What if your model isn't....

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanyewkay

Sep 22, 2004
Cons digger.
Just want to ask if you were paid to do a shootout by a client who isn't photogenic (eg: not pretty, no nice figure or is simply a fashion no no).

How would you get them to pose or take photos that they'll be pleased with?

All the photos of portraits I see here are from models with perfect figures and faces. Most people pay to shoot these models and have ample experience shooting perfect models. What about the not perfect ones? :think:

anyone thought of it?

Had I chance to shoot a friend some moons back, just learn to shoot from an angle that will compliment the model, you need to know what are the pros and what are the cons of the model's look and their features. :)

tell them you are an artist... den you take really artistic stuff b4, den u take a paper bag or anything to cover their 'not so nice' part... den tell them its a work of art... very abstract... :p

i think, photograhpers need to look at various angles, look at the best position, best angle den take the shot. like shooting things that we enjoy, find a nice spot, camp 1/2 a day, den take 1 pic, still worth the time, use the same concept, apply here...

One way to do it is to take many shots from various angles and in different settings (lightings, environment if possible) and look for the better ones. The difference between taking a model and a not so photogenic subject is that out of 100 shots each, you may be able to find 80 good ones for a model but only 20 good ones for the not so photogenic subject. Just like you can still catch some bad shots of a nice model, you should able to catch a few good shots with a not so nice one.
My first post in CS!

yanyewkay said:
Just want to ask if you were paid to do a shootout by a client who isn't photogenic (eg: not pretty, no nice figure or is simply a fashion no no).

All the photos of portraits I see here are from models with perfect figures and faces. Most people pay to shoot these models and have ample experience shooting perfect models. What about the not perfect ones? :think:

anyone thought of it?
It happens all the time for me... Generally, overtime, you will catch the techniques. For example, if fat, then don't take fontal pose, then side poses etc. If not pretty, apply more makeup lor. Somehow, as you gain experience, you will know the techniques. Cheers. Just remember that beyond the phyiscal self, everyone is beautiful. It's up to the photographer to bring out the beauty.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
janis joplin was beautifully shot by a famous photographer and looked lovely although she's not pretty
personally for me the model is of secondary importance in a picture, the surroundings, the lighting, the colours, the treatment of the picture can decide how "good" a person will end up looking
just take a look at movies where people as ugly as russell crowe and benicio del toro can look powerful and inspiring

thanks guys!

quite informative. It's time to get to the ground to do some hands-on..

yanyewkay said:

anyone thought of it?

I think there are ways e.g. lighting, poses, dresses, makeup, camera angles etc. to photograph the less than perfect bodies to make them easier on the eyes.

This is probably one of the reasons a photographer instead of a butcher is hired to take the pictures

Sion said:
I think there are ways e.g. lighting, poses, dresses, makeup, camera angles etc. to photograph the less than perfect bodies to make them easier on the eyes.

This is probably one of the reasons a photographer instead of a butcher is hired to take the pictures

or one watching a surgeon explaining and performing a surgical operation and attempting to do one later by yourself.

you are actually quoting a situation a lot of wedding/glamour/makeover photographers face during their job, lol!

there are two way to go about this...one, try and make the model look as far removed from his/her usual self as possible, with lighting, makeup, cheat with camera angles, poses etc ...just to distract from the non-photogenic side, without appearing too artificial. this is what most wedding/makeover photographers will do (and paid to do).

or two, you can sit down with the model, spend some time understanding him/her better and do what they call 'character portraiture'. for example, perhaps can visit this site. instead of bringing out the 'physical' beauty of the person, try and capture the 'character'.
it may sound arty farty, but perhaps the model will appreciate this method better.

yanyewkay said:

anyone thought of it?

That's why you see so many superficial model shots here, and you're asking them?!

Stereobox said:
you are actually quoting a situation a lot of wedding/glamour/makeover photographers face during their job, lol!

there are two way to go about this...one, try and make the model look as far removed from his/her usual self as possible, with lighting, makeup, cheat with camera angles, poses etc ...just to distract from the non-photogenic side, without appearing too artificial. this is what most wedding/makeover photographers will do (and paid to do)...
as an ex-makeover photog, wat Stereobox wrote is very true. i get ppl from all walks of life, and all kinds of faces to shoot, so i hv2 very quickly 'look' at the customers and decide immediately how to shoot with the limited shots in their packages...

trust me, it's a real training ground for photogs who wanna go into portraiture/fashion photography, as 80% of customers are 'non-model' quality :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.