what if someone knocks over your gears?

yrh0413

Oct 21, 2004
Singapore
www.danielyee.net
Say you are at a scenic location, with your tripod and camera all set up. Suddenly some tourist/local accidentally knocked your tripod and your gears sustained damage.

Consider yourself unlucky and bear with the loss, or demand compensation from the culprit? Will the police be bothered if things go beyond control?

Tough luck. That's what I would say. You are supposed to look after your things in public places. In Singapore context, the police will not want involvement unless a fight erupts or it causes public disturbances. If you are a little lucky, the person who damaged your gears may offer some compensation. Otherwise, you are on your own.

why would you even let any strangers within a 2 metre radius of your gears??? :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

If I allowed the person to knock over my gears, it's my fault that I let it drop.....so, in short, tough luck.

well I recently saw an accident where a photographer's gears were knocked down by a child, and the parents just pull the child away. The only compensation the unlucky photographer got was a few rounds of "sorry". I believe apologies do not cost as much as replacing a brand new 14-24mm. The poor lens smacked straight down to the cement floor, with its front element hitting the ground first. The family runs off hastily when the photographer assess the damage of his lens.

Personally I don't think it was the photographer's fault... sh*t happens no matter how careful you are.

Even if you mount the camera on a tripod, you also need to look after it carefully and not to leave it alone, especially if it got a brand new 14-24mm. Also the culpit is a child, you cant really do much. Just like a kid riding a bicycle in carpark and knock into a Merc or BMW and dent the car, do you proceed to file a claim from the kid?

Say you are at a scenic location, with your tripod and camera all set up. Suddenly some tourist/local accidentally knocked your tripod and your gears sustained damage.

Consider yourself unlucky and bear with the loss, or demand compensation from the culprit? Will the police be bothered if things go beyond control?
What if the tourist/local accidentally tripped over your multi-million dollar camera equipments, knocking his head somewhere resulting in sever cerebral haemorrhage and died leaving behind a grieving spouse and four children in a third-world country to fend for themselves? Will you be burdened by the guilt that you may have possibly killed someone for your lifetime or be relieved in the fact that there are no damages your multi-million dollar camera equipments?

;p

Darm school holidays. :sweat:

Last edited:
What if the tourist/local accidentally tripped over your multi-million dollar camera equipments, knocking his head somewhere resulting in sever cerebral haemorrhage and died leaving behind a grieving spouse and four children in a third-world country to fend for themselves? Will you be burdened by the guilt that you may have possibly killed someone for your lifetime or be relieved in the fact that there are no damages your multi-million dollar camera equipments?

;p

Darm school holidays. :sweat:

That's not tough luck but deep ****. :sweat:

When i at china with my camera mounted on the tripod for self taking, i so scare that either it will be knock down or got stolen right in front of me. That's why, I always scan the surrounding before moving away from my tripod to ensure it is safe for a self shoot. Anyway, area with kids around are dangerous to us. Either we hit them by accident or they hit our "wife" by careless.

keep an eye on your camera set up at all time, warn anyone if they are coming too close for conform.

the last resort you can set up the follow items around your camera, hope this help.

cross-type-razor-wire-bto-22--28212529677.jpg

Police.jpg

Barricade-Yellow-black-38H-LSS-_i_LBM48425_03Z.jpg

there are people who will purposely kick your tripod , look into your eyes and say "you think this is your father's place huh?"

hence, be considerate, don't put your tripod there forever as if you own the place. shoot faster and move.

there are people who will purposely kick your tripod , look into your eyes and say "you think this is your father's place huh?"

hence, be considerate, don't put your tripod there forever as if you own the place. shoot faster and move.
Your tripod not heavy enough, It's time to go heavy duty. ;)

mk7hooklinekitheavyduty.jpg

750 kg capacity

Last edited:
keep an eye on your camera set up at all time, warn anyone if they are coming too close for conform.

the last resort you can set up the follow items around your camera, hope this help.

cross-type-razor-wire-bto-22--28212529677.jpg

Police.jpg

Barricade-Yellow-black-38H-LSS-_i_LBM48425_03Z.jpg

might as well build a fortress with sandbags and stone walls, mounted sentry guns etc etc hahaha