Evaluative
Auto WB
No AE lock used

How come the skin color so different ?

Using Av mode
5.jpg

Using Auto mode
6.jpg

I noticed when using Auto mode ...skin tones all seem better compared to Av,Tv,P mode....
why ah ?

Where did you meter and what's your metering mode? If I'm not wrong, it's mainly cos of these 2 factors....

Kira said:
Where did you meter and what's your metering mode? If I'm not wrong, it's mainly cos of these 2 factors....

Both use evaluative mode

You mean where I AE lock at ?

Auto --> automatic metering yah

Av mode --> I just focus on her, when the red Af box flashes I just shoot.

Should I have AE locked at her face ?

sulhan said:
Hieee...

Did you use Auto White Balance??......
Looks like a change in white balance perhaps....

regards,
me

Yup AutoWB for both :)

I am curious to know how the auto WB works as well. Seems like your 10D decided to give you a higher color temperature for your 2nd shot. Is this work of Artificial Intelligence here? :D (Doing my AI tutorial now.... )

cannot see the pics...

but are teh shutter speeds the same?

if different,
the one with longer shutter speed allows more of the ambient light to set into the pic... hence might have orangish tones (if in indoor warm light)

sprockett said:
longer shutter speed allows more of the ambient light to set into the pic... hence might have orangish tones (if in indoor warm light)

care to elaborate ? :think:

First picture, the camera became a bit nervous because of the expression... :D

Seriously, did you accidentally set exposure compensation to +ve for Av mode? That could account for the slight overexposure. Auto mode will presumably ignore exposure compensation settings, thus resulting in correct exposure.

The diff i think is due to the parameters - the sharpening/contrast/tone/whatever setting.

In Av, 10D uses the parameters you set. In Auto (the green box) the camera makes the decisions.

The Auto one looks better because it is on 'point and shoot' setting. The Av one actually has the potential to look better because the full range of pixel values are within the dynamic range; however, you need to fiddle with the image to optimise it.

The Auto looks good off the camera bcoz it uses a 'standard' optimizing algo, however, it may clip off some highlights or shadows, in an attempt to distribute the pixel values across the full working range

sprockett said:
cannot see the pics...

but are teh shutter speeds the same?

if different,
the one with longer shutter speed allows more of the ambient light to set into the pic... hence might have orangish tones (if in indoor warm light)

can see liao i hope : )

Hieee...Mylo.....

I have taken your two originals and measure up its histogram for both faces and its profile is equal(use photoshop....do selection with the rectangle tool and with the selection active, look at the Image->Adjust->Levels....

mix.jpg

Both the photos selected face "levels" profile is identical. However, the only difference in this case, which may have introduced a slight difference in brightness of the photo is the "glare" area of the top photo which is more.(I have compared the differences in the framing and subjects in theframe and shade it - you see that the subjects in the "frame difference " area ,in this case your photo -are things which have significance influence on the overall photo.

Looks like the color difference is solely due to the Auto White balance(if this was what you have selected). OR.....inconsistency in your IMAGER(sensor) in reproduction of colors(which is less likely).....

1).......try taking some photos of a subject......repeatedly on a Tripod (same frame) and see if it is consistent......metering on same location.

.2)......try taking some photos of a subject......repeatedly on a Tripod (slight shift frame left/right like your photos above) and see if it is consistent......metering on same location.

3) ......Next try with different white balance with the same setup and see the results....

THis will help you characterize your camera and you will learn to adapt to its behaviour and make your photographs more predictable...

Hope these inputs did answer part of your question....

regards,
me

This problem again. Different colors ..why ?!!

Pardon the underexposure okay guys :)

Same settings for ALL modes. Nothing else touched
ISO100
1/125
f 8.0
Auto WB
Evaluative metering

Using Auto Mode
a.jpg

Progam, Av, Tv Manual all give the same color tone as this:
b.jpg

How to correct this ? isit my camera problem ?

problem solved :)

can kick myself ... hahah

Auto (green box) --> sRBG color space
Program, AV, Tv was in adobe RBG color space

Seems like is you use adobe RBG, colors seems to be not very rich.
anyone know why ?

myloplex said:
Seems like is you use adobe RBG, colors seems to be not very rich.
anyone know why ?
That's because web browsers do not recognise the different colourspaces and treat all images as sRGB. If you open the both the sRGB and Adobe RGB images in Photoshop, they will look identical in colour.

The digital photolabs also only recognise sRGB. If you send your photos for printing using Adobe RGB, they will look flatter as well.

linse said:
That's because web browsers do not recognise the different colourspaces and treat all images as sRGB. If you open the both the sRGB and Adobe RGB images in Photoshop, they will look identical in colour.

The digital photolabs also only recognise sRGB. If you send your photos for printing using Adobe RGB, they will look flatter as well.

okay thanxs :)
funny thing I didn't touch my camera settings when I got it. Color was okay.... only after I send it to clean the CMOS at Canon .... then colors seem off....

I found out the color temp was 7K (default 5.2K)
Color space was Adobe RBG (default sRBG)

maybe they did some testing and changed the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.