What is a good photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicans

Sep 16, 2004
Hi all,

Recently I'm learning how to edit a photo. Can someone pls advise me what should I look out for in the photo for editing and what is considered a good photo? These are some of the points that I can think of, brightness, red eye, contrast, sharpness. Thanks :)

There are many general charateristics to a good photo. Saturation, colours, subject, composition, rule of third etc. may be as important. It is better to learn from experience as every photo can be given different treatment and yet it can be pleasing. :)

Yoz,
A good photo, or picture also possesses good framing and composition of a particular subject that will immediately capture the viewer's attention. This is crucial because you need to see what are the pros and cons in a picture - which areas do you want to emphasize on and which areas you do not want your viewers to see.

In another words, it is the overall presentation of your picture, which I noticed sometimes people neglected that area.

However, a true good photo, IMHO is something that can captures a viewer's attention even without editing. In another words, there is only so much you can do with Photoshop if the picture is bad from the beginning. The existence of Photoshop is to make good pictures even better, NOT salvage bad photos, at least it is not applicable to all cases.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

pelicans said:
Hi all,

Recently I'm learning how to edit a photo. Can someone pls advise me what should I look out for in the photo for editing and what is considered a good photo? These are some of the points that I can think of, brightness, red eye, contrast, sharpness. Thanks :)

Hi Pelicans

Well... I suppose what constitutes a good picture are up to you.

As in, the points you have come up with are kinda photographic tools, but the exact definition of a good picture varies..

Personally, I look for the following:

1. Colour & Contrast
2. Composition & Framing
3. Depth of Field
4. Human emotive expressions ( good egs in the street photography forum)

Yep... I have no doubt that these are only the tip of the iceberg and I think the day that someone is able to define what exactly a good photo is would be quite a sad day in photography, no?

Just my 2 cents worth... Cheers

A good photo is one where you think it's good, and probably the one you respond to positively from your pre-programmed artistic preference.

I'm recently looking at some wedding photos from different studio. However, all looks very nice to me. I somehow can't tell what's considered good and what's considered bad takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.