What is a gd free program to encode DVD to Mpeg4 format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi just want to check with u guys what is a gd free program I can download to convert DVD to Mpeg4 format? I m using HandBrake now, but it can't seems to work leh. When I tried to do the conversion, the process seems extremely slow. After 1 hr and its only 35% done, is conversion of DVD to other formats so slow one? If there is any other better programs (free), do recommend me. Thanks!:)

Try videora.

Hi just want to check with u guys what is a gd free program I can download to convert DVD to Mpeg4 format? I m using HandBrake now, but it can't seems to work leh. When I tried to do the conversion, the process seems extremely slow. After 1 hr and its only 35% done, is conversion of DVD to other formats so slow one? If there is any other better programs (free), do recommend me. Thanks!:)

Handbrake means you are a Macuser.

Do you have a PC at home. You can try Winavi.

you can also try DVDFab Platinum or Nero Recode 2. i've used them and Nero Recode 2 is faster. however, Nero Recode 2 do not allow you to recode protected DVDs. you need a software to bypass the check.

get DVDFab Platinum. you won't need a separate software to bypass the checking as it has a built-in checker.

output from both are good. and the output is highly configurable.

oh... time taken to recode a DVD to Mpeg4 takes around 2 hrs or so. normally, i just leave it alone and select the "Shutdown PC when done" option.

I am using handbrake and I find the conversion time very different. If you are using the H.264 it is VERY slow. If it is the other one, DIVX or Xvid, the speed is like 2-3 times faster....

Wanna tell u to use Handbrake but seems it does seem that slow to u, I'm not sure what else to recommend.

For me, I just leave it running, turn off my monitor while I sleep. Next morning wake up - done deal.

Oh, if u're finding it dog slow, ensure its not on 2-pass encoding.

you could actually un-check 2 pass encoding in setting. usually it only takes 45-60 mins to convert whole DVD. quality will be not as good as before, but it's good enough for me.
and the new version seems to have better performance, 0.9.1 if i'm not mistaken.

My 2 pass encoding is not checked. Anyway I am trying again now. Hopefully it can work this time. Reaching only 30+% in 1 hr is really too slow le.. Bro u using Handbrake too?

you could actually un-check 2 pass encoding in setting. usually it only takes 45-60 mins to convert whole DVD. quality will be not as good as before, but it's good enough for me.
and the new version seems to have better performance, 0.9.1 if i'm not mistaken.

Anyway normally how long does it take for u guys to convert DVD to Mpeg4. Is my conversion time abnormal? Coz it takes far too long and somemore my com is not very slow one.

Anyway normally how long does it take for u guys to convert DVD to Mpeg4. Is my conversion time abnormal? Coz it takes far too long and somemore my com is not very slow one.
Erm.... I din take note.

Like I'd said, I juz leave my Mac running overnight or before I leave home, juz set queue jobs and run. When I get home, its all done.

I am running the conversion now again. Surprisingly its much faster this time, maybe becoz I am using another DVD? But its only 15 mins and I am 38% done liao..;p

Erm.... I din take note.

Like I'd said, I juz leave my Mac running overnight or before I leave home, juz set queue jobs and run. When I get home, its all done.

My 2 pass encoding is not checked. Anyway I am trying again now. Hopefully it can work this time. Reaching only 30+% in 1 hr is really too slow le.. Bro u using Handbrake too?

yeah..i've been using it on my MBP, both mac and windows version, and lovin it.
h.264 codec + 2 pass encoding is awesome, i couldn't tell the difference.

I am running the conversion now again. Surprisingly its much faster this time, maybe becoz I am using another DVD? But its only 15 mins and I am 38% done liao..;p

yeah, it could be your dvd drive reading speed, anyway..have fun ripping :cool:

Bro what is 2 pass encoding? What it means? Is it enabling it will give better pic quality?

there's always SUPER.

TS: Use MacTheRipper to extract the DVD on to your desktop first before converting via Handbrake. PM me for the MTR 3 which is still in Beta :)

not sure about the details, but it removes pixelation in fast motion scenes. done by redistributing bitrate among fast scenes and slower scenes...i think ;p

Bro what is 2 pass encoding? What it means? Is it enabling it will give better pic quality?

Better picture quality (at least for my eyes) and of cos, during fast motion scenes, lesser visible pixellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.