What happens if client refuses to pay up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie_genie

Mar 17, 2006
Western Singapore
hi buddies

am in a sticky situation. What happens if we've delivered the high-res pics (in DVD) to a client but the client's hubby came up with lots of excuses to avoid payment? First claim that wife was ill, then claim that dun have Internet banking. When we offered to go to their home to collect the cheque, he claims we did not take his son with every single guest who was present so he's not exactly very pleased- blah blah blah.

We did not collect any deposit or sign a contract of service cos this client is supposedly a friend so we work on a basis of goodwill and trust. We even quoted them at a reduced rate. :( Are there any means of redress? The sum here is small, less than $500 but it just saddens me that people can be so sly. These are rich folks who stays in mulit-level bungalows near Swiss and British Embassy:(. Any advice. :(

Last edited:
You have just lost a 'friend', who wasn't a friend in the first place, see it as a lesson. Luckily, not too much..........perhaps they lost money or after paying off mortgage for their multimillion dollar house, they have got nothing left.....(living above their means?)

just be tactful with your collection with clients. that is, if you still want to be in this business.

Also, do not judge a person by their outlook to determine their wealth. Living in a posh glass tower may also mean they are but an empty vessel.

If he really cant pay, take it as bad debt and move on. But if he insults you, remind him the photos are your property - still.

little thing you can do now, maybe you want to try
Small Claims Tribunal

If you have a claim arising from a sale or purchase of goods, the provision of services (eg repairs renovation works), tortious damage to property (but not including damage arising because of a motor vehicle accident) or any contact relating to a lease of residential property for a period of less than 2 years, and your claim does not exceed $10,000, you can file a claim in the Small Claims Tribunal. However, you can also file a claim more than $10,000 but not exceeding $20,000 if both parties consent to it in writing. You must file your claim at the Small Claims Tribunal within 1 year from the date on which the incident you are complaining of took place.

The procedure is informal, easy and inexpensive. You will first attend a Consultation before the Registrar, who will mediate the claim and assist the parties in resolving the dispute. If a claim is not settled at the Consultation before the Registrar, it will generally be fixed for hearing before a Referee within 7 days from the date of Consultation. The Referee will also explore the possibility of settling the claim before adjudicating on it.

If you choose to bring a claim to the Small Claims Tribunal, your lawyer will not be allowed to come with you, as lawyers are not permitted to represent any of the parties in proceedings before the Tribunal.

You may appeal against decisions in the Small Claims Tribunal to the High Court on points of law. You will first have to apply to the District Judge for leave to appeal within 14 days of the Referee’s order, and only if the application is granted can you then file a Notice of Appeal to the High Court. This Notice of Appeal must be filed within 1 month of the District Judge’s order granting leave.
and yes, since they didn't pay, you can remind them that the images are still your property.

Ah long tactic....You have every right to wait in front of his gate or go to his office....give him pressure....to see if it's worth the $500 :sweat:

depend on how you are going to play with it. because there is no contract, chances is you can't claim at small case tribunal.. you can keep bugging them till God knows when... or you can just move on and treat it as a positive experience.

u charge less than 500 for a ad shoot?and yet they jump on the payment?
do u knw that some photog charge more than 10x yr amt and yet didn't bother to til the end to take shot of guests leaving?

Thanks all for your advice. It's not an ad shoot, just a casual first bday party at home + some portraiture shots. I guess it's a good lesson learnt - even assignments for friends must be in black and white. In this world there are many sorts of people, not every 'friend' can be trusted :embrass:

If they dun pay up. Threaten them to publish their photo online and media and later to police.

Hi All

I was in such predicament long time ago. So to survive in being self employed, I factored in 20 % not paying and charges 20 % more in all assignments and horning my skills in defining to the clients why I am worth 20% more instead of sulking and waisting time chasing for those not wanting to pay at any reasons. Cheer up and move on. Lesson learnt.

Thanks all for your advice. It's not an ad shoot, just a casual first bday party at home + some portraiture shots. I guess it's a good lesson learnt - even assignments for friends must be in black and white. In this world there are many sorts of people, not every 'friend' can be trusted :embrass:

And you still call them friend?

By the way if you have friend asking you to do stuff and they ask why all these formality then tell them if they want you to produce professional result or just anyhow-result. :bsmilie:

My clients who refused to pay up always ended up in the hospital with a broken limb because of an accident.

I was surprised that they paid so fast after that.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Eh.. bad luck or did you had anything to do with it? :think:

;) yes Sion, please 'pass' me some of that power too so I won't be bullied by my future clients!

My clients who refused to pay up always ended up in the hospital with a broken limb because of an accident.

I was surprised that they paid so fast after that.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Should wack their face jialat jialat so they don't ever need to take photo again. :angel:

And you still call them friend?

By the way if you have friend asking you to do stuff and they ask why all these formality then tell them if they want you to produce professional result or just anyhow-result. :bsmilie:

Exactly, some time they know you're a photographer and since you're their 'friend', they tend to want to dismiss with all the formality of signing contract, paying deposit etc. Lesson learnt is never to compromise at the expense of my self-interest. :nono:

Exactly, some time they know you're a photographer and since you're their 'friend', they tend to want to dismiss with all the formality of signing contract, paying deposit etc. Lesson learnt is never to compromise at the expense of my self-interest. :nono:

I am never in your shoe as I never make $$ out of my camera, but I always warn them that I am amateur although I take better than average photo they cannot expect me to give professional service as in fast pp (or even any pp other than convert raw to jpg) and I will pp based on my liking only. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.