Adiemus

May 21, 2004
Small island....
Hi all fellow CSers,

What would you recommend?

Hoya R72 IR filter

or

Kodak Wratten 87 IR filter

If you can give your comments plus post some of your own test shots, that would be great!
:dunno:

Hey Renegade,

I love your shots man! I tried a Hoya R72 too at Boat Quay, but got red all over! :cry:

any tips?

Other fellow CSers, please continue to post your susggestions. thanks

Which IR filter to use depends a lot on what camera you are using and what kind of IR photos you are after. If you camera is not very sensitive to IR, then a near IR filter like Hoya R72 would be easier to use. Also, if you want to shoot 'colored' IR photos, especially with a not so IR-sensitive camera, the Hoya is good.

With more sensitive cameras, even the Hoya IR filter would result in IR photos that are more or else B&W.

Some samples of IR photos taken with a Hoya R72 filter with a not-so-sensitive Canon 10D and a more-sensitive Nikon Coolpix 950 can be found in my album here:
http://www.pbase.com/pschia/infra_red

Adiemus said:
Hey Renegade,

I love your shots man! I tried a Hoya R72 too at Boat Quay, but got red all over! :cry:

any tips?

red all over? err ... maybe can post a sample here.

Adiemus said:
Hey Renegade,

any tips?

Adiemus,

If I'm not wrong you're using a D70, you have your pictures all red.
I've been using the Hoya R72 on the D70 and results are good.
My guess is that you did not do a preset white balance before shooting. You need to fit the R72 onto the lens, go to preset white balance, point the camera on a brightly sunlit patch of grass or any foilage. Press the shutter and if accepted your top lcd display will show "GOOD".
Use this preset White Balance for shooting IR pictures whenever you use the R72.
Hope this works for you. Post any problems you may have.

teerex said:
Adiemus,

If I'm not wrong you're using a D70, you have your pictures all red.
I've been using the Hoya R72 on the D70 and results are good.
My guess is that you did not do a preset white balance before shooting. You need to fit the R72 onto the lens, go to preset white balance, point the camera on a brightly sunlit patch of grass or any foilage. Press the shutter and if accepted your top lcd display will show "GOOD".
Use this preset White Balance for shooting IR pictures whenever you use the R72.
Hope this works for you. Post any problems you may have.

Thanks again Teerex for you valuable information. I love your coloured IR shots at the SBG. Will try out what you suggested.

renegade said:
red all over? err ... maybe can post a sample here.

Here's a "red" shot. :cry:

ir_boatquay.jpg

I can do a PP on Photoshop, but I was just wondering if photographers can actually get B&W pics straight from a digital camera. :dunno:

Any CSers have experience with the Kodak Wratten Gel Filter? :dunno:

Adiemus said:
Hi all fellow CSers,

What would you recommend?

Hoya R72 IR filter

or

Kodak Wratten 87 IR filter

R72 lor. You have seen my Near IR pics @ SBWR. :)
You can actually try taking a pic of people, then you can see the veins and all that stuff......pretty cool. I mean take it under bright sunlight, the near IR will penerate the skin a bit (not the Sony X-ray thingy, a bit different for that). It's not far IR thermal heat picture taking..... :)

87 i think a bit siong for dSLR with a heavy IR cut-off coz of the IR filter before the sensor (compared to point and shoots). ISO performance helps a lot, but again since most shots are more of like landscapes, you would want some decent apertures like f8, so again the p&s got the advantage back..... You could do like 35mm f2.8 with no problems with p&s.....dSLRs a bit pushing it with the DOF for a scene with depth.

So generally, my comments are about the same with what tomcat recommended. :)

Adiemus said:
Thanks again Teerex for you valuable information. I love your coloured IR shots at the SBG. Will try out what you suggested.

Anytiime Adiemus. Your red shot is definitely caused by lack of setting the W/B with the IR filter.

I used to get those red shots when I started out with IR. PS will not be able to emulate true IR pictures.

Try/experiment, if fun learning thru' mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.