What is a good combo tripod for both digital still camera and a digital video camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlakedaemon

Jul 14, 2004
North East
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here and need to ask for advice from wise and deep master gurus here about tripods. I know there are already quite a few threads regarding tripods on the forum and I have read them all. But none seem to address my particular situation.

I own a Sony DSC717 digital still camera (which i adore very much) and a Panasonic NV-GS200 digital video camera (recently purchased). I was wondering what brand and type of tripod would be good enough for both cameras to be used. My budget is about $100 but anything slightly more is still fine with me.

if u bought the sony videocamera instead, i would have recommended a sony tripod with remote control... as it could be used with both the digital still & video camera. all controls on the handle, capture + focus & zoom

otherwise any tripod would be good.

xlakedaemon said:
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here and need to ask for advice from wise and deep master gurus here about tripods. I know there are already quite a few threads regarding tripods on the forum and I have read them all. But none seem to address my particular situation.

I own a Sony DSC717 digital still camera (which i adore very much) and a Panasonic NV-GS200 digital video camera (recently purchased). I was wondering what brand and type of tripod would be good enough for both cameras to be used. My budget is about $100 but anything slightly more is still fine with me.

Get one with 3 way pan head (e.g. Manfrotto 141 head).

For video use, you'll need 2 of the 3 ways (ie left/right, up/down). for still camera, you'll need the 3rd way (tilt from landscape to portrait) in addition to the first 2.

For me, my head comes with the quick release, hence I brought an extra plate, and have the plates fixed 'permanently' to the digicam and videocam.
(not sure if it is the usual practice, but I find it very convenient)

Yah, after some thought...i think the Manfrotto 141 would be adequate for my use... just got a Manfrotto 719B :D ...now just need the head
Thanks for the offer and the advice guys...really appreciated :D

Really sad :( ...the Manfrotto 719B has a built in aluminium ball head...which means even if i buy a head....it will not be able to fit it...anybody with a similiar experience? How to overcome it other than buying a new tripod? Any other suitable heads to consider? I like this 719B so I would want to keep it :D

xlakedaemon said:
Really sad :( ...the Manfrotto 719B has a built in aluminium ball head...which means even if i buy a head....it will not be able to fit it...anybody with a similiar experience? How to overcome it other than buying a new tripod? Any other suitable heads to consider? I like this 719B so I would want to keep it :D

If you are ok with the existing head, why would you need a new head? Anyway, I don't think the head is removable (don't quote me on this though, as my only experience with the 719B is from playing with a display unit. I didn't actively tried to wrench out the head) :D .

Yah...the head is definitely unremovable...I tried wrenching it out :mad2: ...But I am please with it but I was hoping to add on a head for my digital video camera... ;p

Did you try the existing head with your video cam? How's the operation? If you don't like it, perhaps you might be able to exchange it at the shop you bought it for another model? (pls check that the head is removable this time. :D )

Hmmm... :embrass:

I bought it as a second hand tripod from someone. I did my research (which was apparently lacking :D) and found out that it was a good tripod. Went to some shops but they did not have the stock so the only time I really touched it and felt it was when I met the buyer. I was quite excited and did all the peripheral checks ie dents, missing screws and loose legs...all was in placed...alas...I did not check the head which was there...it did not really strike me at that point in time. So I happily closed the transaction... :bsmilie:

But really, I am very happy with this tripod...just got to think of a way for my digital video camera...unless I get a separate tripod... :think:

Thanks anyway... :D

I need a tripod for a still digiicam. Maybe you want to sell it and get another one that suits your needs? PM me if you're interested.

xlakedaemon, the center post of your 719B is removable, so maybe rather than buy a new tripod, talk to one of the shops (eg. the tripod guys at Cathay in Peninsula), and see if you can get another center post that allows you to change the head. That should be cheaper than buying a new tripod, and perhaps more acceptable to you than using the ballhead on your videocam.

Hey, thanks ericp! :D

I just tried it and it worked! I could take out the head! Now to see if there are other heads available for this tripod. By the way, how did you know about it? You owned a 719B before?

xlakedaemon :D

You're welcome, but I don't own a 719B ... I just went and checked the Manfrotto website out of curiosity. I'm actually using a lighter Slik (340DX, 4 leg sections) ... I bought an el-cheapo small ballhead for the times when I need to travel really light, and bung on the 3-way panhead if I need more stability or want to put my videocam on it.

But the 719B looks really nice, I think you made the right choice there.

Wasn't me who wanted the swap, buddy (unless xlakedaemon's name is Eric as well :D ) ...

Woof !

Status
Not open for further replies.