what happens after pressing the film rewind button...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
This is probably going to sound very silly. But I accidentally hit the film rewind button when squeezing my camera back into the bag. No problem if I had already finished the roll, but I sitll have got about 10 exposures left on it.

So... Am I doomed to waste those remaining exposures and rewind the entire roll? Or the moment I **** the film advance lever, the "catch" (is there one?) will engage again and I can happily finish the roll of film.

If the slr camera smart enough to leave some end part not totally rolled in, you still can set the film again, put the lens cap, advance to the last photo+1 (to avoid overlapping), and you probably still can save remainder unexposed film -1.

Or, if totally rolled in, you can try to catch the film out again. Using special equipment, or using used film wet with water (some said using saliva is better to catch the film).

Regards,
Arto.

Ok. Correct me if my understanding here is wrong.

When I manually rewind, somewhere near the end there is some resistance (I think it is the film lead for you to pull out for new film, but I am not entirely sure). So I rewind until this point, and pop the back cover?

Then I pull it out again and feed it into the takeup spool? Close the cover. (my counter reads 22 now before I pop the cover). ensure that I cap the lens. cork(i cant spell **** it censors :bsmilie:) and shoot until [23] and after that continue shooting as per normal ?

Ok. Correct me if my understanding here is wrong.

When I manually rewind, somewhere near the end there is some resistance (I think it is the film lead for you to pull out for new film, but I am not entirely sure). So I rewind until this point, and pop the back cover?

Then I pull it out again and feed it into the takeup spool? Close the cover. (my counter reads 22 now before I pop the cover). ensure that I cap the lens. cork(i cant spell **** it censors :bsmilie:) and shoot until [23] and after that continue shooting as per normal ?
Correct!

That's what we do in film camera to switch different types of film, like ASA200, ASA1000, Slide film, B/W film. We called it mid-roll film switching.

Regards,
Arto.

:bsmilie: Sigh. I rewinded too much and all went back into the canister. LOL. Tried to catch the film using your method, but cant seem to get it. I guess I will have to forgot the remaining 10+ exposures. Rather than risk ruining the whole roll.

On a side note, is there any way to approximate the rewinding lever? like say... 1 full 360-deg turn on the rewind lever = xx exposures.

used to do that often, just prepare some masking tape, label the half exposed film, don't get mix up.
a film retriever will be handy if the film leader in totally rewind.

:bsmilie: Sigh. I rewinded too much and all went back into the canister. LOL. Tried to catch the film using your method, but cant seem to get it. I guess I will have to forgot the remaining 10+ exposures. Rather than risk ruining the whole roll.

On a side note, is there any way to approximate the rewinding lever? like say... 1 full 360-deg turn on the rewind lever = xx exposures.

just load the usual way, read the frame counter, plus one or two frames forward to play safe

Oh, no lah. I asked about the ratio of turns for the rewinding lever because I can't seem to feel exactly when the rewinding is about to end and just happily rewind until the whole roll goes into the canister (im a buffalo i know :bsmilie:)

I guess a film retriever like you mention is required in my case.

if it is a manual camera, you can feel it by the tension of the rewinder.
once the film leader leave the take up spool, the tension loosen, it is safe to open the back cover.

mine is a auto rewind camera, and I prefer to rewind totally, in case I forgot to label it and treat it as new roll.....

Actually there's only one good lab here that does b&w negs. They happen to be the only one that stocks up slides too. Anyway, I bought a film picker from them as I foresee myself possibly in this situation again in future. Heh.

Tks for all the help arto, catchlights, nikonrus and fatigue :)

This is probably going to sound very silly. But I accidentally hit the film rewind button when squeezing my camera back into the bag. No problem if I had already finished the roll, but I sitll have got about 10 exposures left on it.

So... Am I doomed to waste those remaining exposures and rewind the entire roll? Or the moment I **** the film advance lever, the "catch" (is there one?) will engage again and I can happily finish the roll of film.

Not those power rewind type right? Then just advance, and take a shot with lens cap on and advance to the next frame and continue shooting.. What the film rewind button does is just disengage the ratchet on the sprocket drive, when you crank the film advance lever, the button will pop back out.

I wonder why that word is censored considered that this is a photography forum and that work is used quite often especially for mechanical cameras.

Not those power rewind type right? Then just advance, and take a shot with lens cap on and advance to the next frame and continue shooting.. What the film rewind button does is just disengage the ratchet on the sprocket drive, when you crank the film advance lever, the button will pop back out.

Yeah no power rewind. The only thing that is powered is the meter heh.

Ah... So advancing will re-engage the ratchet? This was what I was asking in my original post. Because I am not sure if it will re-engage. Or it only re-engages if I pop open the back cover.

I'm a manual newbie. Child of the Digital Age trying to rediscover the basics and fundamentals. :bsmilie:

Wow. Chim DIY method. I think I stick to using the film picker I bought. Heh. At least I have a use for it when I eventually want to venture into developing the film myself. :)

Tks for the link :) Might prove useful to others too.

Yeah no power rewind. The only thing that is powered is the meter heh.

Ah... So advancing will re-engage the ratchet? This was what I was asking in my original post. Because I am not sure if it will re-engage. Or it only re-engages if I pop open the back cover.

I'm a manual newbie. Child of the Digital Age trying to rediscover the basics and fundamentals. :bsmilie:

Film counter will reset when you open the back cover. The rewind button will pop out when you crank the film advance lever. You can try these when there's no film inside. :)

Wow. Chim DIY method. I think I stick to using the film picker I bought. Heh. At least I have a use for it when I eventually want to venture into developing the film myself. :)

Tks for the link :) Might prove useful to others too.
Errr..., you mean developing only B/W film right? Because the color film solution is considered poison :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.