What, in your opinion, is an 'Abstract' Photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eikin said:
wild thought ...

art is always created with intention, even if it only occurs at the subconcious level ... abstract art is expression created with the intent to imply the immaterial order of things, the physical form of the tools used to create the art does not become a product of themself but are employed to, at the very least, suggest an 'oppressed' state.

:bsmilie:

Pardon me, but...WHAT??!! :bsmilie:

eikin said:
the expression of the oppressed state is the liberation :bsmilie:

ok.....so the viewer of the abstract photo which expresses "oppression" feels oppressed or liberated? :dunno:

my simple thinking is that a photo that expresses "sadness" makes the viewer feel sad etc.

fWord said:
Pardon me, but...WHAT??!! :bsmilie:

my sentiments exactly.... :bsmilie:

zaren said:
ok.....so the viewer of the abstract photo which expresses "oppression" feels oppressed or liberated? :dunno:

my simple thinking is that a photo that expresses "sadness" makes the viewer feel sad etc.

eh ... i mentioned it's not the 'oppression' you find in dictionary leh ... nevermind :bsmilie:

*took off the link ... too much sociology involved :sweat:*

eikin said:
eh ... i mentioned it's not the 'oppression' you find in dictionary leh ... nevermind :bsmilie:

*took off the link ... too much sociology involved :sweat:*

v cheem lah....next time i chia u kopi u explain to me lah! :)

zaren said:
v cheem lah....next time i chia u kopi u explain to me lah! :)

i charge by the hour ... must make my years of study worth right? :bsmilie:

eikin said:
i charge by the hour ... must make my years of study worth right? :bsmilie:

wah.....chia u kopi still kena charged somemore! what do they teach in schools these days??!!! :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

zaren said:
wah.....chia u kopi still kena charged somemore! what do they teach in schools these days??!!! :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

economics ... my friend in class teach me one :bsmilie: anyway since you so interested in this kind of 'Is' 'Is not' 'there but not there' thing ... read some of Freud, Lacan, Jameson etc ... ... you might just go deeper :sweat:

these described best what abstract is....

1. Considered apart from concrete existence: an abstract concept.

6. Having an intellectual and affective artistic content that depends solely on intrinsic form rather than on narrative content or pictorial representation: abstract painting and sculpture.

from here

NMSS_2 said:
these described best what abstract is....

1. Considered apart from concrete existence: an abstract concept.

6. Having an intellectual and affective artistic content that depends solely on intrinsic form rather than on narrative content or pictorial representation: abstract painting and sculpture.

from here

Hence, would silhouttes be considered as abstracts? :think:

abstrart? you plan a shot but just turns out in a way you can't really see it as you perceived and thus you do some effects and its being group under your "abstract" category. and its definately pleasing to your eyes as well.

fWord said:
Hence, would silhouttes be considered as abstracts? :think:

can be consider as an abstract if the viewers dont see the silhouettes as what they know of but rather they are lead to think of.

something like this:

a silhouette of a partial bitten apple but frame it in a way that the viewers see more of the teeth marks rather than an apple itself.

my explanation might not be powderful enough. hope others can fill in more.

this is getting confusing. but i like zarens (lengthy) explanation

zaren said:
The really good abstract photographers have complete control over what they are planning to capture on film. The know what intangible essence they want to convey and that doesn't happen by accident.

this applies to all art photography. art is an intention and requires a thought process. taking random photos without considering its artysness is just taking snapshots.

Koelsch said:
abstrart? you plan a shot but just turns out in a way you can't really see it as you perceived and thus you do some effects and its being group under your "abstract" category. and its definately pleasing to your eyes as well.

Heheh...perhaps. :) Sometimes it seems that a photographer will call something an 'abstract' as the best defence against what would otherwise be considered a failed picture.

NMSS_2 said:
can be consider as an abstract if the viewers dont see the silhouettes as what they know of but rather they are lead to think of.

something like this:

a silhouette of a partial bitten apple but frame it in a way that the viewers see more of the teeth marks rather than an apple itself.

my explanation might not be powderful enough. hope others can fill in more.

Yes, I think I get where you're going...and that is to say that an abstract photo serves to show the audience a snippet of a scene in intimate detail and in a manner that may not be commonly viewed.

kentay said:
this is getting confusing. but i like zarens (lengthy) explanation

this applies to all art photography. art is an intention and requires a thought process. taking random photos without considering its artysness is just taking snapshots.

Although in some lucky cases, a snapshot can become a great photograph with a bit of luck. Photography probably does involve a deal of luck. Although we may be able to pre-visualize or roughly guess what might happen next, it doesn't always turn out to be that way. And the way a scene can change so much in just a second (the amount of time it may take to press the shutter and wait before we can take the next shot) is just astounding. It can make a so-so scene a 'wow', or simply move a scene that is at the climax of its action/ feel into something that's just ho-hum. :eek:

zaren said:
Objects have many physical qualities that maybe photographed. Primarily, we are concerned with what something looked like...this mountain; this building; this face.

However, objects also are composed of abstract qualities that are not so easily photographed. An abstract quality such as 'texture' or 'colour' for example may be a subject completely removed from a specific object. We can take a picture of something that happens to be green but how do we take a picture OF green? We may take a picture od something that is smooth or rough but how do we take a picture of the quality of 'smoothness' or 'roughness' apart from the object itself? This is what abstract photography aims to do. It tries to separate a specific intangible element of an object and present that to us so that we experience that quality...'greenness' for example...as not simply a part of an object but as the 'pure' concept.

Too many people think that an abstract photograph is supposed to be confusing and induce the 'Huh?' reaction but, in fact, the best of the abstracts give new information and provide viewers with insight into a quality that they cannot ordinarily experience directly but only as a property of something else. It provokes the 'Ah Ha!" reaction instead of the 'Huh?'reaction.

Over the years, people have blurred the idea of the abstract into a catch-all for photographic mistakes and bad technique. You accidentally pressed the shutter release and what is, in reality, an unframed, out of focus, poorly exposed mistake becomes an 'abstract'! The really good abstract photographers have complete control over what they are planning to capture on film. The know what intangible essence they want to convey and that doesn't happen by accident.

Good abstracts are perhaps the most difficult of all images to produce. Mistakes labelled as abstracts take no effort whatsoever.

- Meryl Arbing
Well-said, Unker!

lil_princess said:
Well-said, Unker!

i'm just quoting someone else....:)

long time no see ur abstracts leh niece! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.