What happens when you're called up for reservist when you have a shoot to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
Just wondering what we can do...
Anybody had the experience before?

are you affected?

if you are, AWOL.

if others are concerned, i would advise them to go back :bsmilie:

Think it's the same regardless of the job you have, just write in and ask for deferment. Whether they grant your deferment will depend on many factors, like your unit, appointment, manpower status, type of callup, etc.

willyfoo said:

no need to defer..... speak to your S1....if not, sound your PC out, who will subsequently refer to OC ...turning up for ICT is a sign of positive attitude... think about it..we cant ensure we will not have another shoot during the next ICT :) All you need to indicate is how much revenue it means to you..... if you are doing TFCD, you would be lucky if your officers are photographers too :bsmilie:

I know bcos I manage deferment during ICTs...of cos, subject to 'on-ness' of your unit..usually okay , lah.....shoot oredi then re-join training programme ;)

Bluestrike said:
"we give you 6 mths notice"

hehehhee...

true...but photography is very personal, SIR ...nobody can take over my shoot..client says they ONLY want me, Willy Foo to shoot :sticktong

SIR --- > S1, PC, 2IC, OC or even CO :lovegrin:

If normally you are on good terms or at least you are not blacklisted by your superiors. Then got back on the first day in the morning, look for your OC and tell him the problem. Everyone are NSMan, unlikely you find some joker who super on the ball and tell you about serve the nation and country and reservist more important than work thing. He will most likely let you take off for the days for your shoot. Better still if you can get your OC's number, call him and talk to him. Most of the time the trainers will say as long your OC say okay, they are okay.

So far my reservist many instances of people who take off either to take exam(professional accreditation), Study for exam, go for interview etc etc etc.... They still considered as having served the full reservist despite their absence. But dont ever AWOL cos it will create trouble in terms of paperwork for everyone, get everyone more pissed off... and more likely for you to be denied any lee ways.

show your CO your chio bu portfolio, and promise to take him on your next model shoot.
Yellow!%20giggle.gif

Curious, if the officer denies your deferment, can you claim for loss of income even if you are
either
1. self exployments
2. or working part-time
3. per project/contract basis?

how you get reimbursed if you are a freelancer? Anyone tried to apply for that??

It depends on whether you are a Key appointment holder when u ask for last min deferment :) Being tasked to evaluate last min deferment, I can only say this. Dont leave it to the last min, most of the time , the OC cant do much unless you wanna leave during the preparation phase and definitely not in any operational phase when the unit is being accessed.

When you get time off, be super on the ball for the remaining period of ICT, cos if you happen to slack, might end up failing that ICT with a bad grade and need to redo.

As for Photographers, you need your income tax submission for claims. No worry as long as you have problems. Talk to the people from NS claims department. They are most helpful.

Hope that helps

In other people's view this may be unfair.
They also have many good reasons why they should not be in camp.
The CO must be seen to be fair so he cannot favour you alone. But things are flexible if you are well known by whole battalion to be on the ball and people know you can be trusted not to abuse the privilege.

yo bro long time no see..

always have clause in contract that u're able to get a replacement photographer in the event such things happen lor..

willyfoo said:

Hmm .. that will depends which come first lor ....

Say if you received the notice for NS .. then you better rejects else make alternatives plan. Also depends onwhat kind of call up or isit on MOB ??

However if you have agreed to a shooting prior to NS notification, then see what can be done or make early deferment lor...

My experience was many years back I was on standby for MOB and my friend ask me to shoot her wedding over the weekend for 2 days. 1st day ceremony and 2nd day dinner .. I sound her that I am on standby and not sure whether what will happens... True enough on Saturday I was activated for MOB ... after settle everything for her ... her friend drove me back to change and to my reporting unit .. :thumbsup:

About fairness, actually it all depends on your performance during the actual time you are in camp.

If you take off, remainder time bo chap, act blur, you are asking for it. Whereelse if you show that you are on the ball, you will most likely be forgiven. Cos everyone is just serving NS liability, and I have seen situations when OC and PC defer at last min and PS have to take over as PC and no OC..... and we all still get along fine. Most of us also take reservist as a holiday from our work outside. And it can also be a good way to make new contacts. As we are all slogging it out together in green, its easier to talk then in the outside world. In a way no way to run away from each other. haha Each time I go reservist, I am talking and selling my company's services and sometimes you meet top people in your unit who can make decisions such as CEOs, Directors etc..... yes despite the myth that if you are highly paid you wont get reservist... you do get called back now.

If you're referring to recall/mobilisation, then you have a certain no. of hrs to report back by; so either finish whatever shoot and report back, or quick quick report back, then go for shoot.

If you're referring to in-camp/BCTC etc, then technically, they should have given you the call-up 6 months in advance (but we all know its always shorter than that). So, write in for the deferment; From what I understand, nowadays, they outsourced this to this NSSC which has a call centre and a Customer Service Offer to attend to your deferment needs.....

i dun have to go ict anymore, so any wedding day shoot, let me know, weekday or weekend.:bsmilie:

try not to defer if not you will end up like me having 2 in a year.

Get are replacement for your shoot and go for the "holiday" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.