with a brother in e forums... noticed my pics r not as sharp as his ( better cam with higher resolution maybe) his can even see e hairs on e model's hand while mine althou from same angel n lighting.... mine cannot...she seems like she has perfectly smooth hands....lolx.

Status
Not open for further replies.