Rosa Goldworthy from Rushy - if its the name I am commonly known by

Miththonion from Standelf.....was an Adventurous Dragon

Madoc*Bracegirdle from Oatbarton

By NRIC name..

i'm a Horrible Meara!? :confused:

Elvish name Erondoion
As a hobbit, Ferumbras Greenhand from Bree
a dawrf..Dóin Craftyhands!

Mine is Ferdinand Goldworthy from Brockenborings, a Furry-footed Umbarian.

Whatever that is.

I'm Gorbulas Baker from Tuckborough... sounds a little Klingon to me...

Elven: Amanlómë

Hobbit: Gerontius Sandyman from Scary

Dwarf: Grór Deathwater

Orc: Grimdúsh the Blacktooth

n me waz a cowardly Rohirrim :bsmilie:

:D

The area of Sydney where I grew up is known by the locals as 'The Shire'. It always has.. When all the suburban local government area's in NSW were turned into 'cities' and 'municiplatities' years back, Sutherland while now technicaly now something else (I think a 'city'), it was allowed to keep it's name of 'Sutherland Shire' even though it wan't legally a shire anymore.

This is way before the LOTR movie craze....

Of course now if some one askes were you grew up and you answer the 'The Shire', they think your a LOTR nut :)

matthew said:
The area of Sydney where I grew up is known by the locals as 'The Shire'. It always has.. When all the suburban local government area's in NSW were turned into 'cities' and 'municiplatities' years back, Sutherland while now technicaly now something else (I think a 'city'), it was allowed to keep it's name of 'Sutherland Shire' even though it wan't legally a shire anymore.

Of course now if some one askes were you grew up and you answer the 'The Shire', they think your a LOTR nut :)

Hmm.. Interesting..

The book LOTR first appear on November 1974. Maybe JRR Tolkien might have been inspired by your hometown... You never know.

BTW, is that name still being used as in it can be found on the map?

binbeto said:
Hmm.. Interesting..

The book LOTR first appear on November 1974. Maybe JRR Tolkien might have been inspired by your hometown... You never know.

Nahh. No such luck :)

A 'Shire' is an English governmental term that we inherited. It is still in use, here and back in England. Tolkien was English I think. His 'shires' would have been the rural 'downs' of England - complete with the barrows.

When looking at some English barrows on the downs in Devon a few months back my wife professed a worry that 'barrow wrights' might try and kidnap her :)

The downs around Stonehenge is way is what I imagine Middle Earth to be - a mystical medieval England.

binbeto said:
BTW, is that name still being used as in it can be found on the map?

http://www.sutherland.nsw.gov.au/

You won't find references to 'the shire' on their offical web site though.

What the locals say and what a goverment department can put on a web site are two very different things :)

Following my NRIC name, I was a Hideous Haradrim?? :confused:

Elvish: Iaurtarma

Hobbit: Sigismond Fields from Nobottle

Dwarven: Mîm Crashingeye

Nice to meet all of u! :bsmilie:

Elven Name is: Pherfac, or Pherfacion

Hobbit lad name is: Mosco Tussock from Combe

Dwarven Name is: Merin Orcbringer

Orkish Name is: Ugtrak the Bad-Moon

i think i like my elvish name - sounds like Perfect. :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.