What improvements do you think will be made in the "K-3"?

JohnTaylor

Jun 24, 2009
I thought I'd throw out a fun topic where we have a guess at what improvements we can see in the K-5's inevitable successor which would probably be due out next year, given the usual 1-2 year product cycle.

As we all know, the K-5's main improvement over the K-7 was better sensor from Sony, allowing high iso performance. The body was unchanged, as it was already perfect.

Besides having a video with autofocus, and changing metal strap rings to the modern strap slots, which reduces the noise, I can't think of anything at all.

What do you think we will see on the next "K-3"?

ps: no...there is no official k-3..I just assume the name will be k-3 since we went from k-7 to k-5 :)

Yeah...I hope on the following :

1. Overheating issues can be addressed. Therefore longer shooting duration for both videos and LV.
2. Videos should have more options not just 30p.
3. Videos should support the better H.264 format rather than the aging (yet reliable) MPJEG. :p
4. Faster processor. PRIME III. (also lead to faster processing with the inbuilt options switched on and faster AF << might be lenses related rather than the body....:p)

I don't know what we will see, Pentax is always quite surprising.

What I want to see though:

1) Even better DR (as always)
2) Built-in viewfinder shutter (like on the Nikon D700)
3) I don't know how they implement the shutter release button on the K-5, but it might be worth considering to ensure that a WR option, i.e. when using SR you still can have your camera splashed without issues
4) Even better battery life

And unrelated yet related to this:
1) WR, UWA prime, doesn't have to be fast. Something like 10mm-11mm, pancake sized and reasonable sharpness when stopped down to F/8... Mmmm.

If its still APC most likely the new 24MP sensor with better iso than D700... probably the same DR compare to now and plus minor touch up on the AF...

But I waiting for the sucessor for k-r actually... put the current K-5 sensor into k-r, 14 bit depth, AF fine tune with 20 lenses... and price it at $700... :bsmilie: a lot of ppl will be very happy...

but i though next yr there might the K-1 coming... :cool:

and also hoping some updates on the lenses... The UWA lenses needs an update...

1) WR, UWA prime, doesn't have to be fast. Something like 10mm-11mm, pancake sized and reasonable sharpness when stopped down to F/8... Mmmm.

i'm actually more interested in the "unrelated" issue ;p

more lenses, improved SDM, better flash system. no need to be physical product but at least release some reassuring news that these things are in development, or better yet, release some prototypes.

One more up for this! If the DA15 Ltd was instead a DA11 or a DA12, I'd probably have bought it by now.

If its still APC most likely the new 24MP sensor with better iso than D700... probably the same DR compare to now and plus minor touch up on the AF...

But I waiting for the sucessor for k-r actually... put the current K-5 sensor into k-r, 14 bit depth, AF fine tune with 20 lenses... and price it at $700... :bsmilie: a lot of ppl will be very happy...

Although I might be sabo'ing my own thread, I am also more interested in what the K-R successor will be like too!

To me, if the K-R had a quieter shutter release click noise, it would be excellent, as WR is not important to me (I have another camera for that). I find the features on the K-R to be excellent, besides the loudness of the shutter click. It's the one thing not improved on from the K-X.

smaller af points. currently pentax af points are quite large, larger than the af boxes in the viewfinder. if af points are smaller, this may contribute to lesser oof shots

if they can make the Kr WR too it would be amazing! but i dream... :p

One more up for this! If the DA15 Ltd was instead a DA11 or a DA12, I'd probably have bought it by now.

how abt a DA10 Ltd? hhaha

Make it a da8 Ltd ba

1. Even more improvements to AF
2. Option to remember zoom in point when using LV (useful for MF)
3. Option to have a super-imposed zoom in box in LV (can then compose as well as MF)
4. PTTL improvement (need a major improvement here)
5. Faster max flash sync speed (ie. 1/250)
6. AF in video (just to 'keep up with the Jones' as a marketing tool)

Maybe we should send Ricoh/Pentax a petition or open letter stating what we would like to see in their upcoming DSLR, EVIL, lens line-up? :)

i think edutilos mentioned a feature in another thread once that really appeals to me - focus bracketing - mount camera on tripod, set mirror up, adjust focus manually, trigger focus bracketing function, snap 1 with the subject in focus, snap 10 shots with -10mm focus, snap 10 shots with +10mm focus and voila! 20 shots just right for focus stacking.

of course, this will necessitate the development of a more advanced macro lens - probably one with SDM, or a more advanced lens motor that can handle such precision, as well as a flash with much faster refresh rate and more consistent metering.

oh bugger... i digress again... seems like there's not much the new body can do unless they make other concurrent improvements across the board :sticktong

They will need a very powerful CPU for that. SAFOX III. Quad core Ultra low power Imaging Processor. :p Only REAL CORES does the job. Muhahahaa..

They will need a very powerful CPU for that. SAFOX III. Quad core Ultra low power Imaging Processor. :p Only REAL CORES does the job. Muhahahaa..

actually, no need. because AF doesn't come into the picture at all.

just let the user define the first frame, and automatically take the rest in sequence - focus shift from from the first position from -10mm, to +10mm. 21 shots in all.

expecting the camera to AF at such high levels of magnification and such shallow DOF is wishful thinking anyway. no system i know can do that properly.

and of course, a sensible level of user intervention and expectation is necessary. the first focusing position has to be accurate. 1:1 would not be possible. but 1:2 or 1:0.8 shouldn't be a problem. cropping can achieve the rest.

there are already accessories available that can do this, but they achieve this by mounting the camera onto mechanical rails and shifting focus by physically moving the camera back and forth. its cumbersome and not suitable for outdoor use.

my idea is just to shift using the lens focusing mechanism. its not foolproof and die-hard macro pros may not like it cos the size of the subject and the bokeh may be affected but thats minor imo - photoshop can compensate if its not too drastic and at less than 1:1 magnification, its not that bad.

Last edited:
how about a foveon, with useable iso 3200. i'd grab it :bsmilie:

Better AF - more AF points, predictive AF, better in low-light, no FF issues on launch
Faster processing and card write speed, bigger buffer
Ditch the retro style strap lugs
Put back a "Fn" button, I still can't get used to the K-7/5 way of accessing the AF points and the various options menu. The previous 'Fn' button way was so much more direct
More control in video, such as exposure and audio gain

Put back a "Fn" button, I still can't get used to the K-7/5 way of accessing the AF points and the various options menu. The previous 'Fn' button way was so much more direct

Yes, come to think of it, I have to agree with this comment.

I knew I forgot something that I didn't like so much about my K-r. And it's really not just about habits, having to hold ok for one second can sometimes mean that the cat has run off into a drain.