what is a good beginner's DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
can someone advise me on a good beginner's DSLR? currently using a sony F707 (2nd-hand). i browsed ard and the DSLRs are waaayyy to expensive 1st hand. so, hope to scount ard for a 2nd-hand one, but need some advise. can a pro pls enlighten me? :p

KNIGHT ONG

Dec 18, 2003
PAKISTAN
www.pbase.com
You already got Sony F707, you can save up first and later buy a complete system which may cost you ard $3k ie DSLR, lens, flash etc etc... :D

You can also check the buy/sell forum, there are seller for 300D if you can find one that suit your budget.

Or you can keep shooting until you find the right time to buy it an DSLR .. :lovegrin:

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
VisualJournalist.net
nightwolf75 said:
can someone advise me on a good beginner's DSLR? currently using a sony F707 (2nd-hand). i browsed ard and the DSLRs are waaayyy to expensive 1st hand. so, hope to scount ard for a 2nd-hand one, but need some advise. can a pro pls enlighten me? :p
Pls remember to save another 100% of the cost of your DSLR body for other accessories. i.e.: Lens, Bag, Memory, Flash, etc.

The_Cheat

Jan 19, 2004
Singapore
AReality said:
Pls remember to save another 100% of the cost of your DSLR body for other accessories. i.e.: Lens, Bag, Memory, Flash, etc.
100%? Well, at the end of the day, you might spend even 200 or 300% more than the money you spend on the body. But the good thing is, you can spread the accessories over time. If you don't have enough cash, then you would only have to curse and swear more often when a need of a certain accessory comes out! :D

Spyer2

Mar 20, 2004
Payar Lebar
I recommend u choose canon 300D for a good start. next time if you become pro, then u can upgrade further..
If u are not SLR user before, u may have to spend lot of $$ to invest in DSLR. At least $5K and above :bigeyes:

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
Spyer2 said:
I recommend u choose canon 300D for a good start. next time if you become pro, then u can upgrade further..
If u are not SLR user before, u may have to spend lot of $$ to invest in DSLR. At least $5K and above :bigeyes:
wow! thanks for all the advice! :D

spyer2, i thot of the 300D too. i've used a film SLR b4 switching over to using digicams. roughly know where do all the functions lie. yikess.... but 5k is way over my head. sigh... looks like i've to wait for some kind soul who is upgrading and selling their basic setup, wait for the next computer fair or buy from harvey norman using their hire-purchase.... :(

Dennis

Jan 24, 2002
Singapore
8dennis8.fotki.com
If you are going in to DSLR I suggest you take a look at the line of lens and see what suits you and what you want before deciding on the body.

silver.wolf

Apr 28, 2003
Hougang
www.lawrencengphoto.com
try getting a second hand 300D. saw alot of people selling off, so you be able to get it at a lower price. try picking up skills and experience using one or two lenses first. increase your collection of lenses when u have the spare cash. in time to come when you think only a pro DSLR can further improve your photography skills, by all means upgrade the body.

just watch out for all the hidden costs. e.g. bag, tripod, flash, memory, etc...

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
silver.wolf said:
try getting a second hand 300D. saw alot of people selling off, so you be able to get it at a lower price. try picking up skills and experience using one or two lenses first. increase your collection of lenses when u have the spare cash. in time to come when you think only a pro DSLR can further improve your photography skills, by all means upgrade the body.

just watch out for all the hidden costs. e.g. bag, tripod, flash, memory, etc...
yup, dats one everyone seems to be advising me to. i hope to see someone selling their basic set soon at a manageable price... sigh... :)

KNIGHT ONG said:
keep shooting until you find the right time to buy it an DSLR .. :lovegrin:

I"m waiting for that right time too... :D
actually i got money to upgrade to 300D, but then no more money for lens liao.. that's why I choose to stick to my 602z... save at least a S$3k before i jump into DSLR ship!!! :sweatsm:

juste_millieu

Mar 17, 2004
a lot of people selling 300D for D70. u might want to consider this ;)

Cash

Deregistered
Jan 10, 2004
nightwolf75 said:
how is the dslr gonna change the way u shoot as compared to what u r doing now with the f707? what specifically r u looking for in that dslr?

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
Cash said:
how is the dslr gonna change the way u shoot as compared to what u r doing now with the f707? what specifically r u looking for in that dslr?
mainly for the shutter speed and the ease of changing the settings. my f707 is good for auto shots. but it's a bit leh chey to change settings for things like studio shooting (which i discover to my horror after sun's newbie class with astin), plus the shutter speed is really laggy lor... sigh... my old FM2 (sold dat one) is faster than 707...

Cash

Deregistered
Jan 10, 2004
nightwolf75 said:
mainly for the shutter speed and the ease of changing the settings. my f707 is good for auto shots. but it's a bit leh chey to change settings for things like studio shooting (which i discover to my horror after sun's newbie class with astin), plus the shutter speed is really laggy lor... sigh... my old FM2 (sold dat one) is faster than 707...

u sold ur fm2!? haiz..

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Hows your sun studio shots turn out to be? :D
Actually the shutter lag and the need to change setting is not that bad for studio shoot. When you do outdoor shoot then its bad.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
Astin said:
Hows your sun studio shots turn out to be? :D
Actually the shutter lag and the need to change setting is not that bad for studio shoot. When you do outdoor shoot then its bad.
sigh... sad to say, the cam's fine, the photog behind it wasn't... most of it needs some serious PSing. and i dun know why... could u PM me ur e-mail so that i can mail u an unprocessed shot so that u can point me in the right direction??

anyway, the shutter speed is a killer. i believe it was foo(?) who was emphaising the point that we shld not let the model pose too long for the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom