What I love/hate about Picasa....

What I love / hate about Picasa...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zplus

Mar 16, 2002
Some equitorial, tropical isle
Picasa 2 is a free software offered by Google for basic photo editing, management, sharing and posting.

ANyway, I downloaded it to try and was amazed at how aneroxic the program is... its a mere 3.16 megabytes. Its quite easy to use with some nice features.

I think it provides most of the functionality for most P&S photogs who do not need extensive editing (ie general public).

OK, so what do you love or hate about Picasa 2??

For me....
Love, coz its free and I can recommand it to friends without teaching em PS.
"Er... why does my colors look good in PS but looks washed out after I save em...."
"You mean it costs me $1K to buy it??"
;)

Its a good starter for those just come into digital photography. I esp like to use it for image management as well as viewing. (Dun need to worry to about using the JB version of P* and others.....haha)

I hate it !!!!!! Why? because it does not have a Mac version to dowload :bsmilie:

I use it to index my HDD containing all the photographs, lets me look through it all very easily.

adamadam said:
I use it to index my HDD containing all the photographs, lets me look through it all very easily.
it does? i need some photo management system man.. mine's all in a mess

I think it creates thumbnails... it updates itself when you add new pics.
Oh... try the softfocus... not bad...
:)

playing it around at home recently... it does perform some basic functions easily...
filters/sharpen/b&w etc, and it creates collages for lazy pp too.. hehe, but the collage effect not really to my liking yet. (just started using, not sure how to do also)

its quite user friendly though, but for more advance editing, ps is still better, like cloning and tec...

but its free~ hehe

Really love it..!!! I just switch from PS to PicasaII. For serious work and difficult processing, I still use PS. Picasa II still very easy to use. It actually saved me lot of time processing compared to PS. ;)

i hate it also because it does not have a MAC version..ahaha..

i only just started using Picasa2 for a while then i use a MAC..and i am surprised the picasa editing tools are so much more n fun to use the the iphoto05 that i am using now..hahah..

:thumbsup: for picasa2! ;)

I like picassa2 for it's basic image management. Not really very suitable for serious pp.

What i most like of all is. - IT'S FOC (free of charge).

I guess the only thing good about it is that it's FOC... I find while it does do some image processing stuff, but it either inflate the photo size or deflate to an alarming stage where I am doubting what I see.... Had it removed from my lappie... But I miss the management part with the thumbnails... Maybe I should install Nikon View instead... Hmmm... But is a bit too "fat" to be installed in office lappie....

After a few days of usage... found that it does not manage subfolders very well.....

Eg,
Say I have my files stored as such....
d:\20050409SomeEvent\CF1
d:\20050409SomeEvent\CF2
d:\20050409SomeEvent\CF3

Picassa will show on the left:
CF1
20050409SomeEvent
CF2
CF3

or

20050409SomeEvent
CF1
CF2
CF3

or some other sequence.....
It does not follow some directory tree structure....
;p

Also, it keeps scanning new files and creating thumbnails.... hehe... maybe I have too many pics on my hdd. :)

Oh yeah... and that too... which is why Nikon View still some what better than Picassa....

I believe you can sort it according to your likeness, for example: sort by folder, or sort by time. The button I believe on the right top corner.

Picasa is good, better than Adobe PA. I like its simplicity and the speed of loading.

I think im wierd, i dun quite like indexing my photos and storing them in some library like what iphoto or picasa does.
I prefer finding them myself..haha..anymore such wierd pple around? :embrass:

I prefer Picasa much more than iPhoto. iPhoto moves all my pics to its own folder and sorts them according to year, then month and date. But Picasa lets me organize my photos any way I want.

Moved to a Mac less than one month ago but still cannot find any applications that are like Picasa. Any recommedations? I know about iView Media, but its expensive...

laugh said:
I think im wierd, i dun quite like indexing my photos and storing them in some library like what iphoto or picasa does.
I prefer finding them myself..haha..anymore such wierd pple around? :embrass:

No you are not weird: I used to do that too until my 12-year's worth of images balloon'ed beyond 100,000...

BTW, Picasa don't move files: you can tell it to index and monitor any folders/drives where you prefer to store images. Browsing in Picasa is like browsing your folders anyway, just that you don't have to open/close like last time. I have Picasa monitor 3 different hard drives where I store files.

IMHO, Picasa + Irfanview = killer combo for sorting pics.

Anyway, its free: can it get any better? (OK, maybe if Google buys over Corel etc. and add more PS-like features and still keeps it free!) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.