What happen if you cannot click that shutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WereIs

Mar 30, 2009
What will happen to a full-time photographer if he was unable to click the shutter anymore due to some accidents he just had?

How will he take photos then?

Will he become an assistant photographer?

Hmm...

*deleted*

Last edited:
Its a tragedy.

I ever saw a Photographer with only 1 hand.

If there's a will there's always a way. May God Bless us of what we have now.

Doesnt disability affecting one's job apply almost any profession, and not just photographers?

Doesnt disability affecting one's job apply almost any profession, and not just photographers?

on contract terms, it's possible tht the payout for disability can be jobs specific.

taking TS' example, tht injury will affect a photographer but not a singer, so on contract terms, the singer doesn't get a payout.

BTW, disability income (DI) is only available from aviva or great eastern. if the rest of the companies' agents tell u they have, then it's only similar but not entirely DI

What will happen to a full-time photographer if he was unable to click the shutter anymore due to some accidents he just had?

Hmm...

My friend was telling me about this insurance coverage just for full-time photographers.
I think its a good investment and coverage for us. If you guys interested, just pm me. i'll pass his contact. :)

gd suggestion :thumbsup:

but i hope you aren't the insurance agent yourself and jus trying to create more business opportunities :)

my apologies if i wrged you and offended you

cannot click means screwed. yes i am interested.

Hmm...

Firstly, I'm in that situation for the next two years due to a spider bite on the leg in Botswana that filled one leg up with Golden Staph and also due to a major illness last year (pneumonia + H1N1 which lead to respiritory and cardiac failures) which I can tell you is NOT a bundle of fun.

I did have (and still have) income loss insurance that covers me not only for temporary disability but also permanent disability as well as disability overheads (keeping my PA/AP employed, paying general bills for the business etc). It's the best insurance I ever paid out for and all of the years of paying for it each month have really paid themselves back in the past 20 months.

Though I can't wield a camera at present my main international clients and local clients are a very understanding bunch and for the local clients at least my PAAP (what else can I call her) has been doing the work under strict guidance. So far she's done very well too.

In the meantime I'm taking what could best be called "long service leave" haha. Should be back fully at work in 2012 at the latest according to the doctors.

If you're working professionally (self employed) then you should consider such insurnace as well as public liability insurance which is an other MUST have insurance. I currently carry PLI to the value of $40 million USD.

Last edited:
ouch ian. hang in there. btw why do u need PLI for 40mio? r u covering jlo's ass?

In Australia, Public Liability insurance is really essential for running your own business. I think the minimum you need to buy will be 10 millions. That's is the amount I was insured for when I was running the business.

In Singapore, on the other hand, the PL is not so much an issue as compared to Australia, so generally not required but good to have.

Back to the point above, generally, best to make sure that the photographer don't take too much risk in terms of getting work done and make sure you save your back when you are doing your things.

If you are late for appointment, don't speed as you will be late anyway... there are a lot of preventive measure one can do to make sure that he/she can still click that shutter.

Of course, Ian's case is of course lots of bad luck which might not be able to avoid... of course, insurance is good to have.

Hart

can use voice activated gadgets to trigger the shutter.

I've seen sky divers use a mouth trigger to activate their camera shutter. I'm sure with some creativity there can be solutions for different situations.

ouch ian. hang in there. btw why do u need PLI for 40mio? r u covering jlo's ass?

Thanks pokimon! What I copped in Africa was an occupational hazard, the rest is related to it, I'm so !@#^ bored though.

40 Million coverage is to ensure that when I'm working in the US I don't end up with insufficient coverage against the litigation happy types. For example, suppose someone tripped over my tripod leg and then fell head long under a Semi-Trailer which while braking (after sqishing said pedestrian to jam) then hit another truck or a car load of innocents sending them to their maker. I'm liable for the whole shooting match/

In Australia, Public Liability insurance is really essential for running your own business. I think the minimum you need to buy will be 10 millions. That's is the amount I was insured for when I was running the business.

In Singapore, on the other hand, the PL is not so much an issue as compared to Australia, so generally not required but good to have.

Back to the point above, generally, best to make sure that the photographer don't take too much risk in terms of getting work done and make sure you save your back when you are doing your things.

If you are late for appointment, don't speed as you will be late anyway... there are a lot of preventive measure one can do to make sure that he/she can still click that shutter.

Of course, Ian's case is of course lots of bad luck which might not be able to avoid... of course, insurance is good to have.

Hart

Mine was indeed bad luck, being in the wrong place at the wrong time and then having the treatment for the spider bite masking the pneumonia for 7 months. Still as the great philosopher Eh $hitappens once said, life ain't meant to be easy, but does it have to be this effing hard.

Sadly all it takes is a couple of lawsuit happy lawyers and a suitably aggrieved "victim" to push the payouts through the roof. You're dead right though, 10 mill is the minimum down here and most companies are now carrying 20+ mill if your doing anything that's hazardous to a clients welfare (bungee jumping, para-sailing, absailing etc).

can use voice activated gadgets to trigger the shutter.

Vox activated shutter gear's been around since the late 60s or early 70s. I was using one in 1975 that I homebrewed using a standard mechanical cable release and solenoid.

Why do you think a photographer who can't click his shutter can be a P.A.????!!!!!!!!!! :)

A P.A. has more work to do physically than a photographer per se.

Many years ago I ever assisted a word top photographer whom can't focus due to his old age.
I was his eye, his donkey, his lighting man but I can never replace him as a top photographer in the eye of his client.

Firstly, I'm in that situation for the next two years due to a spider bite on the leg in Botswana that filled one leg up with Golden Staph and also due to a major illness last year (pneumonia + H1N1 which lead to respiritory and cardiac failures) which I can tell you is NOT a bundle of fun.

I did have (and still have) income loss insurance that covers me not only for temporary disability but also permanent disability as well as disability overheads (keeping my PA/AP employed, paying general bills for the business etc). It's the best insurance I ever paid out for and all of the years of paying for it each month have really paid themselves back in the past 20 months.

Though I can't wield a camera at present my main international clients and local clients are a very understanding bunch and for the local clients at least my PAAP (what else can I call her) has been doing the work under strict guidance. So far she's done very well too.

In the meantime I'm taking what could best be called "long service leave" haha. Should be back fully at work in 2012 at the latest according to the doctors.

If you're working professionally (self employed) then you should consider such insurnace as well as public liability insurance which is an other MUST have insurance. I currently carry PLI to the value of $40 million USD.

Where can you buy income loss insurance? From my understanding, the premiums are very high right?

Where can you buy income loss insurance? From my understanding, the premiums are very high right?

Most general business insurers have it or talk to a broker. Mine is part of a fairly hefty package that I have that covers my gear, public liability, income (disability) insurance and various other indemnities etc.

It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either, in Australia it's about a 4% to 10% premium depending on your occupation and the actuaries assessment of the chances of incapacitation or injury.

Mine will more than pay for itself in this illness alone as the total time out may well be 4 years.

:)
"What will happen to a full-time photographer if he was unable to click the shutter anymore due to some accidents he just had?"
just borrow another hand. the artistic talent will always be his and his only.
the foresight for colors, composition, etc etc is all through experience. like how beethoven can compose music while being deaf. its deep in that person. nothing can remove it.

with technology moving so quickly, you never know, the shutter may become obsolete. just yesterday cars had keys, and now everything's going keyless.

hey man speedy recovery ya.

yep. (y) all the best to u ian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.